Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #76
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PrimeObjectif Quote
And let's face it-- high-end APS-C is certainly here and strong. From my experience as a photographer and a manager of a camera store, I know more professionals and hardcore hobbyists using Canon 30/40/50/7D and Nikon D300/300s than full frame (although there are a good number 5D MKII users in that bunch.
Yes. And no place for Pentax here. Pentax can't offer big line of tele-lenses and has no RING MOTOR in SDM.
High-end DSLR is sport and reportage. It's not Pentax niche.

08-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)
- ISO 25600
- 7 frames per sec
- ¥ 139,000 (too high price - $1625 , but it could be $1400 at US market))
- announcement on September 20
- Released in mid-October

PENTAX KR:
- 12 million pixels
- 6 frames per sec
- 10 color of body and 12 color grip, as the combination 120 colours
- 74,800 yen ($875 - but it could be $750 at US market))
I Think its NEW PENTAX Sensor Design but made by Sony. Like subcontracted since Pentax don't manufacture their own sensors.

There is big difference in Sony Designed Sensor and made by Sony and Pentax Designed and made by Sony.
08-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #78

All I want is K-7 with a better sensor. K-5 seems to be just that - I'll buy it.
K-7 is the best camera body in my opinion, DA (and FA) Limited primes are the most
unique small prime lenses you can buy today.
Do I need a FF camera - yes. But I don't complain or wait for ever - I've had one
for last 5 years or more - Canon 5D and 5D MkII. They are great.
But I still think K-7 is better as a small setup with those great small lenses.
Pentax is making a huge mistake not advertising the strongest, most interesting
advantage - a professional quality SMALL system with amazing SMALL glass.
Everybody wants mirror-less, blah, blah and then they put some funny looking
big lenses on it. K-7 and a prime Ltd is often smaller than a Panasonic or a Sony
with a stupid big lens on it and the quality Pentax can offer is so much better...
Especially with this new Sony sensor. I like what Pentax offers me.
And I bet many people would if they only knew about it.
When I tell anyone I have a Pentax setup, they are very surprised
and they know completely nothing about it. What a shame.
When I show them my small prime lenses, they can't believe how great they are.
Then I show them how good K-7 is.
If Pentax dies is because of the bad marketing, not lack of FF...
08-22-2010, 06:42 AM   #79

OGL took info from digicame-info.com page Maybe spec are true, maybe not I can promise all you, that you would be suprised what Pentax will show in Photokina. I even planinig to buy tickets to this event.

08-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
OGL took info from digicame-info.com page Maybe spec are true, maybe not I can promise all you, that you would be suprised what Pentax will show in Photokina. I even planinig to buy tickets to this event.
Your under NDA i think.
08-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Don't you think we got your point by now, after 5 posts stubbornly repeating the same thing ?
Thibs, you have to learn to lighten up, sit back and enjoy the camera comedian! Ogl's rule number 1 - if you throw enough s*^t at the wall, something will stick! Rule number 2 - once cameras have been announced, vehemently refer back to the couple of turds that turned out true, and talk about how pentax is a sinking ship because they haven't yet replaced the k200d.
08-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #82
Veteran Member

If the following are true:

* K-5 fixes the low shutter speed blur (cf. falk's article)
* K-5 has dramatically better AF/more AF points
* K-5 keeps the K-7 body style/grip compatibility
* K-5's high-ISO capabilities are all we expect them to be

I'll definitely be upgrading from the K-7.

08-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)
- ISO 25600
- 7 frames per sec
- ¥ 139,000 (too high price - $1625 , but it could be $1400 at US market))
- announcement on September 20

PENTAX KR:
- 12 million pixels
- 6 frames per sec
- 10 color of body and 12 color grip, as the combination 120 colours
- 74,800 yen ($875 - but it could be $750 at US market))
Thanks, OGL, I waS JUST ABOUT TO BUY A k7 AT $869 at B&H , So I will wait it out and I'm sure they will adjust prices downward at Chritmas time... Thanks, I would have been frustrated if I would have bought the K7 at the end of his life with a so-so performance. Personnally, I think this will be a great seller for Pentaxians but it will not move Canikon believers to Pentax at this price level( More expensive then the D3100S)
08-22-2010, 07:16 AM   #84
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
I Think its NEW PENTAX Sensor Design but made by Sony. Like subcontracted since Pentax don't manufacture their own sensors.

There is big difference in Sony Designed Sensor and made by Sony and Pentax Designed and made by Sony.

