Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The D-FA WR on the other hand is really nice. You have to see it for yourself, it's much nicer and it's not only cosmetic: the manual AF is also much smoother.
It's also emotional. This if often neclected or forgotten, but all else being equal, it's just more fun using a nicely made metal lens instead of a nicely made plastic one.

09-09-2010, 01:45 AM   #542
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But they're no equal.
The FA ltds are simply better quality and easier to focus than DA quick-shifts...
09-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #543

k-5 Questions.

Hi, I couldn't read through the complete 37 pages of posts on this so forgive me if these questions have already been asked.

Will the K-5 ...

- Run from AA batteries in the main camera body?
- Be dual power (LiIon and AA's)? And require an ugly AA adapter like the K-r?

.-.-.
09-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #544
Veteran Member

Same specs like the K-7,because same body,same bg

09-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #545

That's a shame.

So there's still not a AA powered solution for K200D users to move up to that has weather sealing etc.

.-.-.
09-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
That's a shame.

So there's still not a AA powered solution for K200D users to move up to that has weather sealing etc.

.-.-.
I would think not.
Is there a particular reason you would need AA power?
We own a operated a K200D for aprox, 1 year and found the batteries to be okay with regards to convenience, though not as convenient and cost effective as li-ion packs.
09-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #547

Yes, AA batteries are one of the key reasons I bought a Pentax DSLR in the first place.

I can't stand the hassles of custom LiIon packs.

Have found AA's to be much better for a lot of different reasons.

.-.-.
09-11-2010, 02:54 AM   #548
Pentaxian

I can't stand the hassles of custom LiIon packs.
What hassles are those?
On a side note, the K-r seems like a nice system and has both power options, so I guess there is still hope.

09-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #549

Yes, if the K-r had weather sealing I'd buy one.

However I'd rather get a AA powered K-5 really.

AA's vs Li-Ion hassles / disadvantages?

- Rechargeable AA's are convenient and available in most places.
- You can keep an eye on individual AA cell capacities and match like cells together. Also know their performance and life expectancy.
- AA's are cheaper.
- LSD AA's maintain 75% of their charge for up to 12 months now.
- AA power densities have improved and are approaching Li-Ion's now.
- Many chemistries exist to best suit the users needs in the same AA format. NiCad, NiMh, NiZn etc.
- AA's are a standard format that can be used in many devices. Hence you can have batteries on standby for many devices not just one. Where Li-Ion packs are often custom sizes and different for every device.
- Li-Ion chemistries only have a 2 year half shelf life. (By 2 years after the day they are manufactured they have lost at least half their capacity).
- Li-Ion batteries are dangerous and prone to igniting under certain conditions. (Thermal Runaway). SEE: Warning: Exploding batteries | Networking - InfoWorld &

Do you really want a device with that type of battery charging in your home or up against your face as you take pictures?

No, I'll stick with AA's thanks. !!

.-.-.
09-11-2010, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #550
Pentaxian

Do you really want a device with that type of battery charging in your home or up against your face as you take pictures?
As a long time RC enthusiast I can tell you that LIPO is every bit as safe as Lithium Ion batteries. In fact... In the 6+ years we've been using them(2s & 3s format), I've never once had a close call. I even found pack with a dead short following a crash which melted the terminals right off the connector, but never started a fire. And that was a 10A unit(extremely high current).

However, what's interesting in all that, is where all power sources are subject to fire hazards and toxicity under short-circuit conditions. Which is equally true of the Energizer lithium marketed for Pentax products.

With this in mind, I doubt this video makes a good case against a proprietary batteries given the millions of users around the world(think cell phones, PDA's, laptops, camera's etc) who end-up using them safely on a day to day basis.

The rest of your list in favor of AA's isn't very appealing either considering the Kx never worked to satisfaction with anything but Energizer lithium and the costs associated with their use.

FTR. the last time I purchased 6 batteries for my K20's it cost me a whole $38USD. I'm still using them as well as my earlier original Pentax packs and it takes an entire 40 mins. on average to charge one.(I try to keep six to ten packs in my bag at all times). There light, compact, have an incredible shelf life and can be recharged on the road and in the home.

I'd also like to add that I don't have anything against AA batteries per say, but I have yet to hear a good argument against against proprietary packs insofar as environmental and practical reasoning goes. I mean... in all fairness, other than getting someone out of a bind, I really don't see the value in that system at all. In fact... I think it ends-up being a waist money and resources in the end.

But that's just me
09-11-2010, 04:32 AM   #551
Inactive Account

@vk4akp
Hmm, the two Li-Ion batteries I bought with my K10D four years ago still function great and give me more than sufficient power.
The two Li-Ion batteries I bought with my K-7 are even better than the ones in the K10D ... sometimes I actually wish they would run out so I could recharge them but no matter what I throw at them they just keep going - surpassing all my expectations. Must be because they were designed to also work with the 645D.

My home & face are still intact after all these years of using Li-Ion batteries.

BTW, do you use a laptop? I'm just saying.

I agree on giving us the option to pick one or the other but please spare us the nonsense talk.
09-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #552
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I also cannot speak highly enough about the Li-ion batts I have for the K10D and K20D, I have five batts, some original, some third-party - all lasting me 4+ years and always giving me enough charge for over 700 actuations per charge (which takes less than an hour, as mentioned).

I'd hate for the K-5 to be a AA-powered device, personally...
09-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #553
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi, I couldn't read through the complete 37 pages of posts on this so forgive me if these questions have already been asked.

Will the K-5 ...

- Run from AA batteries in the main camera body?
- Be dual power (LiIon and AA's)? And require an ugly AA adapter like the K-r?

.-.-.
I highly doubt the K-5 will support AA's. Not enough juice. The K-r can, but the K-5 will probably use the same grip with AA's as the K-7, so that's your option.
09-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #554
Veteran Member

The obvious advantages of AA, concerns about explosions aside!

• Compatibility: AAs work with a wide range of devices so you can hot swap from one to another (flash to camera, for example) in a pinch.
  • Easier to manage: you need only one charger, not a different one for every device. And only one pool of batteries (AA), not new ones all the time.
  • More environmentally friendly: since the profusion of different connectors and devices is reduced.
  • AAs are available everywhere from Borneo to Paris, Texas and not just in speciality Pentax outlets (are there any?).
  • Cheaper products: since manufacturers do not need to sell you a proprietary charger.
  • Cheaper batteries themselves.
  • Long lasting and consistent -- Eneloops rock!

Compared to this, the one and only advantage of a proprietary battery is that it can be made smaller and lighter than a set of AAs. Yes, they can also deliver more Watt hours, but with increased device efficiency I think that benefit is a thing of the past.
09-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #555
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I highly doubt the K-5 will support AA's. Not enough juice. The K-r can, but the K-5 will probably use the same grip with AA's as the K-7, so that's your option.
That is one thing I'm surprised hasn't come up in the discussions about the K-5 as yet...
What about the K-5's grip?
If the dimensions of the K-5 aren't exactly the same as the K-7, then it may be that another grip is required for it. If so, are there any leaks or rumours floating around about it.
Though if the K-7 and K-5 use the same grip, has this been suggested/confirmed anywhere as yet?