Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Those times had long ago passed; now it's "evolution, rather than revolution" for all camera makers. Not even the mighty 7D (well, it's the most expensive APS-C in production) is not, IMO, a "revolutionary" upgrade from it's predecessors. Disappointing, eh?
Well, not disappointing at all. In fact, on somewhat humorous note, as long as these (r)evolutionary upgrades obey the Moore's law, I am perfectly fine with it. Perchance it is time we formulated a special case of Moore's law for modern camera bodies and/or specifically for Pentax camera bodies.

08-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Not WR. DA L. Modest apertures. Very low prices. 1 prime, 1 zoom, maybe another.

Hint to those of you looking for FF. Pentax looks to be releasing what I will term "non-investment glass" all DA L.

from what I hear, the K-5 is a modest K-7 upgrade, the K-r as well. If you're looking for fast glass or WR, not there, not from Pentax. My read is pretty simple: until they see the FF sensors and price points and can see a way into that game, little "investment glass" will be forthcoming. Their line is mostly done for the APS-C crowd. What is coming out is inexpensive "filler" glass for the consumer crowd.

DAL 30mm 2.1
08-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #183
Veteran Member

You are correct. On spec my info is that this has substantially improved. Tests will tell. That and early adopter feedback.

Overall the K-5 looks to be a K-7 upgrade, their flagship, top-of-the-line animal designed to go head-to-head with the same from Canikon (like D300s) and Sony (release du jour), and MSRP US$600< their FF offerings, especially at street price. The market is waiting to see where Canikon come with their FF line-up. With the Yen high, I suspect no budge in pricing from Nikon, but the D700 may notch down a bit and stay in production closer to US$1,900 if the come out with a D800 as expected. Just a rumour and hunch. That will put pressure on the flagship APS-C's to drop prices quickly. The K-7 lost as much as 40% off MSRP in 8 months. That's pretty good. Look for that again.

There were 3 main areas the K-7 needed to improve on:

1) High ISO and noise performance. K-x or better, please. Looks like on paper they went there.

2) Video. Also looks like they went there. Important for broader sales.

3) Better AF. Again, on paper, apparently a lot has gone into this, long seen as the Pentax weak spot. Tests will tell.

As for lenses, I have heard of 3 in the pipe, but only 2 to be released soon, a zoom and a prime. Both DA L. I think the DA Ltd line-up is done because APS-C is a question mark, so no major upgrades like WR, SDM, etc.

We could be surprised. My info is from the distribution channel, so something might come from the floor at Photokina. The stuff I do know about is in preview now and is being loaded into shipping containers for Christmas season sales.

One thing I have not heard of from Pentax is AF capability with video. Sounds like both Nikon and Sony are on this. That's going to be an interesting tangent for performance spec.
What Pentax needs is to upgrade it's top of the line flash to match it's high quality bodies.
08-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #184
emr

It's the lenses that will have people talking.
Not WR. DA L. Modest apertures. Very low prices. 1 prime, 1 zoom, maybe another.
So it's cheap plastic mount entry-level lenses that we're expected to be excited about? Talk about an anti-climax, if that's it.

08-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
So it's cheap plastic mount entry-level lenses that we're expected to be excited about? Talk about an anti-climax, if that's it.
Well, if Pentax take their good old FA lenses, such as FA 35/2.0 or FA 28/2.8 and re-introduce them in DAL finish, then perhaps people will start talking and even see certain degree of positiveness in these lenses. After all, this is rumors section of the forum, so one is allowed to fantasize.
08-23-2010, 05:56 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Such a specialized lens is bound to generate... almost no buzz on the forums because it's much too specialized. So I doubt that this will happen.
Yeah, but if Pentax is targeting new markets it might be a good move. They have the optics for a larger image circle already done. They have a stated interest in landscape shooters. Tilt/shift might well be regarded as a speciality lens, but in fact it provides geometric control that used to be bog standard. Combine this with WR and one has a winning combo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
The picture qualities of the current FA Limiteds are only there because they left some abberations in the design. Super-corrected optics generally have a less pleasing and more harsh look. At least, IMHO.
Yes, I know and agree with you. I would not be asking for an FA43 that is sharp at the edges wide open, or anything like that. But with improved optical formulae and coatings, certain incremental corrections could be made without tampering with the basic design. I am sure many would buy an improved FA77 WR Limited.
08-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
But with improved optical formulae and coatings, certain incremental corrections could be made without tampering with the basic design. I am sure many would buy an improved FA77 WR Limited.
With all due respect, I am thinking that this WR thing is getting way overrated. Consider this. FA77 is/was initially produced as a portrait lens. It is therefore not uncommon to think that it would be used even in the studio conditions for, well, portraiture. Then, the only use of WR would be to allow the ever forgetful photographer keep shooting if they spill their favorite beverage on their gear while having a coffee/tea/etc break during their studio shoot... Indeed, there might be other uses for FA77 but I am thinking that the lenses specifically designed for the field use should be getting the WR. E.g. DFA 100/2.8 macro WR. It is easily the lens to be used in the field. But making every other lens WR just because makes little logic. I for one, would think that Pentax is trying to charge my credit card just because, and not by offering me something of real value that I would really use.

