Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where is Samsung?

With all the rumors flying about Sony, and speculation on FF sensors it is amazingly quiet when it comes to Samsung? I do recall that they quickly engineered the sensor in the K20D, not a bad job either, and doubt that they stopped their R&D there......
They have stated in the past that their goal was to be the #1 Camera retailer within ten years.....and I haven't heard them back away from that statement. While other companies are struggling, Samsung remains one of the top ten corporations in the world. This will give you some idea of their size and operating procedures....
Samsung Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am betting that somewhere in the near future, we are going to see a major move from Samsung......maybe it will be in innovation, or maybe a takeover, after all they could easily buy any current camera mfg without strain.....Hoya included.

We were all surprised by the Samsung sensor in the K20D...will we be surprised again?
Regards!

08-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Who designed the sensors for the K20d and K-7? I think it was a collaborative thing. However, Pentax has bought sensors from at least 3 companies at present, Sony, Samsung and Kodak. Immediate releases remain to be seen. Samsung is a large corporation with many things unrelated to photography going on. They got in the ball game with Pentax. However, to answer your question, they are in Korea.
08-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Who designed the sensors for the K20d and K-7? I think it was a collaborative thing. However, Pentax has bought sensors from at least 3 companies at present, Sony, Samsung and Kodak. Immediate releases remain to be seen. Samsung is a large corporation with many things unrelated to photography going on. They got in the ball game with Pentax. However, to answer your question, they are in Korea.
I have a Samsung floor fan in my office for the hottest summer days in St. Louis.
08-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think Samsung and Pentax have parted ways. I would be surprised to see a Samsung sensor in the next Pentax.

08-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Samsung/Pentaxtime is over.
Sony and Kodak are still the Sensorproducer for Pentax.
The Samsung NX Lenses are complete not Pentaxmade,flashsystem is different.
The K20/K-7 Sensor was 80% Samsung/20% Pentaxdevelopment.So says Pentax.
08-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the Samsung sensors are better than their reputation, but they did give Pentax a black eye. The K10d and the K-x were a surprise when they were released against the competition (not Samsung). The sensor from the K20d and K-7 (Samsung) and their ISO performance compared to the competition were contentious to say the least.
08-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've always seen Samsung as a manufacturer of reasonably solid (though never first rate) and sensibly priced white goods - TVs, fridge-freezers, fans, microwaves, washing machines, etc. I simply don't want to buy a camera from an outfit like that, any more than I'd want to buy a motorcycle or a hi-fi from them. I want to buy a camera from a company that loves and understands cameras. Ditto with a few other items that are about more than box-shifting. Pentax can't rid themselves of their connection with Samsung too soon, imho. I don't think Sony is much better and price-wise they are worse but at least they are capable, on occasion, of producing first-rate products - some of their sensors and some of their electrical goods, for example.

08-08-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rumor

QuoteQuote:
“A kind of noise caused by many large companies the agreement between the three incoming. The agreement will create a high-end photographers, photo artists and creators to create the new system.
Samsung, Schneider – Kreuznach finishing and Alpa is a big deal to create a photographic Association (SSA) to create the first fully digital, medium format camera system.
Samsung Electronics, Mr. President, Secretary Department of Justice Park said: “Each company in each of the consortium of professional and high quality system for the medium format of the sensitive components of the professional, we have completed the first medium-format CMOS sensor, and the first model electronic components. ”
Schneider Optics CEO Dwight Lindsey said: “To our actual Alpa lens system will fit with the new system, we have taken the same mount, but we are working on a new formula for the optical system and fully electronic oriented. ”
In fact, we do not have information, or in this new system will be published.

