Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I certainly wish to have the viewfinder of an FF camera....
My point is, why don't they just go out and buy one instead to constantly complaning about Pentax? I think they don't want to spend the cash on one.

08-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I noticed that some people are saying that DSLRs are nearing their max for capabilities.
I agree and I would also add.

1. I foresee an autofocus system tracking a moving target such as a flying target.

2. Something like dual core sensors such as in computers.

I think it is premature to think APS-C cameras are reaching a climax.
08-14-2010, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
youky63: very impressive work. i'd say you probably don't need ff, but if you think you do, hell, good luck! i also like it that instead of pathetic lamentation you 1. take pictures, with passion 2. reason and make a decision (bad or good, i don't know, but you make it and stand by it). i want to mention one thing though: don't worry so much about "future-proofnes", canon has left their entire userbase dead in the watter when moving to their new AF mount, _dead_ _in_ _the_ _water_. so did minolta. nikon contax and pentax were the only ones (iirc) to keep the mount, pentax being, imho, the only one truly commited to backwards compatibility to this day, contax being dead, "killed by the digital age" (it still makes me sad..), and nikon being the closest to the "evil" two (their compatibility comes with a fine print, to put it mildly). nikon is already showing signs of poking at their userbase (the whole in-body af motor storry), to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if either of the current "players" would do something.. uhm.. extreme (pentax included, make no mistake, but them being the last i would expect it from). so i guess my point is: smile, it could be worse tomorrow .

dslr manufacturers running out of ideas: no way. NO way. and it's not because they stil have so much to do and improve, but because the world we live in has thought us to be good consumers . the last major improvement pentax has made was probably the lx, everything else for me is just dead weight (yeah yeah, i know, very inflamatory remark), but who cares what it think? i did get the k20d didn't i? was the k10d not enough? sure it was. they'll make them and we'll buy them, and they will come up with such useless and silly crap we can't even imagine it now. and we'll buy them and ask for more .

on a slightly different note, when i was a kid and making my first steps in photography (struggling to purchase gear, reading everything and anything i could get my hand on on the subject, day dreaming of nikon f2a's and so on), i read an article in a magazine i will never forget, and which comes back again and again, since i got my first dslr. some camera engineer (i think it was) told a story of him asking a photographer (amateur/snapper, not pro, or even enthusiast) what he would like in a camera, his dream camera, no limits, money being no object, etc. it went something like this: "i'd like it to be small and light, but still high quality and sturdy, to allow you to take much more pictures, and to preview them instantly, but still have the quality of good negative film [not like polaroid], i'd like it to allow full control but still be capable of high automation if needed". this is not a quote (and the orginal magazine is right now 1000km away from me), but it will have to do. keep in mind this was published soemtime in the 70's if i am not mistaking. ending, the guy said "i'm sorry, that was probably not very useful, sounds completely unreasonable, more like daydreaming" to which the reply was "not at all. you pretty much summed up what everybody would like to have". reading that, i recall i thought "not in my lifetime.". i don't want to sound like an (old) broken record, but i can't help pointing out: bloody hell, we have it all, now! wanting more is by no means bad, but it's worth stopping for a second and realizing how much we have. just for a second though, progress is born from discontent
08-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
can't sleep. to youky: you know what, i have to point something else out: you have to keep in mind you will lose the capability of your samyang 85/1.4 (i love that lens too btw, simply brilliant) for that field of view on ff (pentax used to make a 135/1.8, but expensive as crap, the canon 135/2 is expensive too). with the canon lens you will lose more than one stop on that, so back to square one. maybe (just maybe) you're better off spending your money on one of those insane night 50's (50/1, like noctilux, i think voigtalnder makes a "reasonably priced" one these days) and fitting it to some of these better evil's, that are bound to come out and have very good high iso, or maybe even on the k20d or k-x. but i'd go for the m4/3 if i where you rather than aps-c, why? for the same fov, you will actually lose dof assuming you manage to get the same light gathering capability (135/1.4 on 35mm will be much shallower dof than 85/1.4 on aps-c), and in such low light, you need all the dof you can get as focusing is always a challenge, so fast primes with a (solid performer at high iso) m4/3 seems to be the best bet for night portraits, you might have trouble with wideangle, but oh well (maybe samyang will make one for m4/3 ). i know it sounds a bit backwards, but come to think of it, ff is worse for low light in this case at least, smaller sensor with good solid high iso (aps-c level or near) and fast prime and in body stabilization seems to be a killer combination.

08-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #80
Veteran Member

My situation is this;
Currently using a K20 and Sigma 10-20 (also have a Sigma 24-60 which I don't use much and probably get rid of). I havn't bought any Pentax lenses as I have been waiting for the inevitable FF. At the moment I am happy with the K20, I can produce great prints up to 36"x24" and camera is brilliant. However if I want to print larger I will need to look at FF or MF.

So my options are (in order of preference);
1. Get a Pentax 645D and lenses
2. Get the Pentax FF.... when it arrives.
3. Get a Sony A850 and some nice CZ lenses
4. Stay with the K20 and invest in some lenses
5. Get a Canon 5D MK2

All this asssumes that money is not an issue (sure!).
I use my camera for pro landscape work, so can easily justify the costs, so if the cash was available I would just go option 1.
08-14-2010, 11:42 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Pentax didn't have an equivalent of the E-P2 so I bought an Olympus. No big deal.
That was stupid. You should have bought a Pentax anyways, then spent all your time complaining about how Pentax needs to release an E-P2 equivalent, and saying that you're going to switch brands if they don't release one soon.
08-15-2010, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #82
Veteran Member

Last friday, I went to check the colour proofs (the CMYK separations for printing) for my new book on the work of the sculptor Willy Peeters. He, the one responsible for the pre-press, was amazed by the quality of my work. Besides the values of the contents, he wondered about the technical quality of the photos too. He was so surprised when I told him that all was shot with the K20D and the limiteds, that he had to go and sit down for a while, really, he couldn't believe his eyes!
The book is due for the 19 Th. of september, just before Photokina opens. The book will be presented to the public that day on the Ijzerenberg estate in Winksele near Leuven at 16:00h.
This is the 4 Th. book I shoot with Pentax, first the K10 and now with the K20. In October there will be an other one published ( #5) on interior design for witch I finished shooting last week. The publisher is very much pleased with the quality of my work.
Now, I am currently working on two books, all K20 and limited lenses.
Who said that Pentax is not a pro's camera?

Stop nagging and go out shooting!