Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax, wanna hire me to do your marketing?!?!?!?!

08-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
I don't really care for small and nimble. Actually, I am thinking of adding a grip to my k20. I guess I have big hands. But what really impressed me was how fast and accurate the focus was on that camerea and I liked the 8fps burst mode.

Do you think pentax is going to release something that is a superior to the K7? I thought it was going to be a K5, which was to bridge the gap b/w the kx and k7, no?
08-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Canon did do some better job on improving their AF system, 8fps is nice, but if you ask youself how many times you actually use that anyway? I've been comparing and having hands on with 7D and my new D300s, Nikon definitely has a little upper hand on the AF tracking.
08-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
+2 No offense to anyone intended but I sometimes wonder why some people bought Pentax. I guess I just don't understand why someone would buy a Pentax when it's clear they wanted what Nikon offered and Pentax didn't. Pentax didn't have an equivalent of the E-P2 so I bought an Olympus. No big deal.
Amen to that.

Pentax fills a nice niche and is the best bang for the buck. If I ever truly NEED a FF, I'll buy a Nikon. Until then...I'm happy with Pentax.

08-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since I am not going to be able to afford the 645D for a while, I would love to pick up a new FF camera from Pentax. A friend told me though not to expect a FF for a while. So I will pucker up and wait for a lil and see what the K5 has and either pick up a K7 or the new model. That's what's on my agenda.

p.s. No I will not leave Pentax if it doesn't make a FF. IF your in the business for that type of resolution, I suggest the 645D. I would pick up a FF if available due to the fact that I will be upgrading from a K100D Super. The images that 6.1 mp sensor pumps out is great but a jump to 16-21 mp from a FF would blow me away.

If I was thinking of upgrading from a K7, i might stop and think it over a little as the resolution difference between a FF sensor and APS-C 14 mp isn't very big at A3. A0 though i was told there was a slight advantage with FF. I don't print A0 so it's moot for me :-( (not yet anyways)
08-12-2010, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

When I reed what some people are posting on this forum, you know, the ones who know — and can do everything better, I feel ashamed!
I have learned a lot about DIGITAL photography over here. When I joined this forum; I was, after more than 25 years of professional ANALOGUE photography, a near novice in the Digital world, I felt I knew nothing. I joined the Digital Pentax camp because I started working with the LX back in 1985. I took up the LX as a 35 mm slr parallel next to my Leica M gear (and Hasselblad and Linhof).
I never felt that I did wrong by choosing Pentax!
When I see what a K20 + the ltd. lenses + a good computer + the right app. + experience can do compared to 35 mm colour reversal film, I wonder what and why we want more. Perhaps a little of this and that, just to satisfy or obsessions. But, after all, we should be thankful for what has been achieved in the last 10 years, it's amazing!
If you are no more pleased with Pentax, then please do go, and leave us in peace, BUT STOP BASHING!
08-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
I'll be selling my equipment and moving to Nikon

Still move to Nikon because Pentax won't ever be class leading. They would have to jump several generations to do so. I can't see them bringing out a body as robust as the Canon 1d or Nikon D3, or have faster autofocus than the 1d mkIV

If smaller is an advantage, why do pretty much all the top wildlife and sport shooters use Canon, and the rest Nikon? When you make something smaller you have to give something up in return. Pros know this and are willing to sacrifice a pound or 2 to get the speed and IQ they need. Smaller is good for the weekender going backpacking, but if you make your living taking pictures speed and IQ wins every time.

Pentax doesn't do cutting edge, more like weed whacker. They have never been cutting edge and they don't have the resources to do so. Plus many Pentaxians are too cheap to buy cutting edge, so there is no incentive to invest in the R&D required.

No matter what Pentax puts out, most pros are too heavily invested in their systems to switch, especially given Pentax's history. They have no support system for pros and their lens lineup is way too small for a working pro to choose from. You might get a few starting their pro careers but they will most likely use the 2 brands that have proven themselves with other pros for many years. Neither of those are Pentax.

So to answer your question again, I will be moving to Nikon if Pentax doesn't make an announcement of a FF at Photokina.
With those things you talked about Pentax in the above post , i wonder why you haven't gone to Nikon yet ? You don't need to wait for Pentax announcement at Photokina . Move on .

