Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #106

Photos: Gallery
As I see it the converter is a solution to the problem Pentax does not have any long lenses, and if they did they might not be in reach anyway. Of course in some situations it would be flexible to carry a converter rather than a long tele, but for me the focus is more of getting 500-600mm. I have almost given up though and will likely order a Sigma 150-500 in a week or two. I have been waiting for a 500-600 or a 2x converter for more years than I can remember (and no, a 600/4 for 10k is not an option). So from that perspective I would probably give 700-1000$ for a really good 2x converter that works with my DA200 and DA300. But if quality would just be like a Sigma zoom, 300-400$ is more reasonable.

/PA

04-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #107

Hi!

I'd rather prefer a 1,4x TC with DA* high quality and SDM compatibility.

Acceptable price would be around US$ 300.

The DA* SDM lenses offer superb quality and f/2.8 f/4 apertures, so one or two f steps wouldn't be a problem.

The lens roadmap circa September 2009 did include a TC.
04-28-2011, 02:42 AM   #108

I'd be interested in 1.4x and/or 1.7x DA* SDM
04-28-2011, 03:14 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
But what about a very good converter 1,4 x for 450€ and you can crop because he is so good???
Geez, Andi what are you talking about ?

04-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #110
Veteran Member

Too little, too late. A new SDM converter will be nothing more than a severe anti-climax. Pentax don't need a converter but new lenses!
04-28-2011, 04:54 AM   #111
Pentaxian

But what about a very good converter 1,4 x for 450€ and you can crop because he is so good???
Too expensive for me, but other's mileage may vary.

Question: Which longer lenses outresolve today's sensors by more than a factor of 1.5 or 2 so that their combination which a TC makes sense? Wouldn't a TC have to be matched to specific optical designs to work best (Sigma has these "matched" TCs)?

A TC matched to a specific lens may make sense optically but is of course less versatile than a typical "generic" TC. I've yet to come across one generic TC that I'd find worthwhile using.
04-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #112
Pentaxian

So,actually new try.Please little bit more realistic
It is not possible to made a high quality converter in same range like DA*300 for 200€ or $.
Compare here,

Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Konverter - Canon EF

Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Tele bei billiger.de - Preisvergleich mit TÜV-Zertifikat

Good Picture Quality,same range like DA*300
1,4x
WR,SDM.
approx. 450€

is it interesting?
Low PQ is not wanted.

Best regards,Andy
I want to ad a second idea to this project:

When they make a SDM TC you have a second oppertunity:

Make also a SDM working extensiontube since it is only the same TC just without the glass. This we can use for macro, micro and close-up photography. I would want this one!
04-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Let me add the following. I want a 1,4x converter ONLY if they decide to bring out a FF camera. Because with a 1,4x converter all the APS-C DA lenses are suddenly Full Frame on a Full Frame body

04-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I want to ad a second idea to this project:

When they make a SDM TC you have a second oppertunity:

Make also a SDM working extensiontube since it is only the same TC just without the glass. This we can use for macro, micro and close-up photography. I would want this one!
+1 what Ron said. I have a Tamron 1.4 that works well with the DA-300. For some reason, i have never tried to use it with my 50-135. With the greater ISO capability of the newer cameras, might consider making it a 1.7 TC in the Pentax tradition. I also like the SDM extension tube idea.

We do see the 1.4 tc requests a lot so i think Pentax should address the issue
The Sigma 2X tc is an odd duck, i think on their site it only works with a Sigma 100-300 zoom.
04-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm wondering why you didn't include a 1.7?

IN any case I'm currently desperate for a TC, any TC that will work. I'm not interested in carrying bigger lenses, I'm a hike and find things guy, not a walk a few steps and wait for it to come to me. To me, the absence of any TC, is the biggest weakness in the Pentax line. Especially since there are no production lenses over 300mm. The mindset that thinks they can be a player in a market dominated by Canon and Nikon, with no in house method of getting over 300mm , when you think about it is pretty astounding. It wasn't always this way. I remember a friend when I was younger pulling out his dad's 600mm Pentax birding lens. At that time they were determined to be competitive with anyone... now.. they only appeal to landscape artists. Once you move into wildlife etc. they have no interest in you. At least that's what thier product line is saying.

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting Pentax.

At this time the longest lens PENTAX makes in either telephoto zoom or prime is 300mm. The best quality long lens would be the DA* 300mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM. This lens has a built-in supersonic focus motor for quick and quiet autofocus but it does add to the weight of the lens. The lens weighs in at 37.7 oz. For complete specifications on this and all our current production lenses you can visit Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
SO, get this, their suggestion is that I spend $1500 and carry a second heavy lens, to get 50mmm more than my 60-250? To me, this is a joke.. and as a Pentax employee, I'd be embarrassed to send something like that out.

Sure I'd like a 1.4-1.7 HSM TC, and I'd gladly pay $350-450 Canadian for it, if it maintained IQ..I'm not one of those that theorize a TC has to negatively affect IQ... But, I think Pentax as a company needs this way more than I do.
04-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #116
Veteran Member

I need a Petnax way for getting longer than 300mm. I would rather have a DA*135-400, but could go with a DA*500. A TC will be my third option, but if it is the only option I will get it.
04-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/75212-nature-why-telecon...dont-suck.html
04-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #118

1. The camera has 1 position for FF|BF fine tuning for each lens. The FF|BF behavior of a lens with a convertor is different. Only manual focusing is precise.
2. The SR receives wrong info about the focal length of the lens when a converter is mounted and spoils images.
3. I've got a Kenko 2x TC7, il spoils the IQ greatly for most of the lenses. The most suitable lenses for this TC are 43lim and 77lim.
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #119
Forum Member

i would be interested

If i were them I would come out with one, if only for the sole purpose of getting rid of one of the knocks against the system as a whole. Anytime you read a system debate on any one of the photography forums, one of the things the canikon crowd bring up is the lack of a modern teleconverter in production by anyone (the others being af tracking, flash system, lack of sports glass). If they already have designs for a 1.4, they should go ahead with it. Just make sure it works well with the sigma 120-300 2.8
04-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by narichey81 Quote
If i were them I would come out with one, if only for the sole purpose of getting rid of one of the knocks against the system as a whole. Anytime you read a system debate on any one of the photography forums, one of the things the canikon crowd bring up is the lack of a modern teleconverter in production by anyone (the others being af tracking, flash system, lack of sports glass). If they already have designs for a 1.4, they should go ahead with it. Just make sure it works well with the sigma 120-300 2.8
Hopefully Sigma will get a TC out that is make to be paired up with the 120-300. If so I will get both.