Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No news from Pentax but..

Since Pentax didn't have the press conference that was announced I was happy to see the Nikon D300 news. It could very well be that Pentax will have something very close to it when they do get around to announcing their new offering. To see what the market thinks of the D300 I went to the canon 40D forum over at dpreview. To quote one of the 150 posters, "This has turned into a Nikon forum". A good 80% indicated they are ready to jump ship. The raves about the specs went on and on, many suggesting the D300 will kill the 40D unless Canon drops the price drastically.

The reason I bring this up is if the new Pentax comes even close to the D300 we will have an incredible Flag Ship camera. It will most likely have the same sensor and priced lower. If the feature set in anywhere close to the D300 it will be a real winner.

Regards,

Ken

08-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Pentax did have their big announcement, those two optios I guess benji will be shooting with those now

I dont believe so many will jump ship, its normally very expensive to do so, you do get buried in the system and lenses normally cost you more than the body.
08-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #3

Big news <yawn>

Well the big news is in... Optio Z10 and S10 announced
Pentax Imaging - Pentax Press Release

A bit of a let down, but there is still 9.5 hours EST before the 24th; still hope, today, for some info on a "new" DSLR?!?

Last edited by BeerCur; 08-23-2007 at 12:04 PM.
08-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #4

Why would Pentax announce a US-only, exclusive Walmart model(S10) during a German show? Something does not add up. Either Pentax marketing folk are completely nuts or something else is coming.

08-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Lets hope its the latter.
08-24-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tyler Quote
Lets hope its the latter.
Hope is the only thing we have at the moment... well except those two optios
08-24-2007, 12:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Since Pentax didn't have the press conference that was announced
Pentax had a meeting late yesterday with their dealers, and the press was also invited. I have not seen any reports from it yet, which may be a sign of that they didn't revealed any information about upcoming new products. (or that the information is still under embargo). The products are in the works, according to the interview with K D Torigoe and K Tatamiya from earlier this year, the products for the fall release was almost ready so they should be in beta-testing now with just some tweaking of the firmware. An announcement could happen any day now.

Jumping ship? To jump back when Pentax announces their products?
I have never understood this jumping on and off all the time. Sounds very expensive!

Take care
R

08-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Pentax had a meeting late yesterday with their dealers, and the press was also invited. I have not seen any reports from it yet, which may be a sign of that they didn't revealed any information about upcoming new products. (or that the information is still under embargo).
I expect we'll see some leaks soon enough?

The products are in the works, according to the interview with K D Torigoe and K Tatamiya from earlier this year, the products for the fall release was almost ready so they should be in beta-testing now with just some tweaking of the firmware. An announcement could happen any day now.
That would be good too...

Jumping ship? To jump back when Pentax announces their products?
I have never understood this jumping on and off all the time. Sounds very expensive!
Some people have too much money... Besides that, I could not imagine having to get used to different systems and ergonomics over and over again. An "outdated" system I'm used to will get me much better images than a "new" system that I am learning still occasionally pressing the wrong button because there was another button there on my previous cam... oops... gone picture...

Wim
08-24-2007, 06:00 AM   #9

Forget the 645D

Looks like the 645D is on a slow death march.

Pentax: 645 Digital ‘no longer priority’
08-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If memory serves me right Pentax has already stated that they'll put 645D on a side run when they signed with Hoya. That don't mean they gave up on it.
08-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

do you guys think that the Nikon and Connion took Pentax ect... by sperise and they had some thing BUT it got out dun befor it was anounced and they are stuck?
08-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Whatever the quality of these camera's, Nikon is generally insulting the europeans by charging a premium for these new camera's in europe. Do they think us being stupid?

D3, US price: $4999, Europe: € 5180 = $6940, = +39%!
D300, US price: $1799, Europe: € 1980 = $2633 = +47%!!

You can buy a roundtrip ticket Europe / New York easily (and you have to get trough all the US customs shit) for less than the difference.

What does Nikon marketing think it is doing!??

Let's hope Pentax works more reasonably...

- Bert
08-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nathancombs Quote
do you guys think that the Nikon and Connion took Pentax ect... by sperise and they had some thing BUT it got out dun befor it was anounced and they are stuck?
Nope. The new cameras are too ready for getting back to drawing board. Only changes in firmware is possible at this stage. I do expect news about those new products anytime soon. It could be good waiting a few days so the 'net calms down and there is room talking about Pentax again and not only Canon and Nikon.
Perhaps they wait until after Olympus and Sony has released their news.
Olympus has news about a new pro-model, Sony has news about new products in the Alpha-range.

Take care
R
08-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #14

I must admit the level of potential industrial espionage must be intense between these companies.

We see a lot of cars (GM and Ford) doing testing, with their latest offereing all covered in tape and cloth and phoney panels to hide the true shape of the new models.

I suspect September will see the new Pentax cameras come out, just long enough before Xmas to get a better share of the shopping rush.
09-02-2007, 01:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Almost

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Pentax did have their big announcement, those two optios I guess benji will be shooting with those now

I dont believe so many will jump ship, its normally very expensive to do so, you do get buried in the system and lenses normally cost you more than the body.
I'll be using my 1 megapixel phone camera until the new replacement of the K10D comes out....