Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What I find funny is that the K-7 is at the very end of the list. It's almost like Pentax doesn't want their products to be seen...
I think the colored k-x's are probably at the top because those are items that are rather unique to Pentax's official store and because they are new.

Anybody interested in a K7 will probably already know about it and be shopping somewhere like BH, Adorama, or anywhere that they can get it for less than the MSRP. Likewise with black, white, red, or navy blue k-x. AFAIK Pentax's official webstore is the only place to stock the other colors.

They also probably get a lot better margin on selling one of those colored k-x's through their own website than they do selling a k7 at wholesale price to a retailer.

08-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kxr4trids Quote
Also, that pink doesn't look "hot" to me. If you're not either very female or very flamboyant, I don't think you'd get away with it.
now now a girl in a pink bra and panties gets me going
08-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Nice that you, across the Ocean can have more choices of color. In europe they are availeble since march.
08-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Nice that you, across the Ocean can have more choices of color. In europe they are availeble since march.
Were you referring to cameras or replying to Christopher's post?

08-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool colors, KX has all the luck.
I would be hard pressed not to spend money on a olive K-7, grip, 16-50 and 60-250.
08-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #21

Am I the only one who is kind of annoyed by all the frou-frou colors?

I don't care if the camera is "pretty", I care if the pictures are.

If its selling more cameras for Pentax, I guess I can just swallow my curmudgeonly pride and tell myself that it's more money that they can put towards things I actually care about.
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Peronally, I am just amazed that no one in the Pentax US or Canadian marketing depts ever thought to work with the Susan Komen foundation on the pink camera (donating a portion of sales to breast cancer research) or with Product(RED) on the red one (donating a portion to AIDS treatment and prevention in Africa). It's not like it has to be overt, but they already had the colors and it would seriously raise brand awareness...

Oh wait - I see the flaw in my logic: Pentax marketing doing something to raise brand awareness!
08-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #23

They've just brought out the light pink and red/yellow in Australia at Ted's Camera Store.

I also saw a red K-7 in the camera store last week, I didn't think k-7's had different colours?

08-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #24
Site Supporter

That red/yellow looks way nice. Every search and rescue team should have one. Weatherproof of course.
08-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #25
Forum Member

I'm surprised that so many people are turned off by the choices. If you have different color shirts, shoes, cars, or anything you own comes in more than one color, I don't see how it/you would be weird to have a camera in your favorite color too.
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ShiftR Quote
I'm surprised that so many people are turned off by the choices. If you have different color shirts, shoes, cars, or anything you own comes in more than one color, I don't see how it/you would be weird to have a camera in your favorite color too.
Many Pentax users here fall under the old gits/geezer demographic, and most have a fixed mindset of what color a camera ought to look like. So obviously they won't be all that receptive to the range of colors (especially the bright ones) besides boring black.
08-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Many Pentax users here fall under the old gits/geezer demographic, and most have a fixed mindset of what color a camera ought to look like. So obviously they won't be all that receptive to the range of colors (especially the bright ones) besides boring black.
If your a flamboyantly gay man who loves pink as some of my gay friends do then the k-x in pink would be perfect.

If your an event photographer looking to REALLY stand out from the crowd I think the k-x is a good way to get attention

Just my 2 cents
08-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by ShiftR Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
A camera is a tool, not an accessory. If Black & Decker started making hot pink power drills, would you take them seriously?
08-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
A camera is a tool, not an accessory. If Black & Decker started making hot pink power drills, would you take them seriously?
They make bumble theme colored professional tools branded Dewalt, Milwaukee is red and silver, Makita is sky/light blue with either black or red batteries. Tools also come in different colors. Rigid tools are also silver and red. Craftsmen table saws are silve, black and red...

BTW black and decker tools are for home use only, their pro division is Dewalt :-)

p.s. When I was working in a Sears tool department, no professional was caught with black and decker, unless it said professional on it and that was before they formed dewalt, everything that was made in say the last 10 years under the black and decker name is pretty much junk.
08-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
You are clearly mistaken. Cameras have been accessories for at least 50 years, in addition to being tools for photography.

Obviously, you don't use it that way, but it's been very successful for making money for Pentax, which helps support making better cameras. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as they don't lose sight of actual photography — and it doesn't seem at all that they have.