Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That's what I was afraid of.
Upgrading will now and forever mean that we will have to accept built-in video even if we won't ever use it.

JP
Well a lot among us do not use some Modes on mode dial but we have to pay for, don't we ?

08-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Obviously I am referring to the red overlay dots. As Aristophanes said, it is an obvious design flaw that Pentax was rightly roasted for.
But as the sales of K-x showed, it is not a deal breaker for most users.
08-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #18

I have a K-x and love it. What I think Pentax should introduce is a full frame digital version of the LX. This would boost the image of Pentax as a serious professional tool. I also wish that there would be a clear break between still and video cameras. They both have a unique skill set and the equipment should be dedicated to one or the other.
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
Forum Member

Am I completely off to pronosticate a "simple" update to the K-7, the way the K20 came out after the K10? Same camera, minor enhancements, new sensor.
Pentaxians will be happy enough not to jump ship, and that's all. If Oly doesn't come out with something unexpected, Pentax is the only non-CaNikon to offer a semi-pro camera. Too small a market, also Sony doesn't seem to get on with the a700 evolution.

For the pumped up K-x I don't know. Yea, leds in the VF, what else, the sensor is still very competitive. But the market goes to the mirrorless side pretty quickly. Other than a quicker contrast detect focus ('cause sure they are working on it!), perhaps some maketing bells and whistles to keep the momentum.

In some years, there will be only higher-end DSLRs and mirrorless stuff. For those of you that don't bear EVF's, remember the rangefinder destiny.
Let them solve the glitch of the shutter, and it's done: this means no black-out in the EVF, no delay and, instantly, producing mirrorboxes will become obsolete (cause of the costs).

Well, enough speculation...

08-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
But as the sales of K-x showed, it is not a deal breaker for most users.
It's true that many who bought the K-x would not notice a lack of the red dots, but it did get noticed by reviewers, who marked the camera down for it. For that reason alone I am sure Pentax will replace the K-x with an upgraded model that does have this feature.

QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
Am I completely off to pronosticate a "simple" update to the K-7, the way the K20 came out after the K10? Same camera, minor enhancements, new sensor.
That is basically what my list indicates. The revolutionary change might be the move to 16:9, just like all laptops have moved to that aspect. It is certainly not an improvement, but it is mandated by the power of "entertainment" to sell cool gadgets.

Last edited by rparmar; 09-01-2010 at 12:16 PM.
08-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #21
Forum Member

That is basically what my list indicates. The revolutionary change might be the move to 16:9, just like all laptops have moved to that aspect. It is certainly not an improvement, but it is mandated by the power of "entertainment" to sell cool gadgets.
Interesting point of view. I agree on the "gadgetry" if not the usefulness for video stuff, but this is a strong point of conflict too: 16:9 is not a good photographic proportion.
And I doubt it would fit well on the back side of a DSLR.
What's the problem in seeing 16:9 in the "regular" LCD? To be physically 16:9 it wouldn't be larger but less tall...

Anyway, as you'll have seen, video-recorders with lenses compatible with cameras are coming; this way I can have a photographic tool and you can have a video tool and we can share lenses too!
08-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's what I think too. Historically Pentax is on a 3 years cycle for the big jumps:
- 2002/3 *ist D
- 2006 K10D
- 2009 K-7
- 2011/2012: ?

So the K-5 should be a refined K-7 with a new sensor (much needed anyway). That will disappoint those that are waiting for more dramatic improvements (AF...). But that should keep the top Pentax competitive for a while.

08-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
16:9 is not a good photographic proportion.
And I doubt it would fit well on the back side of a DSLR.
What's the problem in seeing 16:9 in the "regular" LCD?
Photos will be letter-boxed in the 16:9 so they lose nothing. The default will move to video proportions though... or that's my guess. This will fit on the back if the non-essential control buttons are underneath the screen: Play, LV, Info, Menu. In some ways I would prefer that.

