Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 03:38 AM   #466
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Yes, but the magnification could be better.
True, but I use the Pentax diopter which helps.

08-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know this might sound really basic but I just would like to see the focus points always viewable in the viewfinder...it is very surprising how that helps get the shot on target. I hated them at first with my Canon but when I moved to Pentax I realized how much easier they made things. They are permanent on the mirror or maybe its the focus screen I forget...but it was really a nice feature. Any word on that? I doubt the change was made but ya never know.
08-29-2010, 04:28 AM   #468

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
.. I just would like to see the focus points always viewable in the viewfinder...
Aren't they already? At least in my K100D they are indicated. The lines that are on the focus screen - they are drawn around focus points.
08-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #469
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Aren't they already? At least in my K100D they are indicated. The lines that are on the focus screen - they are drawn around focus points.
Actually no they are not...Sorry, I just did a poor job describing what it looks like. I was heading off to bed and got lazy not posting the shot I took of the 40D to show what you see in the viewfinder of a Canon with some variation:

{image and links removed as I have nothing worthy of contributing to PentaxForums}

It's just different and when you need as accurate a shot as possible these squares are invaluable.

Oh, as you can tell I still have not made it to bed...d'oh!!

Last edited by brecklundin; 11-27-2010 at 10:13 PM.
08-29-2010, 05:25 AM   #470
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't miss the marked focusing points. I know exactly where the focusing points are on my Pentax. It's actually very simple

Code:
  × × ×
× × × × ×
× × ×
And like Tranzistors said, they are outlined by the brackets.

If you replace the focusing screen then it just looks different but the focusing points are still at the same place.
08-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #471
Veteran Member

I am happy you are fine without them. All I did was say FOR ME I want them...your use and my use are different and to be blunt you might be able to GUESS the approximate location of your desired focus point but it is just that a guess. You can have a more difficult time hitting the same point on a subject when such accuracy is needed. It is simply not possible to position the selected focus point with pinpoint accuracy if ya can't see the darn things. And trust me even after over a year w/o them on the focus screen I still feel naked when shooting. One has to adapt to using a focus area and a best guess about the location of the focus point in that area and hope you get close. So I often end up with several more shots to be sure I get the one shot I need or I have to use such a small aperture that I lose all DOF control because it gets too large.

On the positive side it makes me far more aware of using DOF to cover any errors in setting my focus on the same spot even time.

And that, in a nut shell, was my simple and I know quite trivial point for experts around here. For the way I use a camera having the focus points visible all the time is a huge boon to more consistent shots. It even helps when positioning whatever I am shooting to approximately the same spot on my shooting table after having to move the item. Just move it until the focus point is in about the same spot and my shots look more balanced when taking multiples...it's just a useful tool to have as an option...for me...obviously you are better at guessing where the focus points are than me which makes me so jealous...hehehehe...

That is all I am saying...hell make let HoyaTax make an optional focus screen with the points present if people don't like having them there...I don't mind it's worth an extra $60 to me. It's just one of the compromises I learned I had to make after switching...and it may have been a deal breaker but by the time I realized it was too late all my Canon gear was sold and long gone. So I work around the issue best as I can.
08-29-2010, 06:16 AM   #472
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
And oh yes, of there will be no in body focus motor :P hhahahahahaha
So, no more screw drive focussing...and the DA limiteds then, are you absolutely sure?

Last edited by philippe; 08-29-2010 at 06:23 AM.
08-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #473

Photos: Gallery
-_- Sound weird indeed...
08-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #474
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dotchoucou Quote
-_- Sound weird indeed...
He's pulling your legs... He has already done so 4 or 5 times and people still get caught
08-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #475
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
He's pulling your legs... He has already done so 4 or 5 times and people still get caught
hehehehehehe
08-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #476
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
And a few other niceties...

1080p video with manual control.

Dual SD slots

Reinforced glass on read LCD and top LCD.

Improved VF

7fps shooting.
That's just guessing/wishing.
08-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #477
Veteran Member

I think its time for Pentax to go out with a press release seeing every other brand has done so. From a marketing pow, people are curious, if they are curious of other brands cameras they might go to far to the dark side if they dont get any info from pentax.
08-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #478
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
I think its time for Pentax to go out with a press release seeing every other brand has done so. From a marketing pow, people are curious, if they are curious of other brands cameras they might go to far to the dark side if they dont get any info from pentax.
So it's a matter of getting the press release out the fastest? o_O?? Really?

Photokina hasn't even started yet - and Sony and Nikon's cameras had been leaked/rumored about for so long that the official announcement was pretty anticlimactic.

Good things come to those who wait.
08-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #479
Veteran Member

Remember the K-7 picture leakage last year, best marketing for pentax EVER
08-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #480
Veteran Member

Right now Nikon, Sony & Canon are just trickling out the some of the less important product launches. The real big announcements will come either closer to the show or at the show itself. Not that these announcements are minor. I think the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 is a big release for Nikon. Their old 85mm was way overdue for an update and was not even in the same league as the 85L and the 85mmCZ. The 85mm-135mm focal length is very important to indoor event shooters on both FF and APS-C. If Nikon does release the D800 (or whatever) my 5D and 85L might be going on a shelf.

Pentax and Olympus probably both only have 2 bodies and maybe three lenses to release so they will hold off until closer to the show.

What is might be just as important for Pentax is to announce SDM II, a faster, quieter, & more reliable AF motor. A new FA* 85mm f/1.4 & 135mm f/1.8 would make things pretty interesting, but I get the feeling Sigma will be the go-to lens company for Pentax users when it comes to fast longer focal length primes.