Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
3. Im only building the suspense. You'll see what the new camera is like when its publically announced.
What, are you some kind of an idiot? If you really know what it is, then stop the crap & tell us. Enough with being ridiculous already.

08-31-2007, 11:17 PM   #122

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
He's 19, so it isn't as though he were paying off four years worth.

(Trying to figure out if Berea KY is a suburb of Chicago....)
Even paying 1 years worth is a pain, 8 months for me cost an absurd $15,000! Of course this was back when SGI Computers were the in thing, 512mb of RAM was a huge amount and RISC processors were to be the next big thing... my how the industry changed.
08-31-2007, 11:58 PM   #123
PDL
Pentaxian

Kingsofronin is 19?
He is paying off his college loans (after graduating at 15 from high school?)
He is selling off his Pentax equipment and buying all New Nikon stuff?

I think daddy might have something to say about this. Most likely still at home - It took me 6 years to pay off my college loans - for a two year program that I did not complete in three years (graduate school).

PDL
09-01-2007, 02:30 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Kingsofronin is 19?
He is paying off his college loans (after graduating at 15 from high school?)
He is selling off his Pentax equipment and buying all New Nikon stuff?
I wonder how many concerts a fellow would have to shoot at thirty bucks per concert to recoup the cost of the switch?

QuoteQuote:
I think daddy might have something to say about this. Most likely still at home - It took me 6 years to pay off my college loans - for a two year program that I did not complete in three years (graduate school).

PDL
I'm still paying the price for playing hooky on Career Day.

09-01-2007, 03:17 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Geeez What the heck to we care about X is 19 years or whatever.

Do you judge everybody solely on their age? Heck !
09-01-2007, 05:00 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Geeez What the heck to we care about X is 19 years or whatever.

Do you judge everybody solely on their age? Heck !
Do you frequently chip your teeth when your knee jerks up and strikes you forcibly in the chin?

The only reason I mentioned it was to point out that the college debt he elected not to pay likely wasn't as large as some may have thought it.
09-01-2007, 06:42 AM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
Dont get me wrong. I love my K100D. Its just the fact that i cant print any larger than 11x14 without going below 300dpi. That fact really dicourages me from using the camera a lot. Also im not able to use my wirless flash with it.

I'm very excited to get the new camera. Im going to be able to print just about as big as i want. DDD

I'm also getting ready to open up my studio. All my profoto stuff comes in sometime this week. Haha. Its funny because i couldve finished paying off my college debt but i opted for a lighting kit, Medium Format Printer, a professionally designed logo, and a laser cut sign to put in the front yard.

Umm, I hate to break it to you but printing at 300dpi doesn't even matter because printers don't ever really go that high anyway, especially professional roll fed printers that do large prints like 18x24 or larger. I bring in my 300dpi pictures and to get large prints they tend to be around 140dpi after enlarging them and I hate to break it to you but you'll be impressed by the fact you cant tell a difference from 300 from 140 unless you bust out the 20x loupe. Get your head out of the 300dpi world like a lot of people do because it doesn't matter. Heck there are 72 dpi prints that you couldn't tell from a 300 dpi as long as its around 8x10 size.

The pro studio stuff is cool, but it's not easy and you make it sounds like you'll be making a lot of money right off the bat with it. Don't get too excited because lighting is hard no matter how good you may think you are.

Good luck with the studio and try taking a class in large format printing like I have and maybe you'll understand a little more about the industry and how dpi doesn't always matter.

Oh, and I hope you took the time to purchase pocket wizards or another form of radio trigger because you're going to have a hard time syncing that K100D with the studio lights via a PC cable or household without purchasing a ton of hot shoe adapters and cables.

If you're ever in Rockford stop by the camera store I work at if you're ever in need of quality Pentax glass or equipment. Heck we outsell B&H on a lot of things not too mention no store in the midwest carries as much equipment as we do. Camera Craft 1643 Alpine road; heck we still have DA* lenses and the new Canon 40D is in stock in case you still need to jump ship.

09-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #128
Banned

Original Poster
lol. i moved back to berea kentucky a month ago and i havent changed it on my profile yet. haha. thanks. its still an 1800 dollar debt. haha. im working on it though. atleast it will establish some credit for me. I need all the credit I can get.
09-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #129
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Umm, I hate to break it to you but printing at 300dpi doesn't even matter because printers don't ever really go that high anyway, especially professional roll fed printers that do large prints like 18x24 or larger. I bring in my 300dpi pictures and to get large prints they tend to be around 140dpi after enlarging them and I hate to break it to you but you'll be impressed by the fact you cant tell a difference from 300 from 140 unless you bust out the 20x loupe. Get your head out of the 300dpi world like a lot of people do because it doesn't matter. Heck there are 72 dpi prints that you couldn't tell from a 300 dpi as long as its around 8x10 size.

The pro studio stuff is cool, but it's not easy and you make it sounds like you'll be making a lot of money right off the bat with it. Don't get too excited because lighting is hard no matter how good you may think you are.

Good luck with the studio and try taking a class in large format printing like I have and maybe you'll understand a little more about the industry and how dpi doesn't always matter.

Oh, and I hope you took the time to purchase pocket wizards or another form of radio trigger because you're going to have a hard time syncing that K100D with the studio lights via a PC cable or household without purchasing a ton of hot shoe adapters and cables.

If you're ever in Rockford stop by the camera store I work at if you're ever in need of quality Pentax glass or equipment. Heck we outsell B&H on a lot of things not too mention no store in the midwest carries as much equipment as we do. Camera Craft 1643 Alpine road; heck we still have DA* lenses and the new Canon 40D is in stock in case you still need to jump ship.

I really do need to read up on printing. I know close to nothing about it, and i plan on opening up the studio sometime in first quarter 2008. My K100D is fine, I use it for concerts. My K10D is what Ive been using for portraits lately, but I'll be switching to the K1D when it comes out. Lighting is one of my strong points so I think I should be okay with that.

I never meant to make the studio thing sound like a peice of cake. I know its tough. But I just moved back to kentucky and I think theres one Portrait Studio within 35 miles either way. More like 60-70 in one. So there really isnt a lot of competition and Im already starting to develop a local reputation. I dont plan on making it my 1st job until I start making the dough. It'll probably only be open 20 hours a week for the first year or so.
09-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I hope your store does international orders. I'd be very interested to purchase equipment at a good cost (something I can't do locally - no stocks, few brands carried, high mark-ups).
09-02-2007, 05:25 PM   #131
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah Chris - do you ship internationally, got an online store? PM if you don't want to discuss this here.
09-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #132

I am going out shooting again now with my K10D.

I'll let you guys talk about new cameras...