08-13-2010, 12:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Definitely staying with Pentax myself despite lack of new long glass. Will never switch to Canon or Nikon.
08-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #24

On my side, as I already announced on other threads, I will move to Canon end of year/beginning of next year, whatever do Pentax. I would just like to explain my choice.

Many people wonder if and when Pentax will release a FF body. I guess even more people here (at least I gt that feeling reading that kind of thread) don't even want Pentax to go FF, afraid maybe it would cost too much to the company that will stop yo develop good APS-C cameras (or whatever is their reason to not want it).
On my side, what I see is a company that doesn't know if it must jump to FF format. Pentax was the 1st one to try that way, but the awful sensor available at that time made them go APS-C. And since that time, they designed a new lens line up "dedicated" APS-C, even if half of them are at the same time FF compatible. To me, it looks like they don't know what to do, and will not jump if nobody push them (NB: maybe Hoya will be a litle bit less scared to take decisions, let's see). So, for me, even if they finally decide to release a FF camera now, I would not feel comfortable to build my lens line up with very expensive new glasses specialy developped for this format. Because if they don't sell it well, they will have no other choice than stopping to offer a FF body.
That is why I don't anymore want to wait to know if they go FF or not. Then some of you would say I am stupid to started with Pentax 2 years ago, while Canon or Nikon seems to be a better choice for my wishes. I would "yes", if it was today. But, back to the future, when I bought my K20D, it's competitors was Canon 40D and Nikon D70. New bodies were expected, but not yet announced, Pentax lenses was way cheaper than Canikon's and I needed a good body at thhat moment, cannot wait more. Since Pentax offered a couple of excellent products before (K10D, K200D), and some people was already talking about a potential FF Pentax, it appeared to be a logical choice at that time. Sadly for me, things didn't went as expected... Canon and Nikon released APS-C cameras equivalent to the K20D 2 months later and I was not thinking to move FF (too much expensive to me at that time).
Today, I know a bit more things about camera, I know a bit more things about japanese camera company, and I see things in a different way.
K20D was a nice body, and can still perform very well (same IQ as the actual K7), but I discovered a passion for night portraiture. So I need very fast lenses and high isos. Which cannot be offered by Samsung' sensor. Then maybe the next Sony's one will offer more or less what I need, but I decided to move a step forward what can offer actual and next generation of APS-C sensors.
Then, when I look then lens line up, excepted FA limited (and even not fast enough in my opinion), there is nothing actually that feet to my needs. Even Sigma or Tamron offers me a wider choice of adequat lenses. Add to that the very noisy and annoying screw driver AF and the so so accurancy of AF (I get lot of problem recently during my night shots at f/1.4), and you may understand why I am done with the actual Pentax.
I will move to Canon. I don't like their ergonomics, but I can get used to it. I only care about IQ results. They offer a 5D MarkII camera with a very good high iso performance (i checked yesterday results for night pictures compared to Nikon D700 and it is almost better with the Canon! Bildqualität | Testberichte | dkamera.de | Das Digitalkamera-Magazin ), the central AF point seems stellar for dim light conditions (even people using 1DMarkIV tell good words about this specific AF point, the only one I use) and AF is noiseless using the very fast and accurate USM motors.
Then, I have always been attracted by L lenses. Especially, the fabulous 70-200mm series. They also offer the unique 135mm F/2, which will correspond exactly to my actual favorite lens (Samyang 85mm f/1.4), and some very fast shorter primes. Exactly what I need today.
For all these reasons, it is time for me to leave Pentax. I enjoyed their ergonomics, the build quality of their products, the SR, the feeling to have a special object (even in Japan people didn't understood why I had a Pentax camera, they were amused to see Pentax was doing digital dSLR and a foreigner was crazy enough to buy it!). But now I want more. Much more. And Pentax is not going to offer me all what I want/need until a very long time. I need something much better "now", I will not leave in Japan all my life and want to keep incredible shots, for which I need the better camera set-up I can buy. Canon is offering me that set up. And also insurance for the next decades that I can continue to use my expensive equipment. Who can say the same here with its Pentax gears?
PS: check how much money you spent in your gear collection, with all these DA/FA limited and stars. I didn't yet started to buy that kind of expensive lenses. So please understand that I want to be sure to not "waste" my money since I will buy it from now.
08-13-2010, 01:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

