Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
new camera predictions

Here is what I expect in the next two bodies, set to replace K-7 and K-x. These cameras will be evolutionary, not revolutionary, but will continue to push the envelope for Pentax.
  • 1080p video
  • improved video SR (digital)
  • improved still frame SR (digital)
  • LCD in 16:9 aspect ratio
  • dual SD slots
  • Eye-Fi SD compatible
  • slightly faster frame rate
  • faster performance (image saving and responsiveness)
  • improved LiveView responsiveness
  • better noise performance at high ISO (by just less than one stop)
  • improved AF with adjustable custom setting (fast priority versus accurate)
  • face, smile and blink detection (works on your pets too!)
  • slightly smaller and lighter form factor

As now, the differentiating factors will be weather-sealing, size and such "pro" features as microphone input, the dual slots and performance. Five of these items are already available on point'n'shoot models, so it would be lame if they were not present in the SLR range. The big change will be the shift to 16:9 aspect on the rear panel.

The features I most want to see are ergonomic. Based on past history I do not expect them.
  • customisable menu option (like Canon's "My Menu")
  • programmable soft button
  • User mode that stores more settings than currently

No full-frame (of course). And no EVIL (but maybe vague comments about future interest).

P.S. These predictions have no grounding in fact, but I always wanted to post here in this forum.

08-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
And two more things:
  • HDMI output
  • focus confirmation in viewfinder
08-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Here is what I expect in the next two bodies, set to replace K-7 and K-x. These cameras will be evolutionary, not revolutionary, but will continue to push the envelope for Pentax.
  • 1080p video
  • improved video SR (digital)
  • improved still frame SR (digital)
  • LCD in 16:9 aspect ratio
  • dual SD slots
  • Eye-Fi SD compatible
  • slightly faster frame rate
  • faster performance (image saving and responsiveness)
  • improved LiveView responsiveness
  • better noise performance at high ISO (by just less than one stop)
  • improved AF with adjustable custom setting (fast priority versus accurate)
  • face, smile and blink detection (works on your pets too!)
  • slightly smaller and lighter form factor

As now, the differentiating factors will be weather-sealing, size and such "pro" features as microphone input, the dual slots and performance. Five of these items are already available on point'n'shoot models, so it would be lame if they were not present in the SLR range. The big change will be the shift to 16:9 aspect on the rear panel.

The features I most want to see are ergonomic. Based on past history I do not expect them.
  • customisable menu option (like Canon's "My Menu")
  • programmable soft button
  • User mode that stores more settings than currently

No full-frame (of course). And no EVIL (but maybe vague comments about future interest).

P.S. These predictions have no grounding in fact, but I always wanted to post here in this forum.
Seems like you need a video-DSLR.
JP
08-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
JP
+100

1080p video
improved video SR (digital)
improved still frame SR (digital)
LCD in 16:9 aspect ratio
dual SD slots
Eye-Fi SD compatible
slightly faster frame rate
faster performance (image saving and responsiveness)
improved LiveView responsiveness
better noise performance at high ISO (by just less than one stop)
improved AF with adjustable custom setting (fast priority versus accurate)
face, smile and blink detection (works on your pets too!)
slightly smaller and lighter form factor

marketing trash for DSLR IMO

08-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter

JP
He won a K-x.
08-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
He won a K-x.
I think SHE sold it though. Color must have clashed with her eyes.

Just a 'lil joke...no offense intended R. Two stereotypes don't make a right I know.
08-17-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
First, the big list is not what I want but what I expect. Pentax is competing in a marketplace and that marketplace demands video. However I don't think any of us would turn our noses up at a faster, more accurate camera with less noise.

Second, I won a K-x but am still waiting for it to be delivered to me. (Yes, I am the world's most patient person.) This matter is not worth discussing further.

Third, I was going to sell it but only to fund a K-7. Now I doubt I will be able to afford that and so will keep it and get rid of my older backup instead.

Fourth, I am male. And taken. And Aquarius in case you are an idiot and that matters to you.

Fifth, the K-x will be black and so will go nicely with not only my eyes but most of my wardrobe.

08-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

All Pentax DSLR's have focus confirmation in viewfinder, so it is only logical that coming Pentax DSLR's continues this tradition. Yes, even the K-m and the K-x has focus confirmation - it is a green hexagon that lits up when focus is achieved.
08-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The two are merging. Ready or not, here it comes.
08-17-2010, 06:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
All Pentax DSLR's have focus confirmation in viewfinder, so it is only logical that coming Pentax DSLR's continues this tradition. Yes, even the K-m and the K-x has focus confirmation - it is a green hexagon that lits up when focus is achieved.
But it doesn't tell you where focus is on the K-x. The paradox with multiple focus points is that camera can focus on different zones in the frame which is desirable, but without AF points illuminated, it makes a silent decision for you. The feedback loop is missing. That's a design flaw, especially for rapid shooting.
08-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But it doesn't tell you where focus is on the K-x. The paradox with multiple focus points is that camera can focus on different zones in the frame which is desirable, but without AF points illuminated, it makes a silent decision for you. The feedback loop is missing. That's a design flaw, especially for rapid shooting.
I use both the K-x and K-7 and that doesn't bother me much. Most of the time I select my points and overlay or not I know where I want my focus. In rapid shooting situations, anyway you let the system choose the focus for you, so overlay or not it doesn't make a difference. In these situations I like the 5-points option of the K-x, it's unfortunately not available on the K-7. In conclusion I would prefer to have the overlay but it's not a big deal. The points are also confusing as they don't represent the real shape of the sensors.
08-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Obviously I am referring to the red overlay dots. As Aristophanes said, it is an obvious design flaw that Pentax was rightly roasted for.

(Also, I realise the K-7 has HDMI but I expect this on the lower-end models as well.)
08-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #13

first and foremost i'd expect a faster AF system. the current SAFOX is not up to the current standards, but the AF confirmation is pretty accurate.
08-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The two are merging. Ready or not, here it comes.
That's what I was afraid of.
Upgrading will now and forever mean that we will have to accept built-in video even if we won't ever use it.

JP
08-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

That's what I was afraid of.
Upgrading will now and forever mean that we will have to accept built-in video even if we won't ever use it.

JP
True, but it's just the latest in a long line of features that some folks never use. As for me, I never use any of the automatic exposure settings on my K10, nor any of the digital filters, nor the built-in flash, nor the auto white balance, nor about 7/8 of the other settings available on it. I could even do away with auto-focus and be perfectly happy.