Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2007, 05:52 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
Youre right. You never know. They could have problems, but thats a chance Im willing to take.

But another reason I want to jump ship is the fact that I do A LOT of indoor shooting in very low light conditions, and being able to go up to 1600 and 3200 ISO without absolutely ruining the image would be very useful to me. And also, Ive heard that a Nikon body with an IS lens is a little better than the K10D's shake reduction. Maybe just by a half stop, but every little bit helps when it comes to concert photography.

At this point in time, I'm VERY willing to stay with Pentax. I just want them to release something to compete with the rest. 2000 could buy me some very nice DA*'s!
I say you should jump ship

1) Helps our economy (D300 body + Good Low Light Lens with VR is significantly more than $2000)
2) Better low light focusing
3) Sell your current gear on here to help out fellow Pentaxians
4) Better light metering
5) Superior Flash system
6) Won't talk about how Pentax has failed you when the next generation still doesn't meet your concert photography needs.

But of course there are other options...
- Learn to shoot primes for better performance than the nikon zooms (One of Pentax's strong points anyways)
- Use your K100D instead of your K10D (if you haven't sold it yet) since it has better low noise performance (and 3200iso is available)
- Learn to become a master of flash photography

08-28-2007, 01:59 AM   #92

af ability, not only the speed, i cannot bear of totally losing focus in a ball
just because i focus on girls' silky skins
08-28-2007, 04:44 AM   #93
Banned

Original Poster
Okay. I have decided to stay with Pentax.

I heard ALLL about the new camera today,
and lets just say I would rather kill myself
than buy a Nikon.

I tested out the D200 yesterday and nearly
all of Nikons lenses. The D200 was great and
all, but let me tell you something.

NIKONS LENS BUILD QUALITY IS CRAP!!

I'd never be able to use those peices of crap.

Pentax glass for me please.
08-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #94

Where did you hear about the specs? What can you tell us other than what YOURE doing? any other information? How long will we have to wait.

Inquiring minds want to know

08-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #95
Banned

Original Poster
I can only say a few limited things about it.

More than 12 MP. 5 fps shooting. Metal Body.

Enough said.

I dont think the price is 100%$ established yet but it should be somewhere in that 1500-1800 range.
08-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You do have a pair of brass ones

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
I can only say a few limited things about it.

More than 12 MP. 5 fps shooting. Metal Body.

Enough said.

I dont think the price is 100%$ established yet but it should be somewhere in that 1500-1800 range.
So you start a thread about jumping ship and then you flip 180 degrees. God I love the BS we see on the internet!!!!

When is this thing going to be released or did you take an oath in blood with a double dare cross your heart and promise to see how far you can stretch this thing without telling anybody.

Will it be here before you jump in Nov,?

Ken
08-28-2007, 03:56 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
So you start a thread about jumping ship and then you flip 180 degrees. God I love the BS we see on the internet!!!!

When is this thing going to be released or did you take an oath in blood with a double dare cross your heart and promise to see how far you can stretch this thing without telling anybody.

Will it be here before you jump in Nov,?

Ken
08-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Classic. I'm fascinated that a bump of 2MP (hardly noticeable even in huge prints), 5fps & a metal body (the K10D is already very well built) is worth the apparent $1000 price increase. Wow.

I'll take your K100D please.

08-28-2007, 04:11 PM   #99
Veteran Member

What about

Hey guys aren't you all forgetting about the 645D? the digital medium format camera? wasn't that suposed to be out ages ago and what about that third DA* lens 70-300 f/4 or close

i think pentax will have a new camera out soon, they seem to be steping up alot, i've had my *ist DL for over a year and the amount of new lenses in that time is crazy and not to mention all the new cameras so yeah i think we will see a new camera soon!

I just hope to god that I can afford it as im thinking of upgrading soonish currently upping my glass.

anyone who wants to help me can buy some framed prints or even just a greetings card via RedBubble :: Art
08-29-2007, 12:58 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Classic. I'm fascinated that a bump of 2MP (hardly noticeable even in huge prints), 5fps & a metal body (the K10D is already very well built) is worth the apparent $1000 price increase. Wow.