If Pentax will not, I'll work hard to get money to by my self 645D
08-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Youky63: You'll have to spend a lot of $$ to get what you want, but... why not? We only live once
Good luck.
08-13-2010, 03:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
+2 No offense to anyone intended but I sometimes wonder why some people bought Pentax. I guess I just don't understand why someone would buy a Pentax when it's clear they wanted what Nikon offered and Pentax didn't. Pentax didn't have an equivalent of the E-P2 so I bought an Olympus. No big deal.
It is actually possible for people's needs to change, such as mine. Wouldn't it be nice not to have to change systems when they do?
08-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shuie Quote
What if the folks at pentax do what they have previously said and not announce a FF camera.
I would be not surprised at all.

What would you do if instead they concentrated in the same direction they have been heading all along in APS-C.
Well, I would keep making pictures with my K20D, I guess.

What would you do if they released a camera with the latest sensor technology, not the last great thing, but the current next best thing.
It depends form the other features, for my kind of phots, the Sammy sensor is enough.

what if it had class leading AF.
It would cost much, much more than a K-7, so I don't know if I could afford to buy it. I would be happy with some tweaking of the K-7 Af, in the AF-C department.

what if it had a stronger, more robust, weathersealed body than currently available from the other guys. what if the DR and high ISO specs where at the top of the class, rather than yesterdays news? Would you buy it? Would you say" yes, its the best that there is, but its not FF"?
DR of K20D is quite enough for me, I was shooting Kodachrome 25 in the past and current K20D DR is nearly science fiction for me.

Who is Pentax marketing to? Not studio Pros (sorry Benjikan). People who go outside with their DSLR's and shoot in tough conditions. Nature, wildlife, landscape, potentially sports, thats where I see Pentax going. The advantage of using smaller bodies, and smaller lenses to emulate the same results on a much larger FF system seems clear to me, in certain applications.
Seems to me (and Hoya declared that, at some point) that more than wildlife or sport shooters (wich, aside wheater sealing, needs long, fast tele, superfast AF and superfast fps, things that would make the new camera much more expensive than what pentaxians are used to), Penbtax aims for outdoors lovers, people that like hiking, trekking, canoeing, backpack horseing, mountain-biking, fishing and the such, people to which photography is a complement to another main hobby.
I think what Pentax could do now is a EVIL (or whatever is called these days) system with wheater sealed lenses marketing it through specialized magazines fot outdoor hobbists.
As for FF, I think the choice of medium format by pentax clearly states that is a road that will not be taken. I am expecting a cheaper 645D, with some "old" MF sensor around 20MP, as a "consumer-savy" entrance into the 645 system.

So to my original question, what if, what would you do?
Wait, for now.
08-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Back to the OP...

I'd do exactly as I have been doing for years, enjoying my interest in Photography with my chosen gear. Anyone who has bought into the Pentax line in the past few years with the hope of going to FF is fooling themselves. This is an exception to those who came from film and have an array of FF capable lenses already. The fact is, and it is a fact...if you cant do well with a quality cropped sensor, you're not going to make any leaps and bounds with a FF body. If you are one who thinks otherwise, why are you still using a Pentax body as of today anyway? While I think the idea of a Pentax FF body one day will be a cool choice to have, it isnt going to "save the company" or change any perceptions about the Pentax brand. Those are really quite silly notions to find security in.

IF...Pentax can increase the dynamic range/noise levels in their cropped sensors and improve the AF performance while drastically improving the effectiveness of it's SR system (fixing the blur problems to boot), then I would be happier....those are attributes to improving and enjoying photography more than a FF body just because other brands have them. If you want FF, there are choices, just not with Pentax any time soon. The good news to all of this is, there is a very active market place on this forum and Ebay for selling your gear and migrating over to another brand. Stop making excuses.

Jason
08-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #30
Veteran Member

youky63, good luck with Canon, Canon's AWB is not the best thing out there, they don't produce natural colors very well. 5D Mark II is a good camera, but the UI sucks.

I don't understand why people are so caught up with FX cameras.