Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #16
wll
Veteran Member

The new Nikon Looks VERY good ....We must wait for Pentax to announce within the next few weeks or earlier.

wll

08-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
I am with MrHyde and Paulandapentax..........I'll relieve you of your long glass since you would just sink with it anyway. Especially if the nickname is "Bigma".
08-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The latest rumor is that a 50MP 645D might be annnounced on the 31st, at least that's what they're saying ove at fredmiranda.com

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/564762

Even if this were true, which I don't think it is, the price for such a camera would probably make a Hasselblad look like a bargain. I'd much prefer a DSLR than a rareified MF-Digital...
08-23-2007, 08:57 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Nikon will shoot fast, but will it have the image quality? Going that fast means more chip output channels. 12 channels. This caused serious problems for the D200 - remember all the banding Could be even worse this time with 12 channels. Nikon isn't much into primes anymore and I would hate to give up my Limiteds. About 6 months later Pentax will have something to match the D300. I am sure live view will find its way to a Pentax body. 3" screen is nice if the body isn't too huge (don't want it bigger than k10D with grip). 100% viewfinder would be very, very nice. I will wait for the K10D replacement at PMA 2008. More time to buy new lenses. Nikon will still cost tons more to shoot than Pentax because of missing SR. Won't buy another dslr without SR. Don't care what the feature is.
thanks
barondla

08-23-2007, 09:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If Pentax doesn't release their new Digislr by November...

...the sun will still come up.
...life will go on.
...I really wont care.
...I will continue to amuse myself with my very capable K10D.
and so on and so on and so on........

If I needed the latest and the greatest to make a living then maybe I'd have diferent ideas but since I dont need one I dont care.
08-23-2007, 09:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
Im jumping ship to Nikon. The D300 looks too good. If Pentax doesnt come up with something to challenge it, I'm jumping ship.
The only reason why the D1, D200, D2, D300, D3 appeals to me is because of the aperture linkage. Its enables usage of aperture ring on old AI lenses in Aperture Priority mode. How good is that!

Pentax has been generous to not totally cripple their K Mount but it does get annoying sometimes when you gotta remember to hit the AE-L button every time you or the light in the scene moves.
08-24-2007, 12:38 AM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
I'm with Mr. Hyde....please deposit your lenses at the door on the way out! I'll be glad to collect them for you!
I think I'll join the que for those deposits...

Between me and my girlfriend we share 2 K100D bodies. Is there better camera on market?!? Certainly. Do we really need it?!? Certainly not!!!
What we have, is absolutely enough for what we do with it. I wouldn't even go for K10D (unless some crazy unreal offer would come up). For amateur landscapes photographer K100D offers all I need. So thanx for D300 or D3 offer, of 40D, but I will spend my money of lenses instead...

08-24-2007, 01:24 AM   #23

I am with you axl.
My K100d is enough for me now as I am not a pro and I find k100d adequate to express myself.
New and available lenses is what the pentax community needs.
Not a 2000 $ new body which only a few can afford.
08-24-2007, 01:32 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spec's spec's spec's

Stop agonizing about the latest zigapixel, multiexposure-mode teasmade function, and just take some photos.
08-24-2007, 01:34 AM   #25
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
The latest rumor is that a 50MP 645D might be annnounced on the 31st, at least that's what they're saying ove at fredmiranda.com

If the answer from Pentax to all these new cameras is to "proudly announce the 645D !!! ETA sometime next year", then Im gonna laugh and cry at the same time.

"Mr company president, how are we to respond to all these new cameras?"
"hmm.... announce the 645D!"
"....but...Mr president...we already did that several times in the past few years... "
"shut up idiots! have you no creativity? just change the specs a bit, alter the number of megapixels and it will be a new product! then announce it again!"

As for the D300. I dont see the d300 as any reason to jump ship. The D300 is another APS-C camera which makes it completely possible for pentax to copy and even improve on it in a future camera.

