Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with the idea of a separate screen. Personally I'm not that keen on swivelling screens for a number of reasons (including WR but also durability and the fact that there are always limitations anyway).

I'm a software developer and technically all the components to do a separate screen are there (except for the software that is). USB for the communications, an Android (growing fast, very cost effective and works well) and IPhone App for the screen. I think the resolution of the screen on latest phone devices is not much different to the typical camera screen. But the firmware in the camera needs the ability to communicate the screen for this to happen.

08-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For macro, connect HDMI to your choice of display. It would be really cool to have HD goggles that ran off batteries.

Cheers, Mike.
08-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The only time I think that I might find a tilt swivel screen useful would be awkward macro shots on a tripod. Even then I think a larger screen with good viewing angles is better.
Over the crowd, over the wall, foot level, any kind of odd angle shot, and less obvious shooting in some instances.....

I put the rotating LCD in the dear Pentax thread, as well as a user- tunable leveling indicator.
08-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #19

I've been shooting a Nikon E5400 with a tilt/swivel LCD since 2005 and use it every single day I am shooting. With the bad knees I have, I find very valuable for shooting from low angle and overhead. I can also shoot from about any angle I want, even around corners.

Given similar specs between any cameras and having a tilt/swivel LCD is the only difference, the camera with the tilt/swivel LCD will get my vote.

08-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keithz Quote
I've been shooting a Nikon E5400 with a tilt/swivel LCD since 2005 and use it every single day I am shooting. With the bad knees I have, I find very valuable for shooting from low angle and overhead. I can also shoot from about any angle I want, even around corners.

Given similar specs between any cameras and having a tilt/swivel LCD is the only difference, the camera with the tilt/swivel LCD will get my vote.
I do landscapes and architecture, along with product shots, and a Tilt/Swivel LCD would be a dream come true.

It would make my life a lot easier :- )

wll
08-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the tilting screen on my Olympus E30 all the time. Nice to have a waist level "viewfinder" again. Also helps with different angle shots. Screen can also be flipped over for protection in the bag. Can't imagine dslrs going much further into video and not having tilting lcd.

Video out to a hotshoe or tripod connected screen would also work. Pentax could even sell the screen. Wouldn't mind an add on evf viewfinder (like Olympus E-P1L/ P2) option either.

Tilting screen is one of the few features that would entice me to replace my K-7.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #32 in compact camera forum. Enter #33. Any brand camera. Enter now!
08-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Compactess and ruggedness speaks against any detachable screen. Increased viewing angle is what I want.

How is Samsungs new AMOLED technology in that aspect?

08-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Compactess and ruggedness speaks against any detachable screen. Increased viewing angle is what I want.

I don't like the idea of a moving screen, but AMOLED display would be really nice. I saw Samsung Wave cell phone with AMOLED and LCD side by side and the first one had clearly much better display.
08-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote

i don't know amoled, but the screen remains fixed; that means the maximum viewing angle for a clear view on composition or exact sharpness in case of manual focusing (with old Pentax gear) is limited

i guess amoled increases the viewing angle till 50 or 60 degrees? what about almost vertical angles?

the LX (semi-professional) had a detachable viewfinder so you could attach any viewfinder you wanted

why does Pentax with the K7 (or its cheaper brother) not supply such a feature? only something for 400 euros (way too much!!!)

i googled a bit yesterday and found similar threads some time ago; then the Zigview was recommended; anybody got experience with that?

i prefer a Pentax option, but otherwise....
08-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #25
Forum Member

An external screen is a nice idea, but the HDMI implementation of the K-7 isn't well suited for that: Resolution is very low and IIRC (have camera and screen here, but cable is elsewhere) is not available in Photo LiveView. It is in movie mode - and the camera switches aspect ratio to 16:9 for that mode, which is really annoying on a portable screen without format auto detection (because in video playback mode, it switches back to 4:3).

What would be really great would be some kind of bluetooth adaptor and an app for my iPhone with wireless LiveView, controls and shutter. This would also quite impress the press, I think.

EDIT: FYI, I have a Lilliput 7" HDMI screen with battery I planned to use as an external screen. Because of the above shortcomings of the K-7's HDMI output, I haven't used it at all after the first try.
08-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On Saturday I was photographing waterfalls at Opal Creek in the Cascades. More than once I needed to lean over a ledge more than was comfortable, even though I was able to set the tripod where I wanted it. A movable LCD would have been very useful.
08-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Guss Quote

why does Pentax with the K7 (or its cheaper brother) not supply such a feature? only something for 400 euros (way too much!!!)
Because it would be a lot too expensive. Nikon killed that feature too although they had it with F4 (and maybe F5) but not F6.

QuoteOriginally posted by fzwo Quote
What would be really great would be some kind of bluetooth adaptor and an app for my iPhone with wireless LiveView, controls and shutter. This would also quite impress the press, I think.
Bluetooth is WAY too slow for that.
08-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #28
Forum Member

You're right, Bluetooth is too slow. Trouble is, I don't think there is any way other than BT and WiFi to stream into an iOS device. It's a shame, really, because their screens are way nicer than any standalone screens on the market at comparable prices.
08-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Guss Quote

i guess amoled increases the viewing angle till 50 or 60 degrees? what about almost vertical angles?
My Samsung Galaxy with super AMOLED has no problem with 80 degree angles. No bluff, you live about 10km from me (I'm in Baarn) so I could show it you personally
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #30
Forum Member

That doesn't help at all when you're shooting above your head or near ground because you just can't watch the picture anymore when it becomes a narrow strip at those angles.