Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2007, 06:21 AM   #31
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I don't know why everyone seems to claim that the K10D (or othe Pentax DSLRs) is not suitable for sports... There is no reason this camera cannot perform well in the sports arena (no pun intended).
His main problem is not with the K10D or any other Pentax dSLR at all, but with the glass...

QuoteQuote:
If I do get a 40D or D300, it will probably only so I can use a long tele with it, like the Canon 400 f2.8 L IS. It seems like a damn waste to get a whole other body just to cover birds and sports, but I really enjoy shooting both. Pentax doesn't have a solution to cover that particular range.
... note the last part, which is absolutely true. If there is a current lens for Pentax that is f/2.8 at 400mm (Pentax or third party) then I'd like to know about it, because as far as I'm aware there is no such lens. There is only the old manual-focus 400/2.8... and good luck getting your hands on one of them. No amount of learning to use your equipment or planning will give you a longer brighter lens that doesn't exist

08-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I don't know why everyone seems to claim that the K10D (or othe Pentax DSLRs) is not suitable for sports... There is no reason this camera cannot perform well in the sports arena (no pun intended). Sure we don't have 500fps and 6GB buffers but the K10D specs are more than adequate for sports such as motorcycle or bicycle racing. I've shot both with my K110D and got respectable results.

I will be at Summit Point in WV shooting motorcycle racing this weekend with my new K10D and expect fine performance. How did the old-timers shoot every sport under the sun before motordrives and high frame rates came along? By knowing their sport and clicking the shutter at the right time. You can do the same with the K10D/K100D/K110D/*istDx.

Frankly the "spray and pray" approach to sports photography mystifies me. Anyone can point a high speed camera at a moving subject and get at least one acceptable shot out of 10 or 20. I'd frankly hate to have to wade through all of the trash shots to find the good one. No, I'll accept the limits of 3fps and plan my shots. More often than not I will have at least one good shot out of the 3-6 and often more.

So, learn to use your tool and don't limit yourself just because you don't have the fastest shooter on the planet. Afterall, as many on this forum keep saying it is the photographer, not the camera.
i agree i have had NO problems shooting sports OR low light with eather K100D, K10D, i shoot photoj and these cameras have worked. i do agree that Pentax NEEDS to put the FA* stuff back out
08-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #33
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kingsofronin Quote
Im jumping ship to Nikon. The D300 looks too good. If Pentaxdoesnt come up with something to challenge it, I'm jumping ship.
D300 news? missed that. I see now... includes dust removal! ...I knew it!!! Big reason I didn't buy the D200 and opted for the K10D ... I -knew- the next version soon to be released soon after I bought a D200 would have it and I'd be kicking myself!!!

After the some $5K+ I've spent on camera and lenses for Pentax the last two months tho...? I don't think I can afford to jump ship with the next step up. Plus since the '70s 'Pentax' has always seemed 'special' to me ... dunno. If I go on another "photogropher's vacation" I know I'll have to take two bodies. I'll wait to see what transpires before buying it. Hoya has to know they're on a roll. I can't imagine Hoya will squander that after the expense of the acquisition; quite the contrary is my belief. It may just take a 1/2 year to a year after Can-kon.
08-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

You guys have got to be the nicest forum in existence. We get a post from someone wanting to jump ship based on a camera no one has even physically held, nor has anyone seen a single production shot from.

Your responses were much kinder than mine would have been.

My thoughts are that if you want to buy into the F-mount (I do not, no matter the specs of the camera) then you should already be there and you are wasting your time with Pentax. The D200 is essentially the same camera (minus the VPN) as the K10D. There are some minor tweaks between the two but they are not even noticeable to most people. (Position of the rear scroll wheel, placement of the ISO button, mechanical aperture linkage for fully-manual bayonet lenses, etc.)

08-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
The only reason why the D1, D200, D2, D300, D3 appeals to me is because of the aperture linkage. Its enables usage of aperture ring on old AI lenses in Aperture Priority mode. How good is that!

Pentax has been generous to not totally cripple their K Mount but it does get annoying sometimes when you gotta remember to hit the AE-L button every time you or the light in the scene moves.
Not a big deal for me. I also have to remember to push the shutter too. If I wanted something completely automatic I would have gotten a P&S.