Its more interesting to look at what it can do since its an indication of what to expect from future pentax cameras
08-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #26
Pentaxian

As someone with a istDs I have been holding off the K100D or K10D, looking to skip a generation, I'd love SR. But if the next offerings of Pentax are not to my liking then I will very very seriously look at the competition. Having gone from Minolta (sniff) to Nikon to Pentax, maybe it's about time I tried a Canon! (BTW I have a 70-200/2.8 plus the dedicated 1.4x and 2x so some of you should be crossing your fingers! )
08-24-2007, 04:11 AM   #27

Guess some people get squirrely over Nikon's offerings!

(Borrowed from photo.net and an appropriate commentary. The photo says it all, as far as I'm concerned!)
Rob W

Last edited by macdaddy; 09-02-2007 at 11:29 AM.
08-24-2007, 04:30 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Camera bodies are overrated

I use a DS. I intend to use it until it breaks. I don't sit at my computer and think 'oh god, the JPEGs are so bad'. I bought it second hand in the first place and if I can buy my next body second hand then I will. I only sold my old film Pentax because I'd shifted to digital for slr stuff. OK, I don't have the budget you guys have, but even if I did, I'd spend it on lenses not megapixels.

Buying a better body would not make me a better photographer. It might make me feel like a better person because I have the 'latest and greatest' and I can zoom in on my screen and go 'oooooh look at that resolution' but the problem with gaining gratification like this is that in another year or two, some other greater camera will come along, and if it isn't the same brand then you might feel you have to jump ship again. All this gets very expensive and soul destroying.

I sometimes consider changing system, but not because of camera bodies but because of lenses. The only thing that annoys me about Pentax is the lack of telephoto choice, both in third party and their own brand. People always respond with 'well you could buy a bigma', but I don't want a bigma!

My only advice, is pick a brand, stick with it and invest in lenses. Switching systems is expensive. The money you spend on a new body you could buy a selection of beautiful Pentax lenses, and learn how to use them on your K10 by which point Pentax will no doubt have a new DSLR coming along.

If you are a professional, no doubt you can't afford all these delays and might be better served by CaNikon (although I'm not a professional so I have no idea), but I think for most of us the limit is our photographic ability not megapixels.

Maybe if Nikon made some pancake limiteds I might be tempted, but that isn't going to happen, so Pentax for me.

Pentax only released the K10D a year or so ago, they are not about to come out with a new body instantly. Deal with this.

They are probably going to be very slow on getting lenses out too. I'm having trouble dealing with this. I don't even necessarily want to buy any new lenses now, I just want to know what is coming round the corner so I can start saving!
08-24-2007, 04:41 AM   #29

That D300 looks amazing. It really makes me wonder whether Pentax was planning to make THAT kind of leap with their semi-pro model.

One can only hope.

Guess that would be the equivilent to a K5D then?
08-24-2007, 05:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Well, for me, it wouldn't be a switch. My K10D works just fine for most photography. Its just birds and sports where it pisses me off. If I do get a 40D or D300, it will probably only so I can use a long tele with it, like the Canon 400 f2.8 L IS. It seems like a damn waste to get a whole other body just to cover birds and sports, but I really enjoy shooting both. Pentax doesn't have a solution to cover that particular range. The K10D, my trusty DS, and my lens collection will remain as my "everything else" kit.

I don't know why everyone seems to claim that the K10D (or othe Pentax DSLRs) is not suitable for sports... There is no reason this camera cannot perform well in the sports arena (no pun intended). Sure we don't have 500fps and 6GB buffers but the K10D specs are more than adequate for sports such as motorcycle or bicycle racing. I've shot both with my K110D and got respectable results.

I will be at Summit Point in WV shooting motorcycle racing this weekend with my new K10D and expect fine performance. How did the old-timers shoot every sport under the sun before motordrives and high frame rates came along? By knowing their sport and clicking the shutter at the right time. You can do the same with the K10D/K100D/K110D/*istDx.

Frankly the "spray and pray" approach to sports photography mystifies me. Anyone can point a high speed camera at a moving subject and get at least one acceptable shot out of 10 or 20. I'd frankly hate to have to wade through all of the trash shots to find the good one. No, I'll accept the limits of 3fps and plan my shots. More often than not I will have at least one good shot out of the 3-6 and often more.

So, learn to use your tool and don't limit yourself just because you don't have the fastest shooter on the planet. Afterall, as many on this forum keep saying it is the photographer, not the camera.