Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Sony is not abandoning the FF market. They have struggled, and will continue to struggle until the get things ironed out, but they will get it ironed out.

08-08-2010, 01:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I have a friend with the A900 FF and he loves it. Its probably the best for continuing sensor design if Sony has an "oar in the water" of camera design. But they certainly don't need that many models.
08-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
New Cameras. No fullframe. But so what? Sony has lost it's shirt on fullframe. The smaller sensors are definitely improving. So Pentax, even in this lousy economy, has new cameras. Shouldn't you be Glad, yeah, yeah,yeah? I would like to see a positivist thread. Is anyone grateful besides me? The news is good.
your argument would had been ok if you mentioned CaNikon instead and not a company which is not even a top seller in the dslr market from the start. point is, you are saying that Sony's FF investment was a failure by virtue of FF is rather illogical. I would contribute such failure at something else like how the product was marketed.
08-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
wll
Veteran Member

Well, when the K-7 came out I was ready to buy, sell both my K-20's and move up. I waited and did not like the high ISO of the K-7, so I waited, bought a Kx and have been very happy.

I'm hoping the K-5 has as good, if not better high ISO than the Kx and a host of other goodies. Don't care about all metal body, want battery pack, fast focusing and good video (did not think I would use video on Kx but I do). Hope they improve DR, which I'm sure they will.

If these features are met and the reports using high ISO are thumbs up (I would love ISO12,800 to be as good as 6400 on Kx, and have the camera go to 25,000, would that be great for low light concert stuff or what), I would sell off at least 3 cameras get a couple K-5's.

wll

08-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
I'm holding out to see if the newest has better ISO capabilities

Thanks, I agree...but he's a she!

And I'll be curious to see what it does to the price of the K7 as well. I"m still not sure which way I will go. I guess I'll figure it out when the newest model is released.
I would wait a bit if I were you.
08-09-2010, 04:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel Pusher Quote
If you have the money for a K-7 already, why not get it?

I don't understand folks that are on a continuous "Wait for it" cycle anymore than I understand those who feel the need to constantly upgrade.
There could be a number of reason for this, though from a consumer standpoint, its most likely due to people looking to get the most out of their money.

Though on the prosumer end of things, it's most likely to remain competitive and of course to take advantage of new and improved features. I mean, in all fairness... where do we draw the line of criticism with respect to unwarranted upgrades? pinhole? film? point and shoot? the Ds? - Suddenly... it's not so black and white anymore is it?

Truth is, we are all on the improvement bandwaggon. Otherwise, we'd still be running horse and buggies
08-09-2010, 05:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
There could be a number of reason for this, though from a consumer standpoint, its most likely due to people looking to get the most out of their money.
Unfortunately it's a never ending circle.

The new model will come out and a lot of people that were waiting to replace their K10D/K20D will think .. nice, just what I need, will just wait for the price to be reduced a bit as I don't want to pay the early adopters price. Soon the new model will be 6 months old, the weaknesses will be apparent and the buyer starts to think .. well, a few more months and there will be a new new model soon so maybe I will wait for that now.

I know because I did exactly that with the K20D and K-7 ... the only reason I bought a new K-7 last month was because I got it at such a low price I could sell my battered 3 year old K10D and the proceeds would more than cover it.

08-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #23

I'd sure be very happy if I could get a new body for my trip to Madagascar this November... High ISO would come in handy!!
08-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Sony lost its shirt on the PS3, but it's still selling them.
Sony has lots of shirts.

I don't think Sony is a good comparison point for any company, even another Japanese CE and Technology company. Their products and culture is just too quirky.
08-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
New Cameras. No fullframe. But so what? Sony has lost it's shirt on fullframe. The smaller sensors are definitely improving. So Pentax, even in this lousy economy, has new cameras. Shouldn't you be Glad, yeah, yeah,yeah? I would like to see a positivist thread. Is anyone grateful besides me? The news is good.
News? What news? So far, all I've seen are rumors and there have been rumors about FF too, so I don't know if there is anything to get really excited about yet.
I'm not saying I need FF to get excited, just saying everything is still pretty vague.

/Tommy
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #26
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel Pusher Quote
If you have the money for a K-7 already, why not get it?

I don't understand folks that are on a continuous "Wait for it" cycle anymore than I understand those who feel the need to constantly upgrade.
I would get a K-7, but don't fancy the idea of doing a 30 min. recording in Bulb mode when all I want is 15 minute recording in Bulb. I hope Pentax fixes that
08-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #27
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jpoint Quote
Sony are losing money for the FF and there is rumour that they may want to abandon it.
He-he...Sony just announced new FF lenses - 24/2 and 85/2.8, for example.
Sony unveils 24mm F2, 35mm F1.8 and 85mm F2.8 Alpha lenses: Digital Photography Review
08-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #28

Original Poster
Well, I started this post because of the high state of anticipation at Pentax potentially releasing new cameras soon. Not a contentious assertion I would have thought. Even in the absence of a Full Frame model I am feeling very positive about Pentax, and I am grateful that it looks like the company is charging forward in this troubled economic climate.

You boys can quibble about whatever you want, but there is no way you're going to rain on my parade. I'm happy and excited. I can't wait for some good hard news next month.

Now go ahead and quote me and tell me I'm imagining things, or being illogical.
Hijack this humble thread. The excitement has returned. Stop it if you can!

Last edited by jeff knight; 08-09-2010 at 05:39 PM.