Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

it walks...

08-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
In the same way that Leica turned to Panasonic...
Are you sure about that?
Leica seems to be very profitable and maybe Panasonic asked them to borrow their name, just like Sony and others borrow the "Zeiss" name.

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
The translation "duck" should have been "canard" or "newspaper hoax".
08-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That may be a Chinon made lens. Asahi Optical actually made some of the SMC Taks in a special Alpa mount. The 15mm and 45-125 SMC were 2 of them.
There is an Alpa 11 for sale on flea-bait at the moment with one of the Taks.

Black Alpa 11 el Takumar 1,8/55mm Mint Box - eBay (item 350375767257 end time Aug-22-10 10:05:13 PDT)
05-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey,
Intriguing Samsung camera on this page :
Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | Samsung talks about the future
It looks like a medium format body.

05-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
That's is Alpa, a company perpetually in need of money.
Is that every company, though? It's whether they can meet that need which is the deciding factor in their survival.

I'm a cheeky bugger, I know!

Last edited by Pentax Convert; 05-18-2011 at 03:42 PM.
05-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Hey,
Intriguing Samsung camera on this page :
Mirrorless Rumors | Blog | Samsung talks about the future
It looks like a medium format body.
Yes, it looks like one; but that doesn't mean it is one.
I bet it's just another NX-series design study.
05-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #22

It's this one:
Is this Samsung's first medium format digital camera? -- Engadget
05-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #23

I think samsung would be daft entering into that market even with an Alpa tie up, and cannot beleive this is a serious venture.

It is a relatively small market (by comparison to aps-c, and P&S) that already - as stated- has some key players in it. The R&D costs v return must be very limited unless they are extortionally priced, but even then they would need to sell bucket loads to recoup costs.
Since samsung are considered to be at the lower end of photographic cameras (bodywise) I fail to see the benefits of such a massive jump into that market, especially since they are pouring millions into the NEX range as well -unless of course they have Alpa funding a lot of it.

woody

05-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Are you sure about that?
Leica seems to be very profitable and maybe Panasonic asked them to borrow their name, just like Sony and others borrow the "Zeiss" name.
Really? Leica was falling down the tubes so fast a decade ago they broke the speed of sound.
05-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #25
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, it looks like one; but that doesn't mean it is one.
I bet it's just another NX-series design study.
It's MF camera prototype. It's confirmed info.
x-rumors | Blog | Is Samsung going to announce a Medium Format mirrorless system within 2011?

It would be interesting with 36*36 mm and very simple functionality.

Maybe Schneider will be lens manufacturer?
05-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's MF camera prototype. It's confirmed info.
x-rumors | Blog | Is Samsung going to announce a Medium Format mirrorless system within 2011?

It would be interesting with 36*36 mm and very simple functionality.

Maybe Schneider will be lens manufacturer?
o wow that would be a direct competitor to 645D. With big pixels it would give 36 megapixel or even more with smaller pixels. CMOS? So even with video and liveview?
05-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #27
ogl
Pentaxian

x-rumors | Blog | Is Samsung develpoing a new 36mm square sensor for the new medium format system?
My very good Samsung sources just unveiled a TERRIFIC news! It’s probably the rumor of the year and if it turns out to be true than Nikon and Canon should be worried! Since decades the pro market is in strong hand of the two giants. This could change soon thanks to Samsung. The leaked medium format camera will be announced for real! And I can already share the specs to you:

1) The camera uses a 36mm x 36mm square sensor!
2) Samsung developed three different sensors. One 18 Megapixel sensor and two different 34 Megapixel sensors.
3) The lens you can see on the picture is a manual focusing 24mm lens.
4) It has a shorter lens-sensor distance than other medium format cameras (Editor’s note: Probably because it’s mirrorless)
5) On the road… AF lenses, EVF and optional accessories like grip, flash and screen.
6) The development is under phase two (That means Protocol, Viability and Marketing). Phase three is when the final decision will be taken.

As you can see Samsung is pretty busy in developing a new system for pro Photographers. Square sensors have been pretty popular with medium format cameras like Hasselblad. A second source told us the Samsung MF camera will be cheaper than the which is priced at $9900 and at the same level of the high end fullframe cameras from Canon and Nikon ($6.000-$8000).
06-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #28
Pentaxian

LOL. Funny.
They sucked at DSLRs.
They do not have a significant MILC marketshare.
And they persue digital MF?
What a bunch of idiots.

Imo, this is BS.
06-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
LOL. Funny.
They sucked at DSLRs.
They do not have a significant MILC marketshare.
And they persue digital MF?
What a bunch of idiots.

Imo, this is BS.
well I don't know about that. They are not going good in Europe on marketshare, but then again the world is bigger then Europe and US. They are big in TV screens, and some consumer electronics and that took them 20 years to get an A-rated Brand.

Well the missing in dslr is a pitty, not only for Samsung but also for Pentax. They have a long strategy in mind I think and wil be top off the market in some days.
06-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Samsung is a giant in a lot of markets, but in Photography they're (AFAIK) near nowhere but P&S.
They act like Sony does in most markets, chicken running everywhere.
It doesn't mean they will fail as a company. but they may indeed fail in the said markets.

I'd never put money (lots in this case) in a Samsung MF (being mirrorless or or DSLR). Then they back off and you're stuck with your crap. No way.

I'd be happier with Nikon/Canon (presently) than Samsung (or Sony). I don't trust any of'em.
I know Canon screws customers but I know how they do it so I won't be surprised. Same with Nikon.

My photography is slowly changing, I might, a day, be tempted by Fullframe. I'd then look at Nikon and Canon even though I hate their DSLR interface. I won't look at Samsung or Sony.