Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I did extensive research on Samsung two years ago in preparation to make a large buy ( for me, it was large) of Samsung stock. There is some very good historical records out there on how Samsung attains market positions fairly rapidly in areas that are new to them. Almost all acquisitions start out as small "partnerships" on research and design, limited production, etc.......if the knowledge gained looks promising, they consume the target when the price is at Samsungs optimum advantage.

If you read the thread here......"Who is going to buy Pentax" it could be that the time has arrived? The corporation has some very deep pockets, and this would be a small purchase for them in the scope of their giant conglomeration. At one time I had an inside source at Samsung, and was getting some very interesting feedback, but that dried up over a year ago......I have no idea why, I never said a word about anything I had learned, but they are also well known for running a very tight ship.

Just speculation, but from reading that Citi report, it does make me wonder? Depending on the direction Samsung went with Pentax, it could be a very beneficial acquisition for Pentax shooters. It wasn't too long ago that a Samsung TV was a rare sight.......now they are a Major player in every retail outlet in America. They do know their business, no matter what that business happens to be.
Regards

08-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
. . .
Just speculation, but from reading that Citi report, it does make me wonder? Depending on the direction Samsung went with Pentax, it could be a very beneficial acquisition for Pentax shooters. It wasn't too long ago that a Samsung TV was a rare sight.......now they are a Major player in every retail outlet in America. They do know their business, no matter what that business happens to be.
Regards
So does Wal-Fart. In fact, they have probably hocked a substantial amount of Samsung stuff via W.M. & Sam's. I don't see Samsung ending up with Pentax though.
08-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #18

Samsung won´t buy Pentax, they are not interesting anymore for it.
They already have their own system, they have the technology and they know how to sell a product.

SJ Park, the actual Samsung Electronic CEO is changing everything.
He was the Samsung representative for Samsung LCD in Asia 3 years ago and he changed the market from Sony to Samsung.
When he came to Samsung Electronic changed the mind of the camera division. They just made low price camera and sold a lot of component and technology stuff for almost very camera maker company and he proposed make new and advanced cameras.
The DualView system on a few Samsung camera is a example of what he wants, nice interesting cameras, cheaper and good cameras and advanced useful cameras.
The NX system is almost totally of him.

One good signal that you can see about what Samsung will do is the Mobile Phone division.
Samsung was at the same level in this division than digital imaging and camera, but since 2 years ago SJ Park is changing the Smartphone market, the new Galaxy S series, Wave and the coming Galaxy Q and Tablets are good signs of the take off of the Samsung technology.
Right now Samsung is pushing the camera and camcorder division, are coming new advanced cameras, more cameras with wireless communication (WiFi and 3G), new camcorder with nice features like Solid-State-Disk, Wifi, AMOLED display, new CMOS back-light sensors, FullHD format, etc.
The next year the Camera Department of Samsung will be like the Mobile Phone department right now.

What I expect for next year...
-New NX cameras, with wireless connection, FullHD video and advanced features
-New NX-mount videocameras (like Sony NEX-VG10)
-More fixed and short zoom lenses
-Advanced compact cameras with CMOS sensors instead CCD
-New camcorder line products with wireless connection and FullHD
08-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I've recently ended up with a Samsung TV, cell phone, microwave oven - why not a camera? Fine by me. Can't see it being any worse than being owned by some outfit that knows how to make clear glass.
I've been shooting a Samsung Digimax V3 P&S since February 2004, thousands of shots. It is mind boggling that Samsung can produce such a fine camera. One doesn't think of them as a camera manufacturer, certainly. However, my V3 is loaded with features including a VF as well as LCD, NiMH support (and lots of other power options), auto & manual controls. I got a lot for my money. I just picked up a K-x 2 lens kit, but I will continue to use the Samsung for P&S duties.

08-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
A camera system is a long-term investment for me, especially the lenses, and I want long-term support from a company clearly committed to optics and cameras.
That is a valid point, and an important one. It's also a reason that many have used when leaving or not buying Pentax But you are right, nobody wants to buy a camera and a handful of lenses then see that brand abandon the system 12 months later.

I have no idea what Samsung plans on doing, but I look at Panasonic and see that it is possible for an electronics company to get involved in digital cameras and stay committed. If Panny has done it, maybe Sammy will too

08-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Panny? Mmm I wouldn't say they were very commited to their Fourthird offering...
µ43 sure but not Fourthird.
08-24-2010, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I think the Samsung sensors are better than their reputation, but they did give Pentax a black eye. The K10d and the K-x were a surprise when they were released against the competition (not Samsung). The sensor from the K20d and K-7 (Samsung) and their ISO performance compared to the competition were contentious to say the least.
It turns out the K20D had when it was released the best APS sensor available. It has less noise even today compared to Nikon's D300 in RAW. All tests done back then were JPEG at default settings; no one knew how good it was until DPR reviewed the K-7 and found the older K20D outperformed it and the Canon 50D and Nikons D300s in RAW noise and detail.

Now that was a black eye. Samsung had to make the two channel K20D sensor into a 4 channel sensor (4 channels = more noise versus 2) and make it able to do video. This is said to have added just a touch of noise. But even just a touch was going backward in the ISO war. I bet Sony was a bit worried Samsung would take a large chunk of its sensor market and gave Pentax a sensor like no other (in the un-real K-x), and really made Samsung look bad.

Just IMHO the K20D did not give Pentax a black eye in anyway, the K-7 gave Samsung one in sensors. Now look at what Sony is putting out.

I like Samsung and wish they would compete in sensors, we all would win.