Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
small cameras, big lenses

Sony has announced an 18-200 lens for NEX: 商品の特長 | SEL18200 | デジタル一眼カメラ“α”(アルファ)[Eマウント] | ソニー

...but it's significantly longer, thicker and heavier than the Tamron and Sigma 18-200 lenses. In fact, compared to a K-x with the Tamron or Sigma mounted, about half of the weight and depth advantage of the NEX-5 is lost.

If only Pentax at this point could release a really compact super zoom to match the K-x (and the possible "K-r") which is even smaller and lighter than the Tamron and Sigma lenses, P&S upgraders who are looking for an all-in-one solution offering similar range to their P&S camera may be convinced that they really lose nothing in portability by choosing the K-x instead of a NEX...

08-12-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They had the rebadged DA 18-250mm, so I'm sure one will be made available in the future.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The DA 18-250 has been discontinued for quite a while now, let's hope they have something ready for this fall.
08-12-2010, 05:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, How to make a mirrorless completely ridiculous

08-12-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't think the Sony NEX superzoom will be used much on NEX3/5, but more of a lens for the NEX camcorder. This lens is optimized for video as optical stabilization has more space for movement, but it also shows how much bigger a lens with optical stabilization can be.
08-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This perfectly illustrates my arguments in EVIL discussions: what is the point of loosing optical viewfinder and getting small camera if you have to attach large lens to that small body anyway.

If you need small camera - get point and shoot, it's going to fit in your pocket and you can carry it anywhere. If you get camera which won't fit into your pocket and you are going to carry it in bag/backpack - get DSLR.
08-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
If you need small camera - get point and shoot, it's going to fit in your pocket and you can carry it anywhere. If you get camera which won't fit into your pocket and you are going to carry it in bag/backpack - get DSLR.
DSLR and mirrorless cameras are IMO optimized for different types of applications.

Bigger DSLR work best for normal and tele lenses, but not very well optimized for wide angle lenses. (And it is even worse if using APS-C sensor).

Small mirrorless work best for wide angle and normal lenses as the shorter register distance makes it easier to design these lenses. For longer lenses the balance of the camera gets worse, and without EVF it is more difficult to handle the camera. So mirrorless cameras are more of an alternative to RF than DSLR.

Small cameras are optimized for use with small lenses and big cameras for use of big lenses.

08-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This perfectly illustrates my arguments in EVIL discussions: what is the point of loosing optical viewfinder and getting small camera if you have to attach large lens to that small body anyway.

But what if you are never going to use a long lens? For example I have a Sigma 120-400, a Series 1 70-210, and the Penax 55-300. I can count on both hands the number of times I've used them. On the other hand I use the DA 15-70mm all the time or I did until I got the E-P2 with the Olympus 9-18mm, Panasonic 20mm and Panasonic 45mm. That's all the lens I'll ever need. The whole E-P2 kit fits in this tiny National Geographic shoulder bag. The same coverage in a Pentax kit would definitely necessitate a larger bag. I'm not sure where this EVIL camera has to fit in your pocket thing comes from. That said all the micro four thirds stuff would fit in a jacket pocket.

If I was a person who used a 70-200, no I probably wouldn't buy an E-P2. I usually just use the Panasonic 20mm and have the 45mm in case I want to do a macro shot. Really good lenses.
08-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

what is the point of loosing optical viewfinder .
True WYSIWYG and reduced cost.
08-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
You're assuming that everyone uses zoom lenses. I haven't owned a zoom lens in about 15 years. I considered zooms to be way too big to be convenient - and the small ones are so slow as to hinder their versatility.

I didn't use them with my Pentax, Canon or Nikon film cameras nor do I use them on my DSLR. Mirrorless is likely the next logical evolution for me considering the way I like to shoot - high quality, very compact with exchangable lenses.

Yes, I'm still considering a move back to Pentax for the K7 Super, if it comes out and meets my needs - I love what Pentax is doing with their camera designs and amzing primes - but mirrorless has a hold on me and I may go that way if the next generation of cameras have the features I want.
08-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
True WYSIWYG and reduced cost.
No more wysiwyg than OVF IMO, just different (somewhat better and somewhat worse at the same time).
08-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
I'm not sure where this EVIL camera has to fit in your pocket thing comes from. That said all the micro four thirds stuff would fit in a jacket pocket.
Probably from DSLRs users (like me) who don't see the point in having a camera which wouldn't fit into pocket (lens attached) but perform worse than their current DSLR. Something like having disadvantage of both P&S and DSLR in one machine.

I agree with you, if one is prime user only, small primes (pancakes) on mirrorless has a lot of sense (speaking sizewise only).
08-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
No more wysiwyg than OVF IMO, just different (somewhat better and somewhat worse at the same time).
Even with DOF preview, it can be hard to judge what your picture will look like in once it's taken. It's why people "chimp" the lcd preview all the time. I know I do.

A well implemented EVF will make that a thing of the past -- even going so far as use special effect filters in real time. It would be nice to shoot BW pictures in BW. And you'll know how the exposure will come out every time.

But I agree, there are strengths and weaknesses either way. Although EVF seems to get a bum rap.
08-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #14

Usually I would agree with Edvinas, but somehow recently I'm also changing my mind. In this Sony NEX-5 First Impressions Review Michael Reichmann points out that Sony has been innovative, both because they have not been influenced by film camera design and because trying to converge still and video cameras design.
I'm absolutely no good at forecasting how the market goes, but just wondering if "beginner's" DSLR (whatever this means) are going to disappear in favor of mirrorless-interchangeable lens cameras, where there still is room for experimenting different form factors.
I find quite obvious that most compacts look the same, ad so do most of DSLR. This is not true for mirrorless. Maybe a design will emerge that will fit where current entry level DLSR do (If I had to choose I would be in favor of having a viewfinder anyway ).
08-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Even with DOF preview, it can be hard to judge what your picture will look like in once it's taken. It's why people "chimp" the lcd preview all the time. I know I do.

A well implemented EVF will make that a thing of the past -- even going so far as use special effect filters in real time. It would be nice to shoot BW pictures in BW. And you'll know how the exposure will come out every time.

But I agree, there are strengths and weaknesses either way. Although EVF seems to get a bum rap.
EVFs gets a well deserved bum rap at their present level of implementation. Optical viewfinders are still superior.
You would chimp less if you learned more about the relationship between DOF and aperture, not that the screen on the back of a camera is much good for determining DOF anyway.