Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We do not know that the new cameras are built better than the K10D. Look at the fancy Canon that has severe focusing issues. People have had to return them and now there is a firmware update.
Personally I don't care about 12MP vs 10. You will have one hell of a time telling the pics apart! I went thru the MP races with 6MP DS, 8MP Olympus E300, and 10MP K10D. Would take a very large enlargement to tell much difference in a 2MP jump. In class I have 8.5x11 shots of same subject at 1.5,4, and 6MP. most students miss identifying 1 shot of the three at least. Approx. 4 out of 30 have been able to get all three correct. All shot with DS, on tripod, same lens, etc.
8fps is useless to me. If you can't get a shot with three, 8 probably won't do it. Don't need a sub machine gun to go hunting - if you are any good. Marketing driven companies love "specs" that prove their item is better. Why a $400 Receiver measures as well as a $10,000 Krell or Pass hifi amplifier, Want to bet they don't sound the same?
I would like a 100% viewfinder.Take more pictures.
thanks
barondla

08-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
There are an ABUNDANCE of differences between the D300 and the k10d though, and thats why i might jump ship. I'm not buying a D200. 12 MP, Metal body, 8 fps shooting, HD screen, 100% viewfinder, faster glass, oh lord the list goes on. The D300 kills the K10D. I will only stick with pentax if they release something similar by the end of the year. I mean...ill still keep my pentax stuff but id be switching my main setup to a nikon.
If you can afford the $1800 for the body, $115 for the Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens, plus the $744 for a Sigma 14mm f/2.8 Aspherical, and the $195 for a Tamron 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 to replace all your present Pentax collection then go ahead.

But I for 1 have better things to spend my over $2800 on, which will give me a bigger edge in the photographic world than you.

Here's 1 way to look at it. That coin is enough for you to take a short trip just about any where on this planet

Take the right pic's during that trip and there are several people / places who would love to buy them.
Those people could really care less if your using your present K100D or anything else, as long as the image is good.
08-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #63
Inactive Account

The reason to switch is to GET New lens that actually hit the market. Pentax has no plans to put out a new 400, 500 or even 600 - and that is a problem....I love wildlife and am tried of searching for OLD Pentax glass that is over-priced b/c of the lack of any future BIG GLASS.
....Yes I know that Nikon new BIG Glass will costs BIG $$$$$; However that should put pressure on the OLD Nikon glass....at least Nikon has the funds, development plan to support NEW Bodies with New Glass; I do not think that Pentax will follow through.

I love the K10D; but I don't see a FUTURE; def sucks!!!
08-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #64
Veteran Member

That's a good excuse to scrap your Pentax gear rdrum76.

There's enough aftermarket lenses out there so why worry about getting Pentax's glass.

I know that you don't post much here, but if you take a good look in the Post Your Photo's section you'll see that several of us get more wildlife photo's than you can shake a stick at.

Most of us don't have BIG dollars BIG lenses for it, we just go out there and take the pic's

I posted this a few weeks back.
This image shows what I was physically able to see on the shore

just the little brown spot close to the middle. I was taken with a 50mm prime.
Nothing top get excited about, or is it...

I only used a 400mm for this one. No cropping or anything involved.

Here's the cropped image

Wildlife photography is what I do best, and I don't think that I've ever seen anyone able to get a good shot with a longer lens than what I have.

I really doubt that I could do any better with the best Nikon lenses either.

08-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I have to admit I am a little disappointed in in flight shot abilities with available glass, but wildlife portraiture is not a problem for me. These are K10D w/Bigma shots...

-and- (hand held at 500mm by the way, thanks SR!)

but once in a while I get a good in-flight shot too...

The K10D is not a bad camera at all...just wish I would get mine back quickly it's in the hospital!
08-26-2007, 05:55 PM   #66
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
We do not know that the new cameras are built better than the K10D. Look at the fancy Canon that has severe focusing issues. People have had to return them and now there is a firmware update.
Personally I don't care about 12MP vs 10. You will have one hell of a time telling the pics apart! I went thru the MP races with 6MP DS, 8MP Olympus E300, and 10MP K10D. Would take a very large enlargement to tell much difference in a 2MP jump. In class I have 8.5x11 shots of same subject at 1.5,4, and 6MP. most students miss identifying 1 shot of the three at least. Approx. 4 out of 30 have been able to get all three correct. All shot with DS, on tripod, same lens, etc.
8fps is useless to me. If you can't get a shot with three, 8 probably won't do it. Don't need a sub machine gun to go hunting - if you are any good. Marketing driven companies love "specs" that prove their item is better. Why a $400 Receiver measures as well as a $10,000 Krell or Pass hifi amplifier, Want to bet they don't sound the same?
I would like a 100% viewfinder.Take more pictures.
thanks
barondla

Youre right. You never know. They could have problems, but thats a chance Im willing to take.