08-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
But has it achieved anything? And how will we know if it has, other than market-speak?
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
With all due respect, I am thinking that this WR thing is getting way overrated. Consider this. FA77 is/was initially produced as a portrait lens. It is therefore not uncommon to think that it would be used even in the studio conditions for, well, portraiture. Then, the only use of WR would be to allow the ever forgetful photographer keep shooting if they spill their favorite beverage on their gear while having a coffee/tea/etc break during their studio shoot... Indeed, there might be other uses for FA77 but I am thinking that the lenses specifically designed for the field use should be getting the WR. E.g. DFA 100/2.8 macro WR. It is easily the lens to be used in the field. But making every other lens WR just because makes little logic. I for one, would think that Pentax is trying to charge my credit card just because, and not by offering me something of real value that I would really use.
That's astute, but Pentax is still trying to get your credit card $$$ with this approach by having you buy 2 different lenses for different applications or FL's.

We win/lose either way
08-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #189
Veteran Member

That's astute, but Pentax is still trying to get your credit card $$$ with this approach by having you buy 2 different lenses for different applications or FL's.
Well, I am thinking of it differently yet. Pentax is giving me a choice of DA* 16-50/2.8 with whatever modern tech it has, or I can go and buy something like Sigma EX DG 24-60/2.8, which of course is not directly comparable with DA* lens, but yet has its share of merits. In fact, I don't have (D)FA 100/2.8 macro lens, for I considered it to be too expensive compared to the actual use of its macro capability. Instead I bought FA 100/3.5 macro which although cheap is surprisingly good optically. Presently my daughter is shooting with it and gets very good results.
08-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #190
Inactive Account

You are correct. On spec my info is that this has substantially improved. Tests will tell. That and early adopter feedback.
any idea how many AF points are in the k5? still the ol' 11 points?
f2.8 center sensitivity or still f5.6?
AFC tracking now "officially" available and working at least on paper?
08-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
FA77 is/was initially produced as a portrait lens. It is therefore not uncommon to think that it would be used even in the studio conditions for, well, portraiture.
Lot's of portraiture in hunting and fishing, but not much hunting of fishing done in a studio.

Thank you
Russell
08-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #192
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Pretty sure the reply was to the lenses comment.
Heh.

SURPRISE!!

I'm just sayin'

Last edited by monochrome; 08-23-2010 at 07:06 AM.
08-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #193
Veteran Member

I really hope that Pentax comes up with something more exciting than what is suggested here. Why would you upgrade from a K20 or a K7 or a KX?
08-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #194

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
any idea how many AF points are in the k5? still the ol' 11 points?
f2.8 center sensitivity or still f5.6?
AFC tracking now "officially" available and working at least on paper?
it will have F2.8 center sensitivity, can't tell about points anything
08-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #195
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
hey, rupert, what does festus have to say about this?

well, if the AF will fall short, i've already gotten the okay from my XYL to jump ship err.... have 2 systems

there's been no indication from the rumors/speculations that the AF has had a major overhaul. so i'm not holding my breath on this.

this should be interesting.

btw, rupert, where did you read about the AF system being 6-12 months away?
Read it here...... Pentax K5 (en) This is not a well written article, and I know little of the credibility of the site, but like you, I have heard little of any real AF improvement. That was supposed to be in the K7....remember? Some said it was, but as time went on, reports were much less glowing, weren't they? I doubt they will be any different in the K5, or they would be spotlighting it already.
So, a K5 with good high ISO...that buyers of the K7 "should have got". Next a replacement for the K5 with great AF, that the K5 buyers "should have got"? I am not sure I want to keep playing the Pentax Game? Nikon built the D700 and "got it right"...no games, no "next time". A person that has purchased the K10D, K20D, K7, and now K5 has already bought the D700 and a nice lens or two....they just didn't get it....they got promises of "next time". I like my K20D, love Pentax generally, and think Pentaxians are the best of shooters, but I don't like games, and I feel like I am being "played" by Pentax.
Regards