Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #136

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
While you talk with them, please also tell them that it is a bit embarrasing that German company Dörr is the only one producing new extension tubes with KA contacts right now. ...
This is interesting, really interesting. Never heard about Dörr before.

I googletranslated the description of the tubes Google Translate
It says "transfer of all program and automatic functions (except AF)" do you know that this is correct, or is it just something they claim?

05-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I Just found this link to a place (McBain Camera in Canada that has the new Kenko converter 2x with )

The KENKO TelePlus MC7 AF 2.0X DGX converter

Kenko TelePlus MC7 AF 2.0x DGX Tele-Converter (Pentax) - Canada, Edmonton, McBain Camera

Anyone know anything about ?
05-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Strange, Kenko website says: Mount Available for: Canon-EOS* / Nikon-AF / Sony Alpha

http://kenkoglobal.com/TP-MC7AF2X-DGX.html
05-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #139
Site Supporter

I'm in...

they've needed some teleconverters for about 35 years now....should have BOTH SDM and screwdrive to satisfy the backlog of people WAITING SINCE THE 80'S....

And just for the record, I have the F*1.7 autofocus adapter to go with my F* 300 f=4.5

Cheers,
Cameron

05-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Strange, Kenko website says: Mount Available for: Canon-EOS* / Nikon-AF / Sony Alpha
I've written Kenko, to ask if they can clarify.. and to ask if there will be any units at the Toronto Photography, Video and Digital Imaging show, later this month. I'll also be phoning McBain to see if they know what the scoop is. Really, it looks like with my F4 lens, I'd be restricted to the 1.4 lens to keep auto focus.. if it will work at all with SDM or DC.
05-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #141
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
This is interesting, really interesting. Never heard about Dörr before.

I googletranslated the description of the tubes Google Translate
It says "transfer of all program and automatic functions (except AF)" do you know that this is correct, or is it just something they claim?
German copmany that makes some usefull stuff. Currently (to my knowledge) the only KA tubes in production. CyberPhoto - Digitalkameror, videokameror och fototillbehör. Personlig service på nätet! carries them: Mellanringar systemkameror Dörr Mellanringsats 13/21/31mm till Pentax
Presume they would take an order from Norway.
Note: their pic is of the Nikon version, but the pentax version has all 7 KA contacts (but no SDM and no screw drive).
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #142

Thanks a lot Douglas With the current currency situation (pun intended) it is a lot cheaper buying them from Cyberphoto than buying them directly.

The lack of A-extension tubes has bugged me for a long time.
05-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #143
Pentaxian

I talked to McBains this morning, the Kenko 2x converter listed above is not SDM or DC compatible. It has only the screw drive. So, once again... I'm out of luck.

05-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Douglas_of_Sweden
very interesting,i will talk about with pentax end of may in hamburg.
and i show this poll,also my poll in the german pentax forum.
pentax us and germany would bring the converter,but headquarter in tokyo like it more to crop
Best Regards,Andy
05-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
@Douglas_of_Sweden
very interesting,i will talk about with pentax end of may in hamburg.
and i show this poll,also my poll in the german pentax forum.
pentax us and germany would bring the converter,but headquarter in tokyo like it more to crop
Best Regards,Andy
It's clear that Tokyo's business strategies have worked very well for them over the years, it's why they are market leaders .......
05-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #146

waiting for Pentax converter with SDM support
05-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #147
Pentaxian

One of the reasons I was forced to switch to Nikon was the lack of choice in Pentax mounted reliable TCs. I've now bought a 1.4x and a 1.7x in Nikon, fully working with their SWM and fantastic IQ.

QuoteOriginally posted by Male Gorilla Quote
1. The camera has 1 position for FF|BF fine tuning for each lens. The FF|BF behavior of a lens with a convertor is different. Only manual focusing is precise.
Incorrect, if done right. The finetune focus on my D300s recognises the TCs and a separate value for FF or BF can be stored for a lens with AND without the TC. So my 70-200 has 3 values stored, by itself, with the 1.4x and with the 1.7x.
QuoteQuote:
2. The SR receives wrong info about the focal length of the lens when a converter is mounted and spoils images.
Also incorrect if done right. The exif for my lens shows the FL including the TC factor, so at 200mm with the 1.4x the FL shows as 280mm, so SR would cope.
QuoteQuote:
3. I've got a Kenko 2x TC7, il spoils the IQ greatly for most of the lenses. The most suitable lenses for this TC are 43lim and 77lim.
With my 1.4x on the difference in IQ is negligible.
05-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #148
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm wondering why you didn't include a 1.7?

IN any case I'm currently desperate for a TC, any TC that will work.

SO, get this, their suggestion is that I spend $1500 and carry a second heavy lens, to get 50mmm more than my 60-250? To me, this is a joke.. and as a Pentax employee, I'd be embarrassed to send something like that out.

Sure I'd like a 1.4-1.7 HSM TC, and I'd gladly pay $350-450 Canadian for it, if it maintained IQ..I'm not one of those that theorize a TC has to negatively affect IQ... But, I think Pentax as a company needs this way more than I do.
You know the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ works with SDM, right? The challenge will be finding one though. Doesn't look like the tom1803 has any for sale at the moment though. You could always put up a looking to buy thread in the marketplace.
05-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #149
Veteran Member

The canon TC's work the same way with separate focus adjustments for the different combos. I wonder if the k-mount needs more contacts to make the sdm TC's work properly. The canon has 2 or 3 pins just so the camera knows which TC is installed and if you put tape on the pins to try and get a non 1 series body to focus at less than f 5.6, it hunts like the kenko 1.5x used to on my DA300mm. Just a thought.???
05-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@Arpe
What did you pay for the Nikon converters???