Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Banned

If Pentax doesn't release their new Digislr by November...

Im jumping ship to Nikon. The D300 looks too good. If Pentax doesnt come up with something to challenge it, I'm jumping ship.

08-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #2

Yikes! Curious, what is the biggest draw for you? What does your K10D lack that the Nikon offers?
08-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #3

I'm with stupid. (If I can afford to do so) razor sharp 3" screen, live view, CMOS, 100% finder? Pentax need to get a move on or it's going to be left behind by the new Nikon D300 and C*non 40D.
08-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about him, but those are some dang serious specs on that D300! That said, though, Nikon STILL doesn't have fast primes and other glass that is as good as some of Pentax lenses! (Think ALL the Limiteds!) And let's face it, at least half the equation in good photography is the glass. If Pentax addresses some of its auto focus issues and makes some minor tweaks to the camera I think even the current K10D is a decent challenger to the D300 on a level playing field. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary!
Rob W

08-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #5

Thanks for chiming in Hyena and macdaddy. I know full well the specs of the D300. I have been in the market for several months and the D200 was top of my list for longer than any other camera. The upcoming news of the D300 (been speculated for a while!) made me pause... and then, as you stated macdaddy, I had the hardest time finding glass that I would be happy with. Anti-shake is very important to me, I shoot mostly hand held in low light, so fast lenses are important. Nikon just couldn't do it for me in the price that I was willing to pay... and there would have been other compromises as well.

I'm not brand loyal... I'm photo quality loyal... as much as my wallet will stretch its leash.
08-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy Quote
other glass that is as good as some of Pentax lenses! (Think ALL the Limiteds!) Rob W
Pentax lenses are legendary
08-23-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There's always going to be a better camera, a better lens, a better software program. The key question for me is "will this tool help me to better express my creative vision?" I bought the K10D because it satisfied pretty much all of my needs at a very reasonable price, and it would give me access to Pentax's incredible prime lenses (which are also very reasonably priced, not to mention lightweight and compact).

Sure, the D300 looks like a great camera. But is it worth the $1000 price difference for the body alone? Is it worth trading in my fantastic Pentax primes only to pay 2-3x the amount for the equivalent Nikon offerings that aren't as high quality in many cases? No way. Not even a consideration.

As someone above said, "your mileage may vary"... but for me, the K10D isn't holding me back in the slightest. I could keep this camera and lenses for years and never fully expolore its creative potential. And actually, that's exactly what I intend to do regardless of what new releases come about.

Unless, of course, they release a full-frame DSLR with high ISO and low-noise capability. Just kidding.

08-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #8

Even if a new DSLR comes out by September... where's the lens support?! Stop announcing bodies and start producing more lenses! I just got rid of my K100D and was presented with the choice of a replacement to a K10D, a Canon 400D or waiting a few weeks for the 40D... 40D was the winner, at $1399 CDN for the body it's a friggin steal for the work I do! D300 looks very impressive as well and hey, Nikon actually has an abundance of lenses
08-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
Im jumping ship to Nikon. The D300 looks too good. If Pentax doesnt come up with something to challenge it, I'm jumping ship.

Someone else here said there is always going to be a better camera, a better lens, a better software program. I agree entirely. Right now it's the D300. In a few months it will be something else. If we're going to jump ship everytime something new comes along, we best be prepared to spend a lot of money.

For various reasons (price, performance, features, etc), I made a decision to buy the K10D and I'm not at all unhappy with that choice. As such, I intend to stick with that decision until this camera no longer serves my needs. Only then will I consider changing to something else. Of course, by then, the D300 will probably have come and gone, replaced by still another camera.

Of course, the winds don't always blow the same direction for all, so you're certainly free to jump ship. However, do leave the ship tidy after you go since others of us intend to sail this fine ship a while longer.

stewart
08-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

The 4 reasons that I would be tempted is if the new Pentax doesn't have:

1. Better High ISO performance
2. That nice big LCD screen
3. Wider range of zooms and off brand lenses
4. Live View
5. Nikon's Spot On flash performance. My K10D can't expose a picture with it's own flash properly half the time, and it sounds like stand alone flashes are even worse.

Of course time will tell and we're all just grumpy because we have to wait. As soon as it comes out we'll probably all complain about what's missing on it anyway! God bless forums, where grown men get to whine like kids instead of going out and taking pictures!
08-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If one of you "ship jumpers" has a 70-200 f2.8 that you wont be needing please let me know....
08-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't know about you guys, I just bought a K100D as a backup of my K10D. Both cameras are more than enough to a newbie amateur like me, and I don't think I've used even 1/3 of all the features provided by these two cameras ...

There is always something better come along, better stick to whatever meets your needs
08-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What I see:
Increase in megapixel rating without corresponding increase in sensor size.
This means reduced noise performance at high ISOs. Yeah they claim 3200 (with extension to 6400), but is it usable? Probably not. I see nothing in the D300 specs that are worth double the price of the K10D except for niche markets.

I like the fact that I own my images and control the method to access them. Nikon, on the other hand, pulls shenanigans so that if they want to they can abuse DMCA loopholes to sue anyone who makes a third-party RAW converter for their cameras. They haven't yet, but there is NO other justification for encrypting the whitebalance information in NEF files.
08-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm with Mr. Hyde....please deposit your lenses at the door on the way out! I'll be glad to collect them for you!
08-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, for me, it wouldn't be a switch. My K10D works just fine for most photography. Its just birds and sports where it pisses me off. If I do get a 40D or D300, it will probably only so I can use a long tele with it, like the Canon 400 f2.8 L IS. It seems like a damn waste to get a whole other body just to cover birds and sports, but I really enjoy shooting both. Pentax doesn't have a solution to cover that particular range. The K10D, my trusty DS, and my lens collection will remain as my "everything else" kit.