Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-10-2010, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax's Reply to my inquiry about a Mirrorless Camera

Hey guys,
So, I thought it would be a fat chance that I'd get anything more than a "Pentax can not comment at this time" reply to my inquiry:

Your Email:
"Hello,
Can Pentax confirm the existence of a "mirrorless" camera spoken of by Citigroup?"

Apparently I was wrong.

"Thank you for contacting Pentax.

As mirror-less camera categories are showing strong growth, we too are examining the possibility of producing this type of camera. And if we are to release such products, we believe that the camera should be a unique and distinctive model.
At this point PENTAX does not have a fixed plan for the release schedule, specifications, or price information.

Sincerely,
Dorian B.
Operations Supervisor
Pentax Imaging Technical Support"

So there you have it, folks. Make of it what you will.

08-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Thinking about the reply, there are two ways you can think the reply is formulated. First, they cannot say to customers they are not counting the possibility of the mirrorless, because that would be bad advertising, and they really don't have anything ready. Second possibility is that they are near of it's release already and they already are admitted of admitting something, but still they do not want to give any details before announcement. Either way, I see that they haven't taken "that's not our business" attitude like they have taken before for the 35mm FF camera. I take this that they have everything ready, but are finalising the product, and the announcement is near.

Comparing the official "opinions" on 35mmFF, they (Pentax) say, that they would need a new line of lenses. Here the story is different. I just wonder why? I cannot believe that the lenses Pentax so far has released, would be suitable for contrast detect systems not having screw driven focus. What on earth are they cooking?

-Veijo-
08-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Huh. That's a pretty sure sign that Pentax is

a. keeping tabs on market developments/technologies

and

b. actively developing mirror-less prototypes.
08-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
Huh. That's a pretty sure sign that Pentax is

a. keeping tabs on market developments/technologies

and

b. actively developing mirror-less prototypes.
Viva Pentax!

I hope it would have a deep grip.

08-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

considering you didn't get a "forget about it and buy a new Pentax DSLR instead" answer, I'd say it's a sure bet a mirrorless camera is coming soon
08-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To me, that last sentence sounds like confirmation that Pentax will soon be announcing the release of a mirrorless camera.
08-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

"a unique and distinctive model"? In other words, "we switching to a competitor's format (e.g. m4/3), what a crazy idea! H*ll will freeze over, before that".
I doubt they're "near the release" - too much to do for the K-mount system. In fact, it's a similar approach with the one taken for the "FF", yep, they never said they won't launch a "FF" camera, ever. Afaik, the last word was something like "we'll have a FF camera if it will be profitable for us, but for now the 645D project is a priority".

08-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
considering you didn't get a "forget about it and buy a new Pentax DSLR instead" answer, I'd say it's a sure bet a mirrorless camera is coming soon
I'd like to think so as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
To me, that last sentence sounds like confirmation that Pentax will soon be announcing the release of a mirrorless camera.
Haha, exactly. They're usually a tad more cryptic than this.
08-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Well, you really want to be disappointed
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"a unique and distinctive model"? In other words, "we switching to a competitor's format (e.g. m4/3), what a crazy idea! H*ll will freeze over, before that".
I doubt they're "near the release" - too much to do for the K-mount system. In fact, it's a similar approach with the one taken for the "FF", yep, they never said they won't launch a "FF" camera, ever. Afaik, the last word was something like "we'll have a FF camera if it will be profitable for us, but for now the 645D project is a priority".
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, you really want to be disappointed
Citigroup never announced Pentax was diving into the world of FF, did they?
You never know. There's plenty more than M4/3 out there, as far as mirrorless goes.
Also, 645D is released, so nothing more to worry about on that end. What else do you think Pentax is working on? A FF machine gun? EVIL is much more Pentax style, IMHO.
08-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This is certainly a canned response and a very nice piece of marketing. It feeds the anticipation by assuring us that as special people (Pentax folks) we will get a special camera, not a "me too" box with glass on the front.

Without committing to anything.

Perfect!

These should be calibrated with the corporate standard. If the Hoya/Pentax stance is usually very reserved, or perhaps "no comment", this openness looks promising. If the Hoya/Pentax stance is usually enthusiastic and marketing-driven, this doesn't mean much.

But a boring EVIL is the last thing we want so it's certainly good news.

Thanks for passing it on!
08-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The statement neither confirms nor denies.

Meaning: it's in the pipe. We'll see what the other guys have got.

Nice ask, BTW.
08-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
EVIL is much more Pentax style, IMHO.
you mean like a rangefinder?
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The statement neither confirms nor denies.

Meaning: it's in the pipe. We'll see what the other guys have got.

Nice ask, BTW.
Yup. I guessed that's pretty much what it meant, and Canikon haven't invested in any EVILs yet, so..
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
you mean like a rangefinder?
I would guess something like that.
08-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

SMPhoto, are you sure the Citigroup report is accurate? I find it strange that Pentax would announce their future EVIL plans only to them (while nothing is publicly known about cameras which will be released next month).
Plenty of EVILs? There is m4/3, of course. Then, Samsung - I doubt Pentax would join them. And NEX. Sony's NEX. "Everything proprietary&as closed as it gets" Sony's NEX. Not that many systems, actually - though, I fail to see why Pentax would join any of them (abandoning us).
What Pentax is working on? We'll see next year... but I'll remind you that Pentax is the inventor of the Japanese SLR IMO, any K-mount, 645 or even 67 DSLR would fit better than those mirrorless thingies.

Aristophanes: "The statement neither confirms nor denies." - IMO this is the logical conclusion. And the only thing Pentax can do, right now.
They can't replicate the m4/3's success; too late for that (not sure if they had resources for such a bold move, anyway). IMO for now they can stay with the still dominant DSLRs, growing their market share, their brand recognition - and of course carefully observing the market, being ready to make this step when necessary.

Rangefinders, unfortunately, are a thing of the past (while they didn't completely disappeared). A true rangefinder is a complex mechanical device which requires the utmost precise alignment for it's various components.
Unlike them, the mirrorless which uses the main sensor for composing/focusing (manual or with contrast detection AF) require just a loose alignment, less than a SLR. Please, do not insult the rangefinders by such comparisons.