They are talking about a new system, MF cmos sensor and schneider lenses.”
¼g¯u°g - °Q½×°Ï

If this is true, it seems that Samsung is following Pentax in having an APS-C line and a MF line.
08-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I've always seen Samsung as a manufacturer of reasonably solid (though never first rate) and sensibly priced white goods - TVs, fridge-freezers, fans, microwaves, washing machines, etc.
But that's simply an artifact of what they happen to market under the Samsung brand in your country — nothing to do with what the company (one of the largest conglomerates in the world) makes, or makes its money from.
08-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
¼g¯u°g - °Q½×°Ï

If this is true, it seems that Samsung is following Pentax in having an APS-C line and a MF line.
QuoteQuote:
Samsung, Schneider – Kreuznach finishing and Alpa is a big deal to create a photographic Association (SSA) to create the first fully digital, medium format camera system.
I think they are too late unless they mean they are working on an EVIL MF.
08-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
But that's simply an artifact of what they happen to market under the Samsung brand in your country — nothing to do with what the company (one of the largest conglomerates in the world) makes, or makes its money from.
They are a conglomerate. That's the whole point. Nikon, Oly, Canon, Pentax, Hoya, Cosina, Leica, Hassy and Zeiss, can trace their history back to optics. Even the current Konica-Minolta can. It seems that they need collaboration to pull things off.

QuoteQuote:
Schneider – Kreuznach finishing and Alpa
Alpa isn't exactly known for building budget goods. A parternship with them and Samsung will be interesting to watch unless Samsung bought them.
08-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I simply don't want to buy a camera from an outfit like that, any more than I'd want to buy a motorcycle or a hi-fi from them. I want to buy a camera from a company that loves and understands cameras.
Funny you should say this because, in my opinion, Samsung have released the best feeling and handling MILC so far: The NX10. I've shot the Olympus E-PL1 and currently shooting the Panasonic G2; they're both very good cameras, but when I walk out the door to do my own shooting, it's the NX10 I pick up.

Samsung is a huge corporation, and the guys making toasters or microwaves are not the same guys making cameras. There is a separate camera department, and Samsung recently created an independent optics department. If Samsung hires the right people to work these departments (people who love photography and understand cameras and lenses) then they'll produce great cameras. From what I can tell after using the NX10, that's exactly what they've done.

In short: Don't be prejudiced against Samsung just because they're a big company with interests in many areas of technology

08-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
. . .
In short: Don't be prejudiced against Samsung just because they're a big company with interests in many areas of technology

Big corporate conglomerates aren't known to be in any single thing for the long haul. A market shift and decisions at the top often come from people that don't know the difference in a banana and a telephoto lens. That said, how long does it take your NX10 to pop the pop corn?
08-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Funny you should say this because, in my opinion, Samsung have released the best feeling and handling MILC so far: The NX10. I've shot the Olympus E-PL1 and currently shooting the Panasonic G2; they're both very good cameras, but when I walk out the door to do my own shooting, it's the NX10 I pick up.

Samsung is a huge corporation, and the guys making toasters or microwaves are not the same guys making cameras. There is a separate camera department, and Samsung recently created an independent optics department. If Samsung hires the right people to work these departments (people who love photography and understand cameras and lenses) then they'll produce great cameras. From what I can tell after using the NX10, that's exactly what they've done.

It's a fair point and there's no answer beyond, perhaps, personal preference and the demands of the luxury game (which Pentax certainly touches). I don't believe huge corporations, especially ones from the Far East, have a good record of supporting their products; more often, they seem to do the minimum before dropping support entirely. That's certainly my experience of the PC world. A camera system is a long-term investment for me, especially the lenses, and I want long-term support from a company clearly committed to optics and cameras. Huge corporations aren't committed in the same way, imho.

However, the larger point is integrity. I wouldn't buy a Leica if I knew that half the parts in it were made by Hyundai. Who would? Or a Ferrari or Lambo made in a Lada factory with cabin trim out of a Ford Focus. Pentax equipment costs quite a lot, at least to me, and for that I want the best I can get. It may be that Samsung will turn out to make cracking good, marvellous sensors that are the envy of Sony. However, my guess is that they won't. They will settle for second best and minimal support, because that is what Samsung have always done.
08-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I've recently ended up with a Samsung TV, cell phone, microwave oven - why not a camera? Fine by me. Can't see it being any worse than being owned by some outfit that knows how to make clear glass.