Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
....but that's not the type of camera that the market dictated,
We are the market. If we make educated decisions in buying, vendors will follow our dictates. There are other vendors for people that don't want to think.

Thank you
Russell

08-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
We are the market. If we make educated decisions in buying, vendors will follow our dictates. There are other vendors for people that don't want to think.

Thank you
Russell
And exactly what vendors would those "thinking consumers" use if they want to fight the trend toward video on DSLRs? Leica? Should they switch back to film?
08-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #63
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't understand the antagonism to video. There is a sense in which Sony missed the train when they didn't include video in their SLRs. Clearly it does not detract from taking decent photos and doesn't detract from good high iso, depending on the sensor. People don't look at photos when they buy a camera, they look at specs. How many FPS? How many megapixels? Does it have iso 25600 (even if it looks like crap)? Pentax can't afford to fall too far behind in these things, just to please "the faithful."
agreed.most of people choosed the cameras according to the specs and function,the higher of the specs the better,the more numerous function the better even they would not ever use it in future until they upgraded another camera.
08-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #64
Veteran Member

And exactly what vendors would those "thinking consumers" use if they want to fight the trend toward video on DSLRs? Leica? Should they switch back to film?
I suppose it is unthinkable not to buy the latest and greatest.

Thank you
Russell

08-20-2010, 05:14 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Bob Quote
I have a K-x and love it. What I think Pentax should introduce is a full frame digital version of the LX. This would boost the image of Pentax as a serious professional tool. I also wish that there would be a clear break between still and video cameras. They both have a unique skill set and the equipment should be dedicated to one or the other.
Just out of curiousity why does Pentax need the "image as a serious professional tool." As as side note, what would people consider the 645D to be, an enthusiast camera? I log on to this forum every couple of days and I see stuff like this all the time. If you are a "professional" (and that seems to have a rather amorphous definition- is a person who supplements their income taking wedding photos a professional?), just get the camera system that works for you. If you aren't what difference does it make? You can just use whatever camera/lenses you like because your income isn't dependent on it. Does the camera's image matter or is it more important that you enjoy using it? Or does your enjoyment of the camera depend on it's "image?"

Reading this forum, I really wonder why a lot of people here bought Pentax cameras in the first place. Pentax isn't Nikon or Canon. They make very good photographic equipment, but they really aren't geared towards sports photography for example. To me the 645D or the DA Limiteds' are great examples of the what Pentax is; a rather niche oriented company. If you understand what you are getting with Pentax you will really enjoy their equipment. If not, I would buy a Nikon or Canon. Both companies produce equipment that provide the user with wider applications. I guess it would be great if Pentax did that, but I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.

I guess what I think is Pentax really isn't a camera company geared towards camera gear enthusiasts. If what you really like is camera gear, I would definitely buy a Canon or Nikon. In some ways Pentax is more like Leica (definitely not in quality engineering), they offer a set of products that's geared towards taking photos in a certain way (for example fewer zooms). However, it's not a company for people who obsess over camera specifications, at least for now.
08-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crap detection!!!???

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Unfortunately this seems the trend.
I'd be really happy if there were two categories in DSLR market:
Video enabled with all modes, scenes, blink/smile/crap detection
and than normal, still picture camera at least on semi pro level
Axl, I can just see it now. The camera automatically focuses on dog poops, "dollar stores" McDonalds, Walmarts, Yugos and all forms of kitsch. What a concept! I want one!!!!!!!

NaCl(we need bling detection too!)H2O
08-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #67
Pentaxian

I suppose it is unthinkable not to buy the latest and greatest.

Thank you
Russell

lol You're talking to the wrong person about that and I'll be happy to compare purchases anytime you like. I haven't been an 'early adopter' in about 30 years. And even that instance was a one time thing. I'm not saying I'll rush out and buy a Pentax DSLR that has improved video. This thread is about new camera predictions and I'm just saying that the market is trending towards improved video capabilities so I expect Pentax to follow suit. In my experience...with the people I know who have made upgrades to their DSLRs...video has been a difference maker. Guys who were perfectly happy with the output of their DSLRs went out and bought new cameras because they wanted to investigate how well DSLRs do video. Pentax needs those kinds of people who are willing to try something new. It's the only way they'll be able to steal buyers from Canikon.

08-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Axl, I can just see it now. The camera automatically focuses on dog poops, "dollar stores" McDonalds, Walmarts, Yugos and all forms of kitsch. What a concept! I want one!!!!!!!

NaCl(we need bling detection too!)H2O
I want rusty old wheels and decaying paint detection, including auto post-processing.
08-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #69
Veteran Member

lol It's the only way they'll be able to steal buyers from Canikon.
As opposed to that old idea of having a better product? Fads come and go, color DSLRs, video DSLRs, DLSR with little dolls on the lens, next campaign, would you like fries with that?

Thank you
Russell
08-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #70
Pentaxian

As opposed to that old idea of having a better product?

Define: "better product"
08-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #71
Banned

The big question is will Pentax have a new entry-level HDSLR like the new Nikon D3100 with 1080p and AF in HD video mode ?
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqSa5Sp0UY[/YT]

QuoteQuote:
The D3100 kit will include an AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR image stabilization lens when made available in September, for a manufacturer's estimated retail of US$699.95
Nikon goes full HD with the D3100 digital SLR
08-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Define: "better product"
It usually means superior at a given task, not compromised performance for a variety of tasks. Can we not have a camera optimized for still photography, and one optimized for video? Why not abandon the entry level, higher level production model Pentax has used and simply go after the enthusiast market of videographers and photographers? Add a mirrorless camera with both video and still for the entry level and call it done.

Thank you
Russell
08-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Can we not have a camera optimized for still photography, and one optimized for video?
I'd vote in favor of that, but I don't think the camera manufacturers are listening to us. They're building a little bit of something for everyone into their products.
08-20-2010, 10:31 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The big question is will Pentax have a new entry-level HDSLR like the new Nikon D3100 with 1080p and AF in HD video mode ?
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqSa5Sp0UY[/YT]

Nikon goes full HD with the D3100 digital SLR
So the Nikon 3100 comes with a film crew?
08-20-2010, 10:38 AM   #75

both Pentax new cameras would have AF in Video, K-5 also have manual settings in Video mode