The Optio L-10 points the way.
08-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That's what I think too. Historically Pentax is on a 3 years cycle for the big jumps:
- 2002/3 *ist D
- 2006 K10D
- 2009 K-7

So the K-5 should be a refined K-7 with a new sensor (much needed anyway). That will disappoint those that are waiting for more dramatic improvements (AF...). But that should keep the top Pentax competitive for a while.
2002-6 is before Hoya; however, I also am not expecting so dramatic this fall, but I'm sure I'll be very, very tempted to upgrade!
08-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #25

Hi guys,

Sonyalpharumors predicts that the new Alpha 55 will be a monster: sonyalpharumors | Home .

As anybody can imagine, the 16+ Mpix sensor may be used in the next Pentax K5, but what about the statement referring to Alpha 55 High ISO: "ISO100-25600, ISO6400′s noise just like a900′s ISO400"?

If that's true, than the K5 may be a stop better at ISO 6400 than the almighty Nikon D3s
08-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #26
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by seliscan Quote
Hi guys,

Sonyalpharumors predicts that the new Alpha 55 will be a monster: sonyalpharumors | Home .

As anybody can imagine, the 16+ Mpix sensor may be used in the next Pentax K5, but what about the statement referring to Alpha 55 High ISO: "ISO100-25600, ISO6400′s noise just like a900′s ISO400"?

If that's true, than the K5 may be a stop better at ISO 6400 than the almighty Nikon D3s
The main question is IQ of camera. Bigger, faster and more is not IQ.
Low noise at high ISO is good, if the picture is good-detailed and has good colour and contrast.

Smaller pixels = worse colours.

I don't want monster. I want beautiful camera with good design and outstanding IQ.
08-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #27
axl
Veteran Member

[*]1080p video
- I don't need a camcorder
[*]improved video SR (digital)
- digital SR, thanks but no
[*]improved still frame SR (digital)
- as above, I'd be happier if they would improve the existing mechanical SR
[*]LCD in 16:9 aspect ratio
- thanks but 3:2 is perfectly fine
[*]dual SD slots
- I'd take that
[*]Eye-Fi SD compatible
- given I'm stubborn taurus, not too big on electronics, what are we talking about here?!?
[*]slightly faster frame rate
- do you really need it? besides that would mean designing new shutter AFAIK, unless they wouldn't use dual mechanical/electronic shutter like the old Nikon D70 used to
[*]faster performance (image saving and responsiveness)
- K-x seems plenty fast to me, haven't tried K-7 so won't comment
[*]improved LiveView responsiveness
- for those who need it, fair enough, but I'll pass
[*]better noise performance at high ISO (by just less than one stop)
- this is only necessary to be able to compete with CaNiknos not for the real photography
[*]improved AF with adjustable custom setting (fast priority versus accurate)
- what's the point? I'd always pick accurate anyway. I'd rather take double cross center sensor for lenses faster than f2.8
[*]face, smile and blink detection (works on your pets too!)
- oh please, it's enough it's on P&S. Don't push it on DSLR
[*]slightly smaller and lighter form factor
- no thanks!!! K-7 is small as it is, any smaller and it'll loose ergonomics. I find K-x nearly uncomfortable. Would pick K10/20 size body any time
my 2p...
08-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #28
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The two are merging. Ready or not, here it comes.
Unfortunately this seems the trend.
I'd be really happy if there were two categories in DSLR market:
Video enabled with all modes, scenes, blink/smile/crap detection
and than normal, still picture camera at least on semi pro level
08-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #29

Digital stabilization for video is very important - as oposed for still images. Perhaps I would shoot video too if my camera had this option!
The most important of the above IMO for a new model is the custom AF adjustment, where you can select a slower focus speed to benefit on accuracy.

For me it is important too that Pentax continues emphasising on color depth and quality (this is the main reason I chose that brand) and uses quality sensors like the one in k-x. Moreover I would expext to see one or two new wide angle f/1.4 lenses.
08-18-2010, 01:39 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
- 2002/3 *ist D
- 2006 K10D
- 2009 K-7

I would definetly say K-x, not K-7, for 2009.