Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
[...] (That being said, I'll probably buy it).[...]
Most sensible remark in a looong time in this thread.....
K-5 (if it lives up to the rumors....):
Do I need it???? No Sir
Do I want it???? No Sir
Will I get it?? Yep....

09-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #377
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Most sensible remark in a looong time in this thread.....
K-5 (if it lives up to the rumors....):
Do I need it???? No Sir
Do I want it???? No Sir
Will I get it?? Yep....
Well, I do kind of want it...
09-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #378
Pentaxian

Such comments scares me. Would Pentax make enough of them? Tomorrow morning I'll go and order one... it should be fun: "I know you're making a high-end DSLR, no point in denying it. I don't even care about the exact specs. I want one!"
But... nope, I won't do it. Knowing our local distributor (and them knowing me), I'm already on the list.
09-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #379
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Such comments scares me. Would Pentax make enough of them? Tomorrow morning I'll go and order one... it should be fun: "I know you're making a high-end DSLR, no point in denying it. I don't even care about the exact specs. I want one!"
But... nope, I won't do it. Knowing our local distributor (and them knowing me), I'm already on the list.
I hope that was not supposed to be a quote of what I posted (partly tongue in cheek), because it isn't. Yes I'm interested in a 16mp ISO 25,600 7 FPS APS-c body. But talking as though that were an order Pentax can take to the bank.....

09-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #380
Pentaxian

No, not taking an order to the bank - but putting your (my, actually) name on an imaginary waiting list. I made it known that I'd like the K-7's replacement Now, would they have a camera for me? I guess we'll see at Photokina...
Details aren't important

Last edited by Kunzite; 09-02-2010 at 02:30 PM.
09-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #381

Well I have read this entire thread and feel that I will order one and the grip.
I haven't heard of a cost yet, but based on the past
Ds $AUD1400,
K10 $AUD1350 with grip
K20 $AUD1480 with grip
K7 didn't get one as the side grip was too small
K5 $AUD ????? with grip, could be under $AUD2000.

It's going to nice to have 7 frames per sec for motorsport
09-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #382
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pencil me in for a late adopter -- probably going to buy one, but not at the initial offering price.

09-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #383
Veteran Member

I will probably upgrade if the image quality is same/improved coupled with ISO performance that equals Nikon. I can wring out good results in PP with K7 but would prefer it out of the camera. I do think the K7 has an excellent body all it really needs is a sensor update and comparable specs to D300s and 7D. I'm sure Pentax will get it right as KX is a really good choice for a sensor. I had a random guy talk to me after seeing that I had a Pentax and he had just ordered a KX because it has such a good reputation for the price. K5 needs that vibe and Pentax will be doing fine.
09-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #384
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I will probably upgrade if the image quality is same/improved coupled with ISO performance that equals Nikon. I can wring out good results in PP with K7 but would prefer it out of the camera. I do think the K7 has an excellent body all it really needs is a sensor update and comparable specs to D300s and 7D. I'm sure Pentax will get it right as KX is a really good choice for a sensor. I had a random guy talk to me after seeing that I had a Pentax and he had just ordered a KX because it has such a good reputation for the price. K5 needs that vibe and Pentax will be doing fine.
The K-7 is a fine camera in many respects, it's build quality for the price is simply without an equal.

It's real weakness is just the AF, whilst yes noise is an issue at higher ISO (which I rarely go to) it can be alleviated by using the camera right.

IMHO the major weakness for me in the Pentax chain is the flash system and accessories, if Pentax can get this part right then you have a great all round system for the money.

And just for the record I can't say i've had any major dramas with P-ttl, my gripes relate to the terrible build quality of the flash.
09-04-2010, 07:46 AM   #385
Veteran Member

Looks like it's a common understanding that K-7 is a great body, just requiring some improvements. I really hope the new K-5 will not be the same body, but a new one – little bigger, more in the line of K20/K20. Am I alone hoping a bigger body?

I still have a K10, I skipped k20 as I was still learning k10, thought I would buy the next body (k-7). I once even was in the store meaning to buy the great K-7, but when I held it in my hands, I simply did not like it, it felt like a toy to me, so I did not buy it.

I find that, as an amateur who does not absolutely need new body, I do now want one. But for some irrational reason I need to feel it in my hands before, and then fall in love with it. Strange how much a few mm's can matter.

So to OP's question, yes, specs-wise it'll be worth it, I'm sure, but I will buy only if it also feels good in my hands.

Last edited by gawan; 09-04-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo
09-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #386
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Looks like it's a common understanding that K-7 is a great body, just requiring some improvements. I really hope the new K-5 will not be the same body, but a new one – little bigger, more in the line of K20/K20. Am I alone hoping a bigger body?
I think there are many who wish that, but also people who feel that the smaller the camera body is, the better. And I gotta say that compact size has been one of the Pentax strengths. I personally (with not the smallest hands, glove size 7 1/2 or 8) wish my next camera is smaller than the K20D I have today.
09-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #387
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I think there are many who wish that, but also people who feel that the smaller the camera body is, the better. And I gotta say that compact size has been one of the Pentax strengths. I personally (with not the smallest hands, glove size 7 1/2 or 8) wish my next camera is smaller than the K20D I have today.
I have very large hands but very much wish the K-5 will be significantly smaller than my K10D. The K-7 body seems very good to me (but I've only tried it in a shop). The ergonomics of a camera IMHO doesn't have very much to do with size. E.g. I tend to like the grip of the smaller K100D better. In general, I prefer small cameras and think that my K10D is ridiculously large compared to my FF cameras (LX and ME Super ).
09-04-2010, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #388
Veteran Member

I had a K20D with the special Japan-only extra-large grip.

Nevertheless, I prefer the grip and solid feeling of my K-7 now. In comparison, the K20D (or so-called pro bodies from Canikon) feel like the Communist-era tank-like SLRs from East Germany and Russia. They lack the elegance and sophistication any good tool should express somehow. That's my personal opinion.
09-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #389
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I had a K20D with the special Japan-only extra-large grip.

Nevertheless, I prefer the grip and solid feeling of my K-7 now. In comparison, the K20D (or so-called pro bodies from Canikon) feel like the Communist-era tank-like SLRs from East Germany and Russia. They lack the elegance and sophistication any good tool should express somehow. That's my personal opinion.
Western Germany had and has the same design things too... By the way.
09-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #390
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote

I still have a K10, I skipped k20 as I was still learning k10, thought I would buy the next body (k-7). I once even was in the store meaning to buy the great K-7, but when I held it in my hands, I simply did not like it, it felt like a toy to me, so I did not buy it.
That is exactly the same spot I am in. I thought I would by the K7 but as soon as I got my hands on it I didn't like it. Hope for something slightly bigger, no rubber doors and with bracketing button and SR button back.