Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I'll take it in whatever colour I can get it - as long as it's black. (with apologies to Henry Ford)

In all seriousness, however, I prefer black as it reflects as little light as possible. Ergo:
  • It doesn't blind me in bright sun
  • It doesn't reflect light into the scene
  • It doesn't blind any of my would-be subjects (though the flowers wouldn't mind)
  • It doesn't draw unnecessary attention

08-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
No thanks.. When I do get the one semi-pro model Pentax is currently producing, I don't want to take it on a photoshoot and have people say "Oh, Pentax! Yeah, that model comes in pink now right? I was thinking about getting one for my 12-year-old." Us Pentaxians take enough abuse as it is.. Plus, silver and black are the only colors I personally would buy for a camera that expensive(not really, but you know). Just my 2c's.
I would agree with you on that one. A Semi Pro Camera on up thru Pro needs to be Black or Silver
08-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #18
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I guess the question is if a move such as this would cheapen the image of what was perceived to be a flagship model. Now that there will be one above it, maybe they can mess with K-7 like they did with K-x.

How about red/black battery grip??? I think that would look cool.

What would be really cool is if the camera has no Pentax logo or markings whatsoever. I know that will never happen, but I will buy that.
Umm, How about Black body and red Battery Grip on k-7?
08-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
this is hillarious, you'd think with some of these responses new colors would be mandatory.

I personally would love a green camera with a black handle. Maybe even an 18% grey? Think pink/orange/blah blah blah would be bad for shooting events? Don't buy one. Remember new colors are options, pick one you best see fit. If you want a black camera, buy a black camera.

One last thing, its hilarious how pentax is always a "semi-pro" brand until the color discussion.

08-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Professional != conventional
08-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ShiftR Quote
I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I'm at a redlight next to a red Ferrari or yellow Lamborghini. Those "professional instruments" (on a track) couldn't possibly perform better than me, I mean..look at them!
The reason to be worried about multi colored bodies is if that all Pentax has to offer. If style becomes more important than function, then there is an issue. If that red Ferrari is a just fiberglass kit on a VW chassis I don't think you would be all that impressed, eh?

Thank you
Russell
08-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think pentax should jump on the pop-punk bandwagon and only release cameras in either plaid, black/white stripes, or Twilight / Avril Lavinie / Hannah Montana imagery plastered all over the front. It would be preferable if it had one of those pseudo holograms where Avril changes facial expression.

That would give you a lot of opportunities for fun if anyone asks you "Why Pentax?"
08-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Also seen here:

Pentax K-x DSLR gets eight more colors | iTech News Net - Gadget News and Reviews

Jack

08-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Having a K-7 in different assorted colors won't happen, because the body is made of magnesium, not polycarbonate plastic. I have seen the inside of the K-7 and the base color of the magnesium body panels on the inside is greyish. The exterior gets an external black finish. For those of you who are heavy users, you might have even found the edges wearing off and showing the base metal. It is not like polycarbonate plastic of the K-x where the plastic can be colored prior to molding.

Also from a marketing perspective, unless there is demand in volume, having other colors means more stock keeping units (SKU), which adds more complexity in the chain of process from order generation to production, distribution and maintaining stock levels. Sorry but I have to say those speculating a K-7 in different colors are off the mark and don't really know what they're talking about.
08-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Having a K-7 in different assorted colors won't happen, because the body is made of magnesium, not polycarbonate plastic. I have seen the inside of the K-7 and the base color of the magnesium body panels on the inside is greyish. The exterior gets an external black finish. For those of you who are heavy users, you might have even found the edges wearing off and showing the base metal. It is not like polycarbonate plastic of the K-x where the plastic can be colored prior to molding.

Also from a marketing perspective, unless there is demand in volume, having other colors means more stock keeping units (SKU), which adds more complexity in the chain of process from order generation to production, distribution and maintaining stock levels. Sorry but I have to say those speculating a K-7 in different colors are off the mark and don't really know what they're talking about.
Exactly! They could do some finishes such as tan, olive etc but they would have to be powder coated.
08-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Well, it's funny, because I don't really care about your opinion. As you obviously don't mine.
Wow. Are you normally like this when someone tries to complement you on your work? I just felt like I got slapped in the face for saying something nice.

Last edited by turbosaturn; 08-16-2010 at 08:57 PM.
08-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #27
Nubi

Maybe silver and black to choose from for K-5. That would be alright. I suppose.
08-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by turbosaturn Quote
Wow. Are you normally like this when someone tries to complement you on your work? I just felt like I got slapped in the face for saying something nice.
Sorry.. Wrote that late at night and read it the wrong way.. I thought of "Your work speaks for itself" in the insult form. Very sorry. Thank you.
08-16-2010, 10:05 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at it this way, many people scuffed originally when the K-x was announced that it was coing to come in different colors, that people would ridicule Pentax shooters, etc. I haven't seen that yet. The K-x is what's helping Pentax push forward and make profit so they can make the super ultra i'm so serious, i need a proctologist to help me serious camera available in only grim reaper black...

Seriously, people should lighten up a little. The K-x is available in some parts of the world in 100 colors, no one is telling these shooters to go stuff themselves are they? They are fellow Pentax shooters that are throwing down the bucks in mass to keep the company profitable. If you look at the spec sheet, the K-x is great, and i am sure that alot of people bought the camera for that reason, and I am also sure that for many, the different colors available are the deciding factor for them choosing Pentax. So if the K-7 came in 3 or 4 colors, I'm sure grim reaper black will be one of them. So it's gonna be alright.

Just my 2 cents.

theperception2008
08-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
this is hillarious, you'd think with some of these responses new colors would be mandatory.

I personally would love a green camera with a black handle. Maybe even an 18% grey? Think pink/orange/blah blah blah would be bad for shooting events? Don't buy one. Remember new colors are options, pick one you best see fit. If you want a black camera, buy a black camera.

One last thing, its hilarious how pentax is always a "semi-pro" brand until the color discussion.

I agree. If you think a professional camera should only come in black, or silver and are worried about how your camera would reflect upon you.. then, by all means, buy one in black, or silver.

But, there are probably a lot of people who would like a camera with the advanced capabilities of the K7, but who also like to "beat to a different drum" and would consider color options if they were available. I've always liked the looks of the orange K-x, as well as the olive drab one.

Would I use an orange K-7 to shoot a wedding? No, probably not... it would likely be too distracting for the people participating in the wedding and could cheapen or jokingly reflect what is supposed to be an "important" moment. But, a more subtle color like olive-drab would seem "passable" at a wedding.

Conversely, if it came to a photographer shooting fashion models with a K7, I hardly doubt the "subjects" would mind the photographer using a purple K7, or a pink one. Likewise, I don't think hunters or fisherman would have a problem if someone from a major hunting/fishing magazine showed up to photograph them using a camouflage K7. It all depends on which "area" a professional is working in.