Why pentax need to design their own snesor? It they work like Nikon D700 sensor, P design S make, Pentax won't even get their R&D money back. The only way is buy Sony production CMOS, if Sony would sell them to pentax at a lower price. I don't think Sony and Pentax have good relationship between them, at lease not as good as Sony and Nikon. I think Nikon will have their D800/D700s with the 2460MP Sony exmor cmos with HD video.

IMO pentax do not have FF because lack of FF sensor supply, not tecnical or marketing obstacle.

I think Nikon upgraded their D3 first to 24.6MP Sony CMOS is because Sony worried that a D700s or D800 will destory A900 share in the market, and same reason for Pentax FF.

So, dear Sony, if you gonna quit from DSLR world and play EVIL, sell the 2460MP sensor to Pentax, don't worry Pentax FF is a killer to your A900, it's already dead.

BTW, I need FF because I want both DOF and ISO, and M42 compatibility, so it has to be Pentax. I can wait for another year, but not forever
08-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramiot Quote
Personnally, I think this will be a great seller for Pentaxians but it will not move Canikon believers to Pentax at this price level( More expensive then the D3100S)
Somehow, I don't think K5 and D3100 are targeting the same audience.
In fact, I'm sure there's not much in common.
08-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #86
Forum Member

I hope you are right. I will not be disappointed if it will be a higher spec crop sensor camera with a nice price . A low end FF would be also nice, but I'm afraid this could mean too many compromises for that price.
08-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #87
emr

I can promise all you, that you would be suprised what Pentax will show in Photokina. I even planinig to buy tickets to this event.
I don't know what you know and what you don't know, but I seriously hope that Pentax lives up to the hype that's been built up during the last couple of months. With comments like yours, any incremental or evolutionary progress of their cameras will feel like a disappointment. Only FF or FF/EVIL or perhaps a kick-ass pellicle system with super-duper AF and video might be up to the hype - and even then many would be disappointed in the direction that the company's taking. And I'm afraid that we're not going to see that (I have zero inside information and don't even pretend to have).
08-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can promise all you, that you would be suprised
Why?
08-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #89
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
If Pentax dies is because of the bad marketing, not lack of FF...
so true, I really hope pentax is listening to us

because the WR in the k7 kills the 7d/d300, people need to know this. I've seen videos of k7's being used in the shower, because I searched for it on youtube, people who would otherwise buy a 7d need to see this video at the point of sale to sway them to pentax

SR works incredibly well for video work, again there seems to be no marketing push towards filmmakers to say that pentax M glass with in body SR is a cheap and high quality way to get great footage (although I guess the lack of marketing is because there isn't a pentax camera with great video yet). There needs to be a video showing a kx and a 50mm 1.7 stabilised, showing how much of an effect the IS has, and how much better value for money the pentax system is

AF improvements and FF are valuable, but indie filmmakers is a huge market and it's only going to increase as video becomes the standard. There's a really interesting interview with vincent la foret where he says that the shift in journalism from print to digital will mean that video is more important than stills, this will become common place, to not embrace this will mean you are left behind.

A FF, in body IS pentax camera with better AF and video AF (although not essential)would destroy the 5d, assuming the pentax has all the features required (HDMI out etc).
IMO they have to leapfrog canon. Canon are already there with the 5,7 and even the 550- so far pentax doesn't have 1 camera which competes, until the 550d I would have heartily recommended the kx as it was seriously a better camera than the 500d, but the 550 changed my mind. Nikon look like they might be onto a winner with the 3100 and the d800/d700s will be a 5d killer. Pentax need to do something about this
08-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #90
Inactive Account

I just bought a K-x about 2 weeks ago. Decided it was time to get into DSLRs, and am planning a vacation trip next month, so didn't have time to wait for the new models. I want Pentax to release a FF some time in the near term primarily for doing wide angle (landscape) work and also just on principle to have a product which is a direct replacement for a film SLR body (without crop factors). Other than not being FF and having the maddening and unusable focus screen (which can be replaced by something like the Katz screen - would that sticking a FF sensor in there was as easy), I like the K-x a lot so far. Like the idea of what appears to be a more robust body construction in the K7, but it seems to me in general that DLRs are still evolving and improving rapidly (mostly with regard to the sensors and various image processing functions), so for my first DSLR purchase I decided to be a little cheap and I can reevaluate if I need something better later on. Hopefully in next few years there will be a Pentax FF available.

Am not very interested in giving Canon or Nikon a pile of money for their FF cameras. Like the results I've gotten with Pentax over the years, like the lenses I have and just wish they would bring out a FF model.

Last edited by dcunitedfan; 08-22-2010 at 07:44 AM.