Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, if they were good tools, why not?

I have a set of small hand tools, pliers and such that are purple-handled. I bought them because they were smaller and fit my hands well. But it's a fact that they are both functional and pretty, and yes, I take them very seriously. A tool can absolutely be aesthetically pleasing and useful. They're not mutually exclusive, and btw my "girly" pliers etc are the ones that seem to go "missing" most of the time around here. They work so well that everyone is always borrowing them and forgetting to put them back!

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
A camera is a tool, not an accessory. If Black & Decker started making hot pink power drills, would you take them seriously?

08-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Many Pentax users here fall under the old gits/geezer demographic, and most have a fixed mindset of what color a camera ought to look like. So obviously they won't be all that receptive to the range of colors (especially the bright ones) besides boring black.
I can only speak for one old git: me. First SLR was an Asahi Spotmatic purchased in Yokosuka in 1969.

If more colors sell more Pentax cameras (and lenses, and yet more cameras etc.), then I'm very happy indeed. If I don't want a purple camera .... you know what's coming .... I don't buy it. Simple.

And for the stunning climax, I shoot with a black K-7 on one hip and a "red" K-X on the other. Can you guess which camera starts more discussions about Pentax with strangers? And that's a very good thing ....
08-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #33
Veteran Member

And this all reminds me of the first time I saw an officer place pink cuffs on a person to be detained.

The individual was just as detained as if the cuffs were plain stainless steel.

And no, I was not the object of that investigation.
08-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
You are clearly mistaken. Cameras have been accessories for at least 50 years, in addition to being tools for photography.
Bah, humbug!

QuoteQuote:
Obviously, you don't use it that way, but it's been very successful for making money for Pentax, which helps support making better cameras. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, as long as they don't lose sight of actual photography — and it doesn't seem at all that they have.
Which is what I said in my first post. It just seems silly to me. Might as well just get Lady GaGa to hawk Pentax products. Like I said, if it makes them more money that they can spend making serious tools for serious tools (like myself), I can begrudgingly appreciate it.

08-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-x must be highly profitable!
08-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member

seriously tempted by that orange one
08-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I don't like the idea of black lenses on the different color cameras. Just kind of throws the visual balance of the camera off for me. Also, for me, I can't see paying the price difference. I would rather have a black camera and put the price difference in/towards a new lens.

08-15-2010, 11:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by subeeds Quote
I don't like the idea of black lenses on the different color cameras. Just kind of throws the visual balance of the camera off for me. Also, for me, I can't see paying the price difference. I would rather have a black camera and put the price difference in/towards a new lens.
I wish the other colors were available at other retailers too! I like the olive green one!