Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 02:37 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
They should sell a color kit with a spray can of your choosing so you can "Paint your Pentax"

I saw a white K-X while on holiday. Didn't look too bad, though I like my black K7 anyway.

Oh, and to be honest, I'd imagine that you'd probably get far more women talking to you or agreeing to pose for you if you walked around with a colored camera.

08-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

IMHO Pro DLSR should be black, silver and three varieties of camо; forest, desert and snow.
08-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #33
Nubi

I wish all logos and letters on buttons were options, like the handgrip is an option.

Make sense.
08-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Sorry.. Wrote that late at night and read it the wrong way.. I thought of "Your work speaks for itself" in the insult form. Very sorry. Thank you.
Not sure how anyone can really take that as an insult. Even if they are just stating that the the work you produce is what matters isn't that much of an insult at all.

Anyway, I agree your work does speak for you, and I mean that both ways. I think you have some very nice work that you should never be ashamed of your choice in camera. Also in the way that its not what camera you use but what you create with it.

08-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I wish all logos and letters on buttons were options, like the handgrip is an option.

Make sense.
Not sure what's meant here. Do you mean that the buyer has an option to buy a body without any labels for the controls? And that Pentax should ship bodies without logos? Doesn't sound right.

But I will support the idea of one or two buttons being completely programmable: if there's a menu choice, or set of choices, it can be assigned to a button. I might want SR on/off and you might want AE-L.

Maybe not a great choice for entry level but I see value for photographers who would prefer an external control set matched to their individual style and circumstances. That's particularly true for PJs and others who are grabbing shots as they occur.
08-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member

About six months ago, Pentax offered a special edition K-7 (Japan only, I believe) in silver color. I don't know if it was painted or powder coated. I speculated at the time, that it might be a trial balloon for the next high-end camera. As some here have speculated, it did look good with the silver limited lenses.

If you remember, near the end of production for the M-m/K2000, they offered a limited edition white version that was received very well and sold out quickly. When the K-7 was announced, surprise, lots of colors, with white as one of the standard colors. I think that the silver K-7 was the same sort of marketing test.

Also, given the success of the colors in the K-x, I would expect to see the K-7 replacement offered in at least black and silver.
08-18-2010, 12:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I'd love a silver K-7 w/ a brown "leather" grip and matching battery grip.

08-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I think it would be a terrible idea. Pentax already has enough trouble establishing their professional credibility, and this would make it only harder. Doing so on the K-x is one thing, it is meant to target entry level people and hipsters, and is doing a great job. But they need to not let such tactics seep into their flagship line.

As for you work speaking for itself, that's fine, as long as people see you work first and not your camera. If I saw someone with a toy looking camera, my opinion is already made, and it would take a very impressive portfolio to get me to take them seriously. Not saying that is how it should be, just how it is.

As for the Lamborghini metaphor, that doesn't really hold and weight. Bright colors are the very mark of high performance vehicles, and in so doing, a lamborghini is making it self look more like a race or "professional" car by being brightly colored. Where as a camera is not mimicking the top level of camera by being orange, pink or green, it is mimicking the lowest level. If I painted a Hyundai Lamborghini yellow, no one would assume anything more of it, and likewise, when someone choose to buy a Lambo in black, which they make, no one assume less of it.

I colored K-7 would be like a very fine brief case that a company was trying to target at professional business men. Let's say this fine briefcase comes in four models: black leather, brown leather, spiderman, and cinderella. Not many businessmen would be interested in this briefcase, regardless of how nice the black and brown leather versions were.

There is a lot to be said for upholding a professional standard, even when it comes down to matters of pure aesthetics. Whether they should or not, people, especially peopel that are paying you to do something for them, form immediate opinions about you based on matters of pure aesthetics. And once formed, those are very hard to break.
08-18-2010, 01:06 PM   #39

Photos: Albums
Samsonite luggage, duffles, laptop bags, laptop backpacks, luggage bags
I saw my colleagues as professional and wanted to buy all the stuff they had, including a Samsonite bag. But when I saw the panda, I despised them. Now I only refer to them as "the panda buggers".
08-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
I saw my colleagues as professional and wanted to buy all the stuff they had, including a Samsonite bag. But when I saw the panda, I despised them. Now I only refer to them as "the panda buggers".
Well, that's pretty silly.
08-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #41

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Well, that's pretty silly.
Thank you! Now I have reference to put in my job application to the Ministry of Silly Talks.
08-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
You've only proven my point...?

We're not talking about brand here, we're talking about models. Samsonite having a model specifically for kids, that is designed to appeal to kids, has no bearing on the fact that their professional line of bags is designed to appeal to professionals.

Furthermore, Samsonite is a well respected brand, that already carries with itself, and very good reputation among professionals. When people see a kids design Samsonite, they most likely think, 'hey a bag that my kid will like, with the same quality of hte samsonite bag that I already love.' Pentax, haven't not yet established said reputation for excellent quality, does not have the freedom to start making their top line appear less professional than the competition.
08-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Not sure how anyone can really take that as an insult. Even if they are just stating that the the work you produce is what matters isn't that much of an insult at all.

Anyway, I agree your work does speak for you, and I mean that both ways. I think you have some very nice work that you should never be ashamed of your choice in camera. Also in the way that its not what camera you use but what you create with it.
Like I said, it was late, and I didn't read the post in the intended way. Simple mistake.. At least for me.
Also, thanks. I agree it's not the tool you pick but what you make with it that matters. However, seeing as I took the post the wrong way, I thought it was saying
"Your work speaks for itself" as in "Your work sucks, so why would your camera's color even matter?" and I took "You have no need to worry about people's opinions about your camera" as in: "You really shouldn't care what people think about your gear" which I do, and that is my opinion. It really doesn't make much sense for me to explain it now, as sleepy logic doesn't apply to the real world.
I'm sorry, it was an honest brain fart.
08-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Like I said, it was late, and I didn't read the post in the intended way. Simple mistake.. At least for me.
Also, thanks. I agree it's not the tool you pick but what you make with it that matters. However, seeing as I took the post the wrong way, I thought it was saying
"Your work speaks for itself" as in "Your work sucks, so why would your camera's color even matter?" and I took "You have no need to worry about people's opinions about your camera" as in: "You really shouldn't care what people think about your gear" which I do, and that is my opinion. It really doesn't make much sense for me to explain it now, as sleepy logic doesn't apply to the real world.
I'm sorry, it was an honest brain fart.
I know what you mean. It really doesn't matter really matter at this point since we are on the same page now

That being said, if I had a choice with my K7 I'd pick silver or black. Never a different color. But for some reason a white Kx or Orange Kx strikes me as a fun take around camera when I am not needing the image of a professional.
08-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot weddings with Pentax and I have never had a client say anything about it. Sure I have had some pro Canikon idiots say something, but in the end the pictures out of their over priced cameras and lenses don't look any better than mine. The same thing would happen if all of Pentax's models were colored. As long as the pictures still look great and my clients are happy then I am happy... and a purple camera (or at least a purple grip) would make me jubilant!