But another reason I want to jump ship is the fact that I do A LOT of indoor shooting in very low light conditions, and being able to go up to 1600 and 3200 ISO without absolutely ruining the image would be very useful to me. And also, Ive heard that a Nikon body with an IS lens is a little better than the K10D's shake reduction. Maybe just by a half stop, but every little bit helps when it comes to concert photography.

At this point in time, I'm VERY willing to stay with Pentax. I just want them to release something to compete with the rest. 2000 could buy me some very nice DA*'s!
08-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #67
Veteran Member

There are an ABUNDANCE of differences between the D300 and the k10d though, and thats why i might jump ship. I'm not buying a D200. 12 MP, Metal body, 8 fps shooting, HD screen, 100% viewfinder, faster glass, oh lord the list goes on. The D300 kills the K10D. I will only stick with pentax if they release something similar by the end of the year. I mean...ill still keep my pentax stuff but id be switching my main setup to a nikon.
If you expect Pentax to come up with D300 clones or Canon/Nikon clones after each of their new releases, you will be disappointed. If you really like D300, by all means, buy one.

You prefer the 8fps and HD screen; I prefer my limited lens and availability of image stabilization for all my short primes. And no, D300 does not interest me one bit. A nice piece of electronics, just does not work for me.
08-26-2007, 06:32 PM   #68
Veteran Member

???

"Wildlife photography is what I do best, and I don't think that I've ever seen anyone able to get a good shot with a longer lens than what I have."

I'm confused. Are you saying you have never seen a half-decent quality wildlife shot taken with a longer-than-400 mm lens?

08-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #69
Inactive Account

I just got back from the Rocky Mountains and shot this with a K10D & Sig 135-400mm

http://web.mac.com/richiedrum/

I feel lost because I have to rely on a 3rd Party lens to shoot wildlife. Thank God [SIGMA] for BIGMA!!

The K10D is the beans; just need LENSES! Pentax probably won't put out any BIG lenses in the future; especially since SIGMA is willing to fill the gaps.

Maybe if the Pentax K1?? Body hits it big, then PEntax will support its bodies with their own Big Lenses?????

We shall see over the next year.....works for me b/c my next big trip is next August in Alaska... it is safer to have a big lens to shoot big bears!
08-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #70
Veteran Member

There are an ABUNDANCE of differences between the D300 and the k10d though (snip) 12 MP, Metal body, 8 fps shooting, HD screen, 100% viewfinder, faster glass, oh lord the list goes on. The D300 kills the K10D. (snip)

Wow! Look at all that stuff. Enough to wet almost any appetite. Of course, at $1,800, the D300 costs at least double the cost of the K10D. But, since price isn't an issue, why stop there? Look at all the stuff in the even more expensive cameras. Cameras that could just as easily "kill" the D300. Lets face it. If stuff is your goal, you're never going to be truly satisfied with the D300. Instead, you should spend even more money on a camera with even more stuff.

stewart
08-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #71

This one, taken with 50-200 consumer lens fetched me first prize in my State Government World Photography Day competition amd earned me my first cashprize of nearly 250$
08-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
"Wildlife photography is what I do best, and I don't think that I've ever seen anyone able to get a good shot with a longer lens than what I have."

I'm confused. Are you saying you have never seen a half-decent quality wildlife shot taken with a longer-than-400 mm lens?
I've got a 500mm lens as well Tom, although I rarely use it That along with the 2x teleconverter that came with it.

I rarely use it because the image quality does suffer between these 2 lenses.

You have to have pretty good eyesight to see further away than that in it's natural environment. In my opinion making any decent wildlife photograph taken with a longer lens a fluke.

Not to mention that any heat waves or movement is magnified in the longer lenses, making the image quality worst.

Talk to most good wildlife photographer and they'll tell you that you have to get close to the animal for the best photographs.
08-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skamaraju Quote
This one, taken with 50-200 consumer lens fetched me first prize in my State Government World Photography Day competition amd earned me my first cashprize of nearly 250$
What can I say skamaraju other than that picture is beautiful.

I'm impressed. You deserve the win with it.
08-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #74

Thank you for your comment.
08-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #75

Now I'm lost too. I see A LOT of beautiful photo's out there and in this thread with 3rd party lenses. Is there a problem? Is it just Pentax that some of you need to have printed on the lens to give you more confidence about the photo you are taking? I am yet to meet a photographer, pro or other wise, Pentax, Nikon, Canon user that doesn't have at least one 3rd party lense in their arsenal.

I just don't get it. When you take beautiful photo's like that with a BIGMA, what more do you want?

I'm trying to be complimentary here to some wonderful photographers on this site... and I am hearing a lot of grumbling over the brand name on the lens. Am I missing something, or is that the only problem? If 3rd party lenses can compliment your kit and give you all the reach you want, wide and close, then what's the beef all about?