Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #46
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I've heard, there should be 4 models by Xmas, 2 at Photokina, 2 later on... how accurate this is, I don't know, wouldn't hold my breath on it, but the guy I spoke to has contacts direct with Pentax UK. I wish he was right

08-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
From what I've heard, there should be 4 models by Xmas, 2 at Photokina, 2 later on... how accurate this is, I don't know, wouldn't hold my breath on it, but the guy I spoke to has contacts direct with Pentax UK. I wish he was right
Wow, it would be quite a change indeed, we know that Pentax intend to release another 645 so that can count as one or 2 (if they count the worldiwide release of the 645D) that would mean 3 new APSC DSLRs...
08-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Zeiss believes that video on DSLRs is here to stay.
zeiss lenses.
If anything the Vid-cam makers will have to step-up their offerings to compete.

Apologies to RP and Blue for my confusion.
08-19-2010, 03:54 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
zeiss lenses.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that. I'm not sure I'll be springing for 4 grand for a video prime lens anytime soon, though. I agree that video camera manufacturers are going to have to step up their game.

08-19-2010, 04:03 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is much like buying a car: you choose the one that you want/need but you also have to take whatever comes in "the package". You want electric seats? Well, that will come with a sunroof, fog lamps, Bluetooth, and all of those things that you are not willing to pay for, but then you pay for them at the end of the day.
Same goes with cameras: you want better AF and better ISO handling: that will come with video; you can't have either - you'll get both whether you like it or not.

JP
I guess that this is true; however, I would argue that over all, you get more for less these days (video aside) than ever before. The K7 currently is about 800-ish dollars in the US and would shoot circles around most cameras from even two years ago. I expect the sequel to it to be better in many respects. I view video as more a side effect of having faster frame rates than as being a costly item that adds to the cost of the over all package.

The sensor does what the sensor does. You can't make the K10 take video, even if you wanted to, the K20 was almost there as far as frame rate, but still couldn't quite do video. Just tape over the video mode on the dial and forget that it exists and enjoy shooting. Upgrade when the image quality of the new camera encourages you to or, there are other features that you "need" to have, but not before and you will be satisfied.
08-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #51
Forum Member

Hmmm, is the K-5 introduced at Photokina or not? Seems like an increasing number of people are having doubts about that one. I sure hope it will be introduced at Photokina, two new DSLR's is nice for a show of this caliber. If it would only be the K-r and 645D I'd be dissapointed...
08-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I view video as more a side effect of having faster frame rates than as being a costly item that adds to the cost of the over all package.
Exactly! Think of video as a 30fps motor drive...then use it or don't use it. It's just part of the package.
08-19-2010, 10:09 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Pentax,go,go...Nikon just released 1 DLSR+4 lenses!

08-19-2010, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Exactly! Think of video as a 30fps motor drive...then use it or don't use it. It's just part of the package.
Sensor heat is a function of how long a sensor stays active. To work around the issues heat build up causes, the sensors have to have some type of heat sync to move the heat away from the sensor. This really isn't important for Canon or Nikon because a little more robust heat sink is just a little more space and weight for their bodies. With in camera stabilization that extra weight reduces the effectiveness of the stabilization. Neither the K-x nor the K-7 boosted an increase in SR performance, the first bodies with SR not to do so. That's a pretty high cost, in my opinion, for a feature you are willing to tell people simply to ignore.

Thank you
Russell
08-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by weikle Quote
yeah , I'm more and more interested in this mysterious K-5. Hope the rumored specs of the new Sony sensor will be true and if yes, I'll be not tempted with FF for at least another 3-4 years.
08-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
That's a pretty high cost, in my opinion, for a feature you are willing to tell people simply to ignore.
We all have to ignore certain things. I would have been perfectly happy with a digital version of the MX that wouldn't go over ASA 100....but that's not the type of camera that the market dictated, so I have to ignore a LOT of other features that I never use. Video is the thing these days. Like I said....ready or not, here it comes.
08-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #57
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
zeiss lenses.

Apologies to RP and Blue for my confusion.
I think it is to Pentax and Nikon's advantage to press hard on DSLR video. Canon, Sony, and Panasonic are restricted in how fast they can innovate and reluctant to improve video features due to their video camera product lines.

Articulating LCDs, Continuous AF during video, dual card writers or even an SSD body grip, there is lots of room to run with video.
08-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Ah, speculation

QuoteOriginally posted by weikle Quote
Well, this was worth a read (over at our friends at DPR) - it looks like Nikon has done a Canon and placed a lot of their d5000/d90 tricks into their base model. I sure hope that whatever comes next in Pentax land can at least better the 1/200 synch that the *base* model Nikon can do.

Honestly! Can I add that to the list, OP?

Interestingly, no mirrorless release from Nikon (at least not yet).
08-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #59

can i just say one thing,why put all these things in a dslr,when the main thing is taking still pictures,if ppl want to take moving pics then they should buy a camcorder,and pentax and other dslr makers should not put these into still taking cameras,it defise the point,thats what i think,(sorry)
08-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Wow, it would be quite a change indeed, we know that Pentax intend to release another 645 so that can count as one or 2 (if they count the worldiwide release of the 645D) that would mean 3 new APSC DSLRs...
Or one W series, one ultra compact, one ultra zoom for P&S OPTIO's and another APS-C for DSLR's, to be more realistic.