Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Rumors that Olympus is unhappy with how slow Panasonic has been at developing new sensor technology have been circulating for a while now.
so why Olympus was not using GH1 sensor in its cameras, instead using much worse design ?

08-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
so why Olympus was not using GH1 sensor in its cameras, instead using much worse design ?
Panasonic just finished building a new sensor fab plant this spring (9 months behind schedule). The GF & Olympus EP series have pretty much been selling faster than Panasonic can produce sensors. For several months the GH1 was in short supply since Panasonic could not make the sensors fast enough.

Go to DxOmark and compare the GH1 to the K-x and the Canon 5D. The GH1 is an amazing little sensor.

Long story short..... Panasonic could not make enough of the GH1 sensor to keep up with their own demand. Rumor was the E-5 was scheduled to ship with the GH1 sensor, but m4/3 success and lack of supply put the E-5 back on the shelf.
08-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #123
Veteran Member

We have just a handful of "maybe" specs and some hint of current Pentax thinking on MSRP. Big deal.

We can talk reasonably about the impact on Pentax once we know:

* Full set of specs.

* Real-world performance and output. Theoretical sensitivity of ISO 12,800 "expanded" doesn't tell us much.

* Street pricing during the majority of its life cycle.

Judging by the number of posts here, this must be a very boring weekend in Pentax-land. I'm off to shoot airplanes.
08-22-2010, 10:53 AM   #124
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
...I'm off to shoot airplanes.
I wonder how many Homeland security and NSA bots that triggered.

Yes, a boring weekend indeed.

08-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #125

Some correction from comments on k-rumors Blog Archive (K3) First infos about the K-5 and K-r
Umm, I don΄t think those…

PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)…….. 14MPX Sony sensor
- ISO 25600……… ISO 12800
- 7 frames per sec………… Yes
- ₯ 139,000 (too high price – $1625 )…………. $1200
- announcement on September 20
- Released in mid-October

PENTAX KR:
- 12 million pixels
- 6 frames per sec……… 5fps
- 10 color of body and 12 color grip, as the combination 120 colours
- 74,800 yen ($875)………. $700
08-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DronDrive Quote
Some correction from comments on k-rumors Blog Archive (K3) First infos about the K-5 and K-r
Umm, I don΄t think those…

PENTAX K-5:
- 16 million pixels (SONY new sensor)…….. 14MPX Sony sensor
- ISO 25600……… ISO 12800
- 7 frames per sec………… Yes
- ₯ 139,000 (too high price – $1625 )…………. $1200
- announcement on September 20

PENTAX KR:
- 12 million pixels
- 6 frames per sec……… 5fps
- 10 color of body and 12 color grip, as the combination 120 colours
- 74,800 yen ($875)………. $700

How can one RUMOR be a correction to another RUMOR? They are both RUMORS.

Since Sony has discontinued the 12MP sensor I'm pretty sure we will not see it in the new Kr. Sony has released a new 14MP and a new 16MP. IF Pentax is going to use the Sony sensor then odds are those are the two we will see.
08-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Anyone have any clue what this might mean?:

Pentax K-r Camera

It's got little there but do they know something we don't?
That means they know nothing about K-R, yet.

08-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure why people are getting so hung up on FF. It's a concern when people say that Pentax won't stay in the game unless they enter the fray with a larger sensor soon (BTW: they did beat all Canikons with the 645D if you want something closer to a REAL FF!!) Let's not forget, Olympus has been trading on the 4/3 format for many years now- and do remember this is 10-15% smaller than APS-C. What keeps people coming back to them is innovation. First with a serious interchangeable micro 4/3 compact, top shelf Zuiko glass. Never lose sight of the fact that glass is THE most important piece of the photographic puzzle, and that Pentax glass is one of the best ever made. It rivals both Leica and Zeiss. People who photography will want the nicest glass; irrespective of how glitzy the light-tight box they plug into.