I'll take your K100D please.
He said more than 12MP. Let's say at least 13. But might be 20MP huh.
You can't conclude anything else than "it won't be a dumb K10D+".
And you complain?
08-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #101
Veteran Member

There is no "magic bullet"

This is a bit dated, but perfect for this thread:

The Online Photographer: The Magic Bullet
08-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #102
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Switters, Great read and should be re read by some. But some aren't listening......
08-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If concert photography is your goal a good 6mp Pentax (I use the DS) will clobber any 10-12mp camera I've seen. Full frame might make up the difference. It would be very close. PTN just did a review of New Olympus dslr and they said the 6mp Pentax was one of the best lowlight cameras there is. It goes to ISO3200.
thanks
barondla
08-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #104
and
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ive seen this one linked before so I decided to read thought it this time.

Well well this issue is interesting isnt it. But to me there seems to be two different camps here. And these different camps consit of people who pursue different things, who have different goals and different criteria on what makes a good picture.

Its the "Nikon D3 is better than Nikon D2 is better than Nikon D1 but when is Nikon D4 coming out" crowd or "gadget freaks". And then there is the "Ansel Adams would have been able to take a better picture with a 0.3 megapixel mobile phone camera with no manual controls available than any of us here on the forum will be able to take with a Canon 1Ds mkIII".

Of course, pushed to the extremes, neither of them are correct but how can their perceptions be so different. Seems to me if the ansel adams crowd is to be given the win then you have to say that how good a photo is can only be judged by its composition, timing and content/message. If this is the case then the image quality doesnt matter at all and thus if its a low quality mobile phone camera or a high end dSLR doesnt really make a difference.

The other crowd is pursuing image quality and camera performance. fps, focusing speed, buffer size and noise level, resolution etc. To pursue pictures that are technically perfect and convenience in shooting (ie: having super fast and accurate af tracking instead of using mf and prefocus and time the shot, you can end up with the same shot but it will be a hell of a lot easier and u dont have to be an expert in timing and focusing to be able to do it).

Seems to me its just a pursuit of two different goals. So I dont really see why one camp has to complain about the other. Unless there is whining going on. Whining can come from anyone, but at least on this forum there is more whining from the ansel group than from the better equipment group. And when whining occurs, then the equipment guys whine about the camera makers, whereas the ansel group whines about the equipment guys.

I find myself agreeing a bit with both groups Im a gadget freak myself and I also like to read speculation and rumor threads, I will never pass up on one of those and I am very curious about what camera Pentax will release next. I think I wouldnt be so interested if I was a Canon user since they are more predictable and already have a complete line of cameras with sensors raning from aps-c through aps-h to FF and can be expected mostly to release updates of their existing models. Whereas Pentax does not have a higher level model and its very very interesting to see what direction they will go in if they choose to make one.

What can be annoying though, I understand, is to see people nagging and whining about differences they wont ever notice and features they will never use. "Nikon D3 sucks ass, Canon 1D mkIII has 10fps with AF, D3 only 9!! haha! ownage! (I can never afford either cameras myself and if I did then I have only used continous shooting twice in the 1.5 years I have owned my current camera and that 1 extra picture per second of my son sitting still in the sofa is just going to end up in the windows recycle bin anyway)"

I also sometimes get annoyed by seeing people post poorly taken photos, in some rare occasions, mind you. I normally dont mind and I am far from an expert myself. But I get annoyed if the person posting the picture is, or is pretending to be, a pro or if they used some very rare and expensive lenses to take it. I dont mind if someone gets a DA* and takes poor photos, but if someone snags up some FA* glass then I shed a tear for the lens since I know it must be unhappy and craving to be in the hands of someone who can actually use it in a way will make pictures u can tell was taken with a good lens and not with a p&s camera. (I note that these annoyances can sometimes also be facinating, how was someone able to use the same pentax camera, the same lens, and take pictures that I swear I would not think twice about if I saw posted as samples from a 3.2mpix mobile phone camera. I think the camera must be used in all-manual mode to be able to screw up so badly.)

what a long post, okok Ill stop

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
This is a bit dated, but perfect for this thread:

The Online Photographer: The Magic Bullet
08-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #105
Banned

Original Poster
Dont get me wrong. I love my K100D. Its just the fact that i cant print any larger than 11x14 without going below 300dpi. That fact really dicourages me from using the camera a lot. Also im not able to use my wirless flash with it.

I'm very excited to get the new camera. Im going to be able to print just about as big as i want. DDD

I'm also getting ready to open up my studio. All my profoto stuff comes in sometime this week. Haha. Its funny because i couldve finished paying off my college debt but i opted for a lighting kit, Medium Format Printer, a professionally designed logo, and a laser cut sign to put in the front yard.