Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by youky63 Quote
K7 was 130.000 yens new. So Ogl prices sounds correct to me.
So if japanese price tag is correct it means that K5 may be introduced on the US and Europen market at the same price tag as the K7. It is correct for me, I'll certainlt buy it. It also means that the K5 is the replacement of the K7 and not an upper-level model;

08-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #107
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
K-5 will be with BSI sensor ISO 200-12800, 100-25600 (expanded)
AF in video and better speed in LV

video 1080P@29.97/23.976 / 720P 60fps/50fps

Body and LCD are from K-7 (almost )
08-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #108
Veteran Member

I'm still using a K200D. Do I want to upgrade? Absolutely. I'm already saving for the K-5 or whatever the higher spec Pentax dSLR will be. To be perfectly honest, I'm more interested in any possible lens announcements.

Hey Ogl

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-5 will be with BSI sensor ISO 200-12800, 100-25600 (expanded)
AF in video and better speed in LV

video 1080P@29.97/23.976 / 720P 60fps/50fps

Body and LCD are from K-7 (almost )

that sounds almost like the translucent Sony models (AF in video, ISO range) any thoughts?
08-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Small feature which could be offered by marketing department of Pentax as the most important thing to make photo.
ogl, this is exact Deja Vu about the in-viewfinder histogram display that was supposed to be in the K-7 last year. I know you're just as hopeful as the rest of us, but please don't make it seem like you know something you don't (though your leaked spec numbers are always appreciated)

one thing is for sure though, Pentax couldn't demand $1625 for a 16mp K-7 alone. when you can get an 18mp HD Canon for less than a $1000, weatherproofed magnesium isn't enough to make up that difference.

It's true, if Pentax is sticking with APS, they'll need an honest feature upgrade in technology like the 7D was forced to do. a tilt LCD will not cut it.

One thing that has me unsettled though is why Pentax has been so quiet on the lens roadmap the last year. That's the only thing that gives me hope that they've been working on a new lens/format line. It's driving us all sick thinking about it. we need some truth, no more hints.

08-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #110
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
I'm still using a K200D. Do I want to upgrade? Absolutely. I'm already saving for the K-5 or whatever the higher spec Pentax dSLR will be. To be perfectly honest, I'm more interested in any possible lens announcements.

Hey Ogl

that sounds almost like the translucent Sony models (AF in video, ISO range) any thoughts?
I'm still using K200D and plan to use it farther...
08-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
k-5 will be with bsi sensor iso 200-12800, 100-25600 (expanded)
iso 200???
08-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote

the translucent mirror sounds interesting and does indeed allow for all the improvements ogl is claiming but you also lose near a whole stop in low-ISO and with the beating the K-7 took in that dept (and the subsequent redemption in the k-x) I can't see Pentax going in that direction.

plus I think Pentax is a little too traditional to lose the Reflex in their flagship camera. Look at how much attention they gave the silky shutter on the K-7.

08-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #113
Veteran Member

I have read statements that BSI will not find its way into larger sensors like aps-c.
08-22-2010, 09:36 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I don't know what you know and what you don't know, but I seriously hope that Pentax lives up to the hype that's been built up during the last couple of months. With comments like yours, any incremental or evolutionary progress of their cameras will feel like a disappointment. Only FF or FF/EVIL or perhaps a kick-ass pellicle system with super-duper AF and video might be up to the hype - and even then many would be disappointed in the direction that the company's taking. And I'm afraid that we're not going to see that (I have zero inside information and don't even pretend to have).
I perfectly understand emr. Nubi and I were able to discuss this to some length and here's the thing, many users are more than happy with the IQ of the current bodies. AF and the flash system seem to be the larger concerns as well as long glass. I personally feel excited about the upcoming bodies and feel that people will be pleased and happy in the end.

IQ wise, aps-c and ff do not have as much of a difference today as it did a few years ago. DR, dof, and noise though still has room for improvements. I think the high end aps-c will be this comming year and FF will come along in next year. That will give Pentax a full range of bodies with the 645D heading the pack. So I think the line up will be, in a year or so, 645D, FF, K-5, K-7 (or replacement), K-r, K-x (or replacement). That's what I think will happen.

We all know that Pentax needs a pro network and that takes time to happen. You can't make one up overnight. The 645D and the K-5 will i think in that end help to establish the network, and FF will then jump into the foray. Otherwise, a "professional" looking for ff will not get the support they need or want even if in 2 months a FF from Pentax hits the market.

Just my .02

theperception2008

Last edited by theperception2008; 08-22-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: grammer edit...
08-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Anyone have any clue what this might mean?:

Pentax K-r Camera

It's got little there but do they know something we don't?
08-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
I Think its NEW PENTAX Sensor Design
Pentax has no people to design sensors... you might want to find one patent from Pentax related to actually sensor (silicon) design first... they might have experience designing optics on top like AA/IR/CFA - but not sensor itself.
08-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #117
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
All specs could be real and could be not...
08-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Pentax has no people to design sensors... you might want to find one patent from Pentax related to actually sensor (silicon) design first... they might have experience designing optics on top like AA/IR/CFA - but not sensor itself.
Maybe, but i meant on Paper. Also the Patent may already in Japan only or currently pending. A lot of stuff you see like this "patent pending".

Anyway just as long the new Pentax is as good or even better than K-X this would change everything on the DSLR world.
08-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #119
Veteran Member

All specs could be real and could be not...
sorry i don't get it ogl, so you are admitting your posts are meaningless? is attention on a forum really that important?
08-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
I have read statements that BSI will not find its way into larger sensors like aps-c.
BSI sensors generate more heat than traditional sensors and bigger sensors have more trouble dissipating heat than smaller sensors. Both Sony and Panasonic have stated that they did not expect see BSI illuminated sensors in DSLRs because of the heat issue, BUT both companies like to lie their butts off when it comes to making public statements.

I appears now that both the Panasonic GH2 and the Sony line will feature BSI sensors with significant improvements to high-ISO performance.

Larger sensors generate more heat especially when using LV or shooting video, so I'm not sure how fast BSI sensors will appear in FF bodies. Maybe Sony has already solved the heat issue and an A9xx will be rolling out by the end of the year. It appears that Panasonic has had trouble even producing a 4/3 size BSI sensor. Rumors that Olympus is unhappy with how slow Panasonic has been at developing new sensor technology have been circulating for a while now.

If the performance of the BSI sensors live up to expectations you could see APS-C sensors that perform as well as the Canon 5D (original) or the A900.