Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What would you like to see in the K5 sequel?

I think we've pretty much flogged the K5 specs to death. Truthfully, other than having better video and a different (16 megapixel?) sensor, I don't know much about it, but I was wondering, what would you like to see in the camera that follows it? This can be true speculation, since we don't even really know what the K5 holds!

(Holding my breath on how many posts it will take to get to full frame).

08-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think we've pretty much flogged the K5 specs to death. Truthfully, other than having better video and a different (16 megapixel?) sensor, I don't know much about it, but I was wondering, what would you like to see in the camera that follows it? This can be true speculation, since we don't even really know what the K5 holds!

Full frame.
08-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Fast as Nikon dslr AF lock.
Better high Iso performance
Same low iso IQ as K20D and K200D
more AF points
08-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Pentax still needs to improve the AF speed in situation of low light,at the same time,add the number of AF points,most of people prefer more AF points such as nikon 51 points AF system.It's necessary to apply it in the high-end models

08-20-2010, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

cup holders
snooze button
a roundtuit
limited slip deferential
5.1 dolby
feather action trigger
machine washable
a slightly hoppy flavor, but not too floral or perfumey
self cleaning
with retsin.

Jason
08-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I really think the new Sony 16MP ExmorHD is going to be a big step forward, and probably be the first APS-C to finally out perform the Canon 5D. That would be a 2 stop improvement over the K-7.

I would like to see:

Significantly better AF in low light. Under red stage lights the K-7 AF really seems to struggle.

Better SR. I still feel that the Olympus SR is the best.
Better VF. Bigger and brighter with the ability to project information into the VF.

1. 16MP ExmorHD sensor
2. Better AF
3. Better SR
4. Better VF
5. Even quieter shutter

All of that in a K-7 body.
08-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #7

One thing I haven't seen many people discuss is built-in HDR improvements. I'd love the next Pentax bodies to have a 5 shot exposure capture instead of just 3. While some see this as a gimmick feature, it is invaluable to my business. I shoot mostly luxury homes for sale and the built-in HDR has been a god send. I don't have to lug around tons of lighting equipment like I used to. I only use the HDR for interiors, exteriors are usually just gross HDR, interiors is where it shines. But still the 3 shot that the k7 and k-x produce is sometimes not enough. Please Pentax give me a 5 shot HDR.

08-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moosefactory Quote
One thing I haven't seen many people discuss is built-in HDR improvements. I'd love the next Pentax bodies to have a 5 shot exposure capture instead of just 3. While some see this as a gimmick feature, it is invaluable to my business. I shoot mostly luxury homes for sale and the built-in HDR has been a god send. I don't have to lug around tons of lighting equipment like I used to. I only use the HDR for interiors, exteriors are usually just gross HDR, interiors is where it shines. But still the 3 shot that the k7 and k-x produce is sometimes not enough. Please Pentax give me a 5 shot HDR.

I would think that a 5 shot HDR could be done with firmware.
08-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #9

Yeah I suggested a 5 shot HDR k7 firmware update on Ned Bunnell's blog... but you know how that goes.
08-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
cup holders
snooze button
a roundtuit
limited slip deferential
5.1 dolby
feather action trigger
machine washable
self cleaning
with retsin.

Jason
Where do I sign up?
08-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Option to disable dark frame subtraction (dfs) for long exposures. When I tried doing some star trail photography with my K-x, that was one annoying time waster.
08-21-2010, 03:17 AM   #12
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I really think the new Sony 16MP ExmorHD is going to be a big step forward, and probably be the first APS-C to finally out perform the Canon 5D. That would be a 2 stop improvement over the K-7.
I agree, but I would like a 2 stop improvement over the Kx, the Kx is already a two stop improvement over the K-7 :- )

wll
08-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
cup holders
snooze button
a roundtuit
limited slip deferential
5.1 dolby
feather action trigger
machine washable
self cleaning
with retsin.

Jason
Sweet.

How about "photo augmentation mode" in which normal Joes are turned into beautiful people through figure enhancement, hair replacement, etc?
08-21-2010, 03:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would like to see a camera body optimized for thinness over the other dimensions. I would like to see the camera body (landscape) grip minimized in size and the batteries moved to an integrated portrait grip.

I would like to see a single port for the remote shutter and USB. This would mean a long six segment 2.5mm plug for the USB use, with the top two segments working for the remote shutter. This will allow backward compatibility with all old 2.5mm remotes.

I would like to see a three e-dial body. Leave the current e-dials in their current places, and add a third e-dial to the lens mount to control aperture. The other two would control ISO and shutter speed. The e-dials should have a click button under them, like a wheel mouse. When clicked, the setting the e-dial controls should go into auto mode. Want Av mode, click the shutter speed and ISO e-dials. Want Tv mode, click the aperture and ISO e-dials. Want TAv mode, click the ISO e-dial. Want Green mode, click all the e-dials. Want Sv mode, click the shutter speed and aperture e-dials.

With this change, the mode dial becomes free to offer more USER modes and the different P modes without menu diving. With this change, the EV compensation would work as normal except that, instead of hitting the green button to zero the setting, you would click the front e-dial. The e-dial click could be used instead of hitting the OK button in the menu structure.

I would like to see the HDMI port moved to somewhere around the viewfinder. I would like to see an optional EVF attachment for use with this port in live view. Ok sounds silly, but for those times when a EVF offers advantages over an optical viewfinder, why not? Have the EVF operate as a right angle finder as well. Another optional accessory would be to provide a top live view screen for waist level shooting or for a remote view off the camera.

Since we've moved all the ports off the left side of the camera, put in a tripod mount so that a QR plate can be mounted. Since Kirk, RRS , and the others don't seem interested in making L-brackets for Pentax, being independent of them would be welcome.

Move the Quick Shift clutch from the lenses to the AF motor linkage in the camera. This would allow QS for all lenses. Add a function to the AF button so that you use it to cancel AF, but not cancel the in focus requirement for the shutter to fire. This will eliminate the need for MF buttons on the lenses to enable catch in focus for AF lenses.

Add an option for DR so that you can enable DR automatically after a lenses change. I want the camera to start up as fast as possible and don't want to wait for the DR routine, but I also don't want to have to menu dive after changing a lens to activate DR.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-22-2010 at 09:38 AM.
08-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Full frame.
Hahahahahahahaha. Well played.