Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #1

The Excitement Returns...

New Cameras. No fullframe. But so what? Sony has lost it's shirt on fullframe. The smaller sensors are definitely improving. So Pentax, even in this lousy economy, has new cameras. Shouldn't you be Glad, yeah, yeah,yeah? I would like to see a positivist thread. Is anyone grateful besides me? The news is good.

Last edited by jeff knight; 08-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.
08-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm excited - I don't really care all that much about FF - show me ISO improvements, improved video recording options, new lenses, etc. An EVIL or interchangable lens compact is just icing on the cake. I'm still using a K200D, with the intent on upgrading to whatever comes after the K-7!
08-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #3

I am Very excited! A new body named K-R, what more could you wish to fulfill the promise of at leat a year full of real, genuine, good Rant.
08-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Sony are losing money for the FF and there is rumour that they may want to abandon it.
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
New Cameras. No fullframe. But so what? Sony has lost it's shirt on fullframe. The smaller sensors are definitely improving. So Pentax, even in this lousy economy, has new cameras. Shouldn't you be Glad, yeah, yeah,yeah? I would like to see a positivist thread. Is anyone grateful besides me? The news is good.

08-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Is anyone grateful besides me? The news is good
I'm very excited to hear the news on the newest body that replaces the K7. I have enough saved for the K7, but am patiently waiting news on the newest body before I buy. I LOVE my K10, so I'm sure I'll love whatever body I buy to replace it. (The K10 will become my second body, I will never part with that camera)

I love reading all the new posts each day talking about the new camera, rumors, discussions on FF or not FF. It gets me even mroe anxious and excited!
08-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
New Cameras. No fullframe. But so what? Sony has lost it's shirt on fullframe.
Sony lost its shirt on the PS3, but it's still selling them.
08-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #7

If you have the money for a K-7 already, why not get it?

I don't understand folks that are on a continuous "Wait for it" cycle anymore than I understand those who feel the need to constantly upgrade.

08-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaddigad Quote
I am Very excited! A new body named K-R, what more could you wish to fulfill the promise of at leat a year full of real, genuine, good Rant.
. . . and the Kr will be followed up in 6 months with the improved version called the Kr-p.
08-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel Pusher Quote

I don't understand folks that are on a continuous "Wait for it" cycle anymore than I understand those who feel the need to constantly upgrade.
It's his money, he can do what he wants with it.
08-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
The New Line

It's over two years since I've posted but now that a new line is coming out I have to say that I am waiting for the K-7 upgrade...Maybe...I have a K10D and it is my go to camera over my Nikon D200..Now that here is an upgrade coming I am holding off on my next purchase. I love the K10D and with the Sigma 24-135 f/2.8 lens it is the best combo around. If the K-7 enhancements aren't that outstanding I will upgrade to the K20D. It fits my needs. But I hold all the anticipation that all of you have....Go get im Pentax
Ted
08-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #11

Well if the new sensor is aps-c and as good as N!kons D700, I'm excited. My friends shoots with a D700, gotta love the high ISO capabilities, eventhough he complains over the weight, but I think it has to do with the fact that those who shoot with that brand is weak
08-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pixel Pusher Quote
If you have the money for a K-7 already, why not get it? ...
Well, in my case, I am hoping that the release of the K-5 (if that is what it is) will provide an opportunity to grab a K-7 at reduced price. Either new with a price drop or from one of you guys who dump your K-7 body in the "for sale" forum to make room for the new one.
08-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I'm beginning to get excited....I wanted the K7 but as great as it is with some very fine features, it does not provide better IQ that my K20D, which is as fine a camera as you can find at the current available prices....maybe the finest.

I am positive the K7 replacement will give me high ISO equal to or better than my K20D, and also provide those features the K7 has that I am missing. Pentax has a good record of correcting shortcomings from model to model, so I rest assured they will get this one just right...like they did with the K20D, which will remain my backup.

FF- Don't need it and the drawbacks are too many for my particular use. If I went that direction, it would be the 645D, but I don't need that either.

FF is very costly to go to, and the advantage is not noticeable to most shooters in my category.....Very Amateur. I read a nice article last week by Ken Rockwell.... (I know, most hate him)....but he had some worthy information in his very high praise for the D700....the D300 was fully equal in most normal shooting/printing situations. If you need speed, and print very large, then you might benefit from FF...at a price. It is not necessary for Pentax to go FF to keep my business, the feature rich cameras they provide are fully adequate for me.
Regards!
08-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'm holding out to see if the newest has better ISO capabilities

QuoteQuote:
It's his money, he can do what he wants with it.
Thanks, I agree...but he's a she!

And I'll be curious to see what it does to the price of the K7 as well. I"m still not sure which way I will go. I guess I'll figure it out when the newest model is released.
08-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
I'm holding out to see if the newest has better ISO capabilities

Thanks, I agree...but he's a she!

And I'll be curious to see what it does to the price of the K7 as well. I"m still not sure which way I will go. I guess I'll figure it out when the newest model is released.
Don't expect it to do much to the price. There will be such a spread between the two cameras I bet, that one product will not likely encroach upon the other.