Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BCNranking: K-x slightly up in Japan market share again

from 4.4% in June to 4.9% in July - but it drops in rank from #9 to #10:?????7?????????????EOS Kiss X4??1??????NEX??????

The total share of these 10 top-ranked cameras is now 80.5%

Anyway, the fact that K-x still is a major player in the Japanese consumer market bodes well for whatever Pentax may introduce at Photokina

08-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
from 4.4% in June to 4.9% in July - but it drops in rank from #9 to #10:?????7?????????????EOS Kiss X4??1??????NEX??????
Also known as the canon 550D
08-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The mirrorless(NEX) camera sells like hot cakes,hoya needs to release new camera as soon as possible,otherwise the sales prospection of this year is no optimistical.With the coming of NEX,the compact advantage of pentax DSLR/lens would be weakened,so a new increase point have to be found to stimulate pentaxians for Hoya.
08-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Inactive Account

It's going to take a FF to get me stimulated

08-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by weikle Quote
The mirrorless(NEX) camera sells like hot cakes,hoya needs to release new camera as soon as possible,otherwise the sales prospection of this year is no optimistical.With the coming of NEX,the compact advantage of pentax DSLR/lens would be weakened,so a new increase point have to be found to stimulate pentaxians for Hoya.
I was in the camera area of my local Costco, and they had a continuously looped video running of one of the mirrorless cameras, not sure if it was Pan or Oly. looked pretty good and they are of course featured in some of the magazines. the next best thing
08-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I went into Fujiya Camera in Tokyo.
It sells new and used cameras and lenses.
Was amazed to see the amount of used NEX cameras that people had traded in.

Sure seems a good seller, but also people are dumping them pretty quickly....well, going by one store, anyway.
08-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The NEX cameras do not make any sense to me. Tiny camera with the same size lenses as I put on my K20. I guess you could stick a DA 40 or another pancake on it, but it seems a lot more limited than other "pocketable cameras."
08-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote

Sure seems a good seller, but also people are dumping them pretty quickly....well, going by one store, anyway.
Fujiya is one of the very best stores that sell second hand cameras in Tokyo. Many of the more recent cameras end up there, because they sell premium conditon second hand. Other secondhand stores don't have nearly as many as Fujiya (well, MapCamera has quite a few).

08-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In the same article, it stated that mirrorless market share was 18.8% in May, 32.5% in June and 33.6% in July.

And Sony has gone from 6.1% market share in 6th place, to 19.4% in June and 17.4% in July for a solid #3 position. Year over year, DSLR sales in volume has gone up by 56.8% in June and 44.3% in July.
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

And how many K-x's are being sold. In numbers what's the total market en the 4.9 percent of it?
08-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And how many K-x's are being sold. In numbers what's the total market en the 4.9 percent of it?
I don't think they would give away such detailed statistics. They sell these type of data for thousands of dollars.

They used to list out weekly market share for each camera model. But they obviously felt that they are giving too much away for free, so they now only display the ranking order; and only include the top 10 market share in their monthly report.
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote

I've noticed that with the Panasonic and Olympus models, too. Fair bit of cash to simply try something out for a couple of weeks!

[edit: added following]

QuoteOriginally posted by dnas Quote
Fujiya is one of the very best stores that sell second hand cameras in Tokyo. Many of the more recent cameras end up there, because they sell premium conditon second hand. Other secondhand stores don't have nearly as many as Fujiya (well, MapCamera has quite a few).
Map Camera sold me a lemon MX body when I was first here on a short-term assignment before I moved to Tokyo. The thing had so many problems I eventually threw it out! 8(

Conversely, "Lemon Camera" in Ginza has quite a lot of used stuff and what I've bought there has been good. Lots to look at, too.

I bought my *istDS and 21mm ltd at Fujiya and agree that it's a fine place for both new and used cameras. It's where I take people when they want to buy anything in this city. Their secondary shops (for equipment and accessories) are good, too.

Last edited by uccemebug; 08-17-2010 at 02:50 PM.
09-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Still going strong in August

?????????????????????????????2010?8?

back at 4.4% again, but up at rank #7 - it sold more than D3000, NEX-3 and GF1! Not bad just before the K-r enters the scene.
09-13-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The mirrorless(NEX) camera sells like hot cakes,hoya needs to release new camera as soon as possible,otherwise the sales prospection of this year is no optimistical.
I agree. it's interesting that Evils are really popular in Japan, and Pentax seems to be doing in Japan better that anywhere else. I guess the combination shows what they should do.
09-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
I agree. it's interesting that Evils are really popular in Japan, and Pentax seems to be doing in Japan better that anywhere else. I guess the combination shows what they should do.
Notice, though, that the K-x was sold more than each of two previously very popular mirrorless models (NEX-3 and GF1) in August! NEX-5 and E-PL1 are still strong, though.