NaCl(but an automatic chocolate truffle dispenser would be nice)H2O
08-24-2007, 09:13 AM   #36
Inactive Account

is the squirrel humping or taking a piss on that Nikon? :s
08-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Please place your used lenses in the bag on the way out.....thank you

08-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
His main problem is not with the K10D or any other Pentax dSLR at all, but with the glass...

... note the last part, which is absolutely true. If there is a current lens for Pentax that is f/2.8 at 400mm (Pentax or third party) then I'd like to know about it, because as far as I'm aware there is no such lens. There is only the old manual-focus 400/2.8... and good luck getting your hands on one of them. No amount of learning to use your equipment or planning will give you a longer brighter lens that doesn't exist
Thats true Zaphod... Lack of readily available fast glass is a problem for certain subjects, but it is not insurmountable either. Would I like to have one of those 400mm f2.8 wonders? Sure, but until I hit the lottery or start making real money off of my motorsports photography I'll struggle along with my good old Vivitar 300mm f5.6.
08-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
Even if a new DSLR comes out by September... where's the lens support?! Stop announcing bodies and start producing more lenses! I just got rid of my K100D and was presented with the choice of a replacement to a K10D, a Canon 400D or waiting a few weeks for the 40D... 40D was the winner, at $1399 CDN for the body it's a friggin steal for the work I do! D300 looks very impressive as well and hey, Nikon actually has an abundance of lenses
Not only lens support, but I'm sure they'd have to get it out and on the shelves (not just available for ordering, but copies out there for people to touch and try and review) before November to get in on the holiday buying season...if it's delayed til say, January, that will likely be a big sales hit.
08-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #40
Veteran Member

If you jump brand every time a new body comes out from another brand, your going to get poor quick

Give it a little time, Pentax will respond as they did to the D200..

Last edited by joele; 08-24-2007 at 03:30 PM.
08-24-2007, 03:27 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Patience

I think those who decide to migrate will. Best wishes to them. However, some things are just worth waiting for especially considering the quality of Pentax glass. I know I am...
08-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #42

I've seen KingsofRonin's pictures. I dont think the latest Canon or Nikon is going to help.
08-24-2007, 05:56 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Just remember to send me your unwanted glass as you jump onto the USS Nikon. I'll make sure I dispose of it properly......
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Where are the new big lens????

There is not even a roadmap for any big glass.

Heck, the DA*s are dragging along to market....

I love the K10D...I love the backward compatibility...I hate searching like a freak for big glass....

Like so many posts here, the body is not the big issues. It is the developing of new glass and bringing it to market....it seems that Nikon has enough market share to put out new lens to stimulate and/or meet demand...

I wish Pentax would bring its roadmap to market and THEN roadmap for a couple of big primes or even zooms...

Pentax definitely has the right idea on numerous points...I just want to see some follow through....
08-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #45

From a marketing standpoint, people are already ordering the D300 and Canon 40D.....

I think that any delay only prevents new users from discovering Pentax. Assuming the new camera(s) are of comparable specs, one cannot understand why Pentax is not keeping up with the Big 2. There are thousands of pre-orders for Nikon and Canon's new offerings being made at B&H, RITZ and others.

If I was a camera company, I would want my stuff out there, to show how much better it is than anything else. Getting the Pentax faithful to dump their K10D bodies for the K??, or enticing us to purchase an extra body is a smaller market than bringing new users into the fold.

AND, the three new 2.8 lenses, if of similar quality to other Pentax lenses are quite a good range for the wedding and portrait photographer.

I would hope that an announcement would come very very soon and that an event similar to the one sponsored by Nikon in Tokyo earlier this week is an absolute necessity in the battle to win market share.

Pentax does NOT have a good reputation in the wedding and portrait photography industry....that's why most people are shooting Nikon and Canon.

And certainly, the D300 and D3 are much sturdier cameras than the K10D (which I own and love), so if Pentax desires any part of the pro market, they will need to act fast and with something as good in quality and features as the K10D, but much, much better, because that's what the consumer wants.

We can argue all day over LBA, CBA (camera buying addiction) and all of that, but the fact of the matter is that for many people, 'upgrading' every 2-3 years (or even sooner in some cases) is the norm and the only way a company will survive in the 21st century.

Just one human beings opinion

Last edited by pentax07; 08-24-2007 at 09:10 PM.