Yeah Canikon might give you a larger sensor, but their glass is second-rate. Even the L-series are an abomination compared to Pentax Ltds.

To be honest, I'd rather a more simple body (light-tight box) that allows me to control the exposure triangle - shutter/aperture/ISO rather than the Gameboys we all tote around today!..FULL STOP. But on that simple body I want the best glass I can afford. So yes an EVIL would mean far more to me that a little bigger 35mm sensor.

So, this concern over more features in a body is just playing into the Canikon hands....I say Pentax should buck the trend and continue investing in its glass and simplify the body!!! Let the Gameboy peddlers, with their infinite menus peddle their games...I'm sure if you work hard enough you'll find the button combination that will open a cheat which will let you take the perfect photograph! Meanwhile give me some Pentax Ltds and a light-tight box!!!

<Slowly climbs off soap-box and wipes spittle of a reddened face >
08-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #129
emr

IF the new sensor is by Sony, IF it is indeed 16 Mpix, is it then the same as in the rumored Sony A55?

This is what they predict for it sensor-wise:

QuoteQuote:
16MP sensor
* ISO range of 100-12800 (or 25600???)
* 1080i video
* 15 AF points, some of them cross-point
IF there's any truth in the rumors nowadays, I'm more and more beginning to think that the K-5 will be a pellicle camera with an EVF.

But I admit that all this useless speculation with zero reliable or verified information so far is getting pretty boring.

Last edited by emr; 08-22-2010 at 01:58 PM.
08-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #130

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Im interested on how good is the high iso performance of the new K5..
Same, I am no fan boy but with the noise levels that Pentax has at high ISO either they cure it or I am probably selling off my Pentax stuff and jumping ship forever. I cannot do anything astrophotography related without the unacceptable high noises and I am ready to move on if they force me too. I keep hoping they will come up with an answer and with a few more controls the K-x might have done the trick but so far Pentax has been a let down in the noise dept.
08-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by [B:
deejjjaaaa;[/B]1151874]Pentax has no people to design sensors... you might want to find one patent from Pentax related to actually sensor (silicon) design first... they might have experience designing optics on top like AA/IR/CFA - but not sensor itself.

You may find what you want here :

Patent: Sorry

Rui

Last edited by RuiC; 08-23-2010 at 06:43 AM.
08-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #132
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MariusCTM Quote
So, you'll be the 1st one to buy K5?
I'll probably upgrade from K-7 to K-5 yes.

But this time i wont be the first one in line, as that felt like a test dummie situation last time i did it No, i'll be waiting at least until the bugs are worked out.

hmmmm.......wich means i'll have to wait a long time knowing the history of K-7.
It is now after more than a year the K-7 is complete and working at it should have from the begining
08-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #133

I am Pentax user for more than one year now. I have been reading all the news here on the forum, and must say that I can't wait to see official Pentax news about new bodies, and hopefuly, lenses.
Before my K10D I owned Canon 350d. My impressions with K10D are very mixed. It is a solid body, but lenses are just to expensive. I still miss my fantastic 85mm f1.8 Canon lens. It was fast (I mean really fast!), and very affordable. Not like Pentax 77mm, which costs about 3 or 4 times more.
If Pentax does not come up with something really exciting, like fast AF (at least fast like Canikon), FF plans for the future, new cheap prime f1.8 lenses (85mm please), I will be selling my Pentax gear soon.
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl:
No chances to attract old users with K200/20/10/K-x...IMO.
attracts me
Pete
08-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hegedus Quote
I still miss my fantastic 85mm f1.8 Canon lens. It was fast (I mean really fast!), and very affordable. Not like Pentax 77mm, which costs about 3 or 4 times more.
If Pentax does not come up with something really exciting, like fast AF (at least fast like Canikon), FF plans for the future, new cheap prime f1.8 lenses (85mm please), I will be selling my Pentax gear soon.
I know it is slower and shorter but have you tried the DA70 at all ?
Pete