Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #46
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
well, OGL, if this Kr is the k200 reincarnated and highly improved, i'm lining up for one. my wife has the k200 and she loves it.

i like my kx but wish for some of the features in the k200.
The rumored AA batteries with option for Lithium is another great feature if it's true.
old Optio MX4 had CR-V3 and LiOn option.

08-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #47

I hope that Pentax is finally going for the Lion option instead for the AA option.
And a AA option for the grip maybe for the people who want's to use their AA batteries.
08-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
it tells us movie function lovers that the next lower-model pentax will not have an external mic socket, like the D3100. And that we're still better off with a 550D
08-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I don't see how. Please do explain (this is serious question, not trying to argue). Maybe I didn't get something.
I'm not sure I understand what you didn't get But... The D3100 has better specs:
14MP vs 12MP, 1080p vs 720p, 3" LCD. I agree these things are rather superficial from a photographer point of view but on the market, I don't think anybody would buy a Pentax 12MP over a Nikon 14MP. MP still sells and I'm pretty sure it plays a big part of the T2i success. I have an old friend buying a DSLR for the first time and I couldn't convince him that 18MP was an overrated spec.

08-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #50
Site Supporter

for a lot of beginners, specs is almost everything.

marketing the specs sells, even if the camera doesn't perform as well.
that's the sad truth.
08-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
for a lot of beginners, specs is almost everything.

marketing the specs sells, even if the camera doesn't perform as well.
that's the sad truth.
You're very right. We had a retired professional photographer speak to our camera club at the last meeting. He was showing experimental work that he had done with his view cameras. (He only got into this area because his APS-C cameras had replaced his view cameras and he had a ton of film left in his fridge.) At one point, he talked about why he switched from using Nikon for the last quarter century....and moved over to Canon. (FYI, it was because of the video capabilities.) This guy knew that Nikon offered a camera that was similar to his Canon, but he couldn't remember the model number or the exact specs. All he knew was that it wasn't quite up to the Canon's level. A member of our club, who hasn't submitted a pic for competition in close to a decade, chimed in with the model number of the Nikon, the model number of the equivalent Canon, and all the specs of both cameras. I had to laugh at the disparity between the two people. One guy had made his living in photography for the last 25 years, but was, by his own admission, not a technical guy. The other person hasn't accomplished squat in photography, but knew all the specs of the current cameras. I couldn't help but think, "Hmmm...somebody needs to put down the magazines and go out and shoot more."
08-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #52
Pentaxian

I just went through the specs sheet of the D3100 and after eliminating all the useless features I noticed this new camera doesn't have bracket shooting! which the D5000, a camera that this new one should replace, does have. what gives?
Hopefully Pentax doesn't follow that rout of crippling it's cameras. actually I'm sure they won't because luckily their not in a position in the market that they would survive should they try a similar move.
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #53
Banned

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqSa5Sp0UY[/YT]

Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Electronics

Last edited by jogiba; 08-20-2010 at 12:08 PM.
08-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
I hope that Pentax is finally going for the Lion option instead for the AA option.
And a AA option for the grip maybe for the people who want's to use their AA batteries.
Likely no grip, but rumour has it that it will support both AA's and a proprietary LiON.
08-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Hopefully Pentax doesn't follow that rout of crippling it's cameras. actually I'm sure they won't because luckily their not in a position in the market that they would survive should they try a similar move.
Pentax has already started doing this (and all other manufactures do it too).

Pentax removed top-LCD, focus indicators in VF, reduced focus points to 5, and removed optical DOF preview on K-m compared to K100D it replaced. Some of these things are improved on K-x, but in some ways K-x is still "crippled" compared to K100D.

But it is Nikon and Sony that has most "crippled" entry level cameras.
Introducing new limitation in hardware I can understand as it can make the cameras cheaper to produce, but removing already existing features from software I do not understand the reason behind.
08-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Pentax can't afford to cripple their cameras any further

since they only have 2 DSLR's.

the Kx added back some features that were left out on the Km like the orientation sensor. it still left out eh AF points but that was more because of the body that they had to reuse (km).

as for the top LCD, that saves $$. nikon's d3000 and if i'm not mistaken, D5000 don't have it either and the worst is that nikon took out the in-body AF motor.

Nikon has already started advertising the d3100.

For pentax's marketing department, i hope they're working overtime!!!
08-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I just went through the specs sheet of the D3100 and after eliminating all the useless features I noticed this new camera doesn't have bracket shooting! which the D5000, a camera that this new one should replace, does have.
to replace D5000 it'd be named D5100... it replaced D3000 (D40x -> D60 -> D3000 -> D3100 as Thom Hogan writes and he knows about Nikon more than the rest of this forum's populace)
08-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
to replace D5000 it'd be named D5100... it replaced D3000 (D40x -> D60 -> D3000 -> D3100 as Thom Hogan writes and he knows about Nikon more than the rest of this forum's populace)
I'm not sure there will be a D5000. The D5000 was much different from the D3000 but here I cannot see what they could add to the D3100 without cannibalizing sales of the rumored D95.

BTW, according Thom Hogan, the D3100 sensor is not from Sony but made by Nikon... It will be interesting to see what kind of performance it has.
08-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
BTW, according Thom Hogan, the D3100 sensor is not from Sony but made by Nikon... It will be interesting to see what kind of performance it has.
it is worth to quote him about this

QuoteQuote:
Update: I've now heard even more details about the D3100 sensor and from a few sources closer to Nikon Japan. It does indeed appear that Nikon has moved to producing their own sensors. They may be licensing or cooperating on some of the underlying technologies, but it appears that Nikon has decided that Nikon DSLRs will in the future have Nikon-controlled and Nikon-exclusive sensors. That they haven't chosen to make a bigger deal of this is strange. And some parts of Nikon appear not to have gotten the memo on this, as I've seen quotes from Nikon personnel in some subsidiaries that say "Sony sensor."
08-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'm not sure there will be a D5000.
you mean D5100 ? why not... that is why marketing departments exists... take 3100, put there D95 sensor (16mp ?), add braketing, add 1 more fps (hopefully sensor will allow) and bigger buffer and that's it... D95 still will be in place w/ better AF and so on.

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 08-20-2010 at 04:46 PM.