Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2010, 07:05 AM   #406

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I read that you could send your K20D in to Hamburg and let it alternate. Never did it my self.
Pentax Canada was doing the same thing. It might have been a limited-time retrofit. I held a modified K20D and really liked the bigger size; the depth was just right. I couldn't part with my body so I never did it, which I kinda regret.

The K-7, for all it's other too-smallness, has a better grip depth.

09-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #407
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bodhi Quote
Sony SLT-A55 review updated with RAW on dpreview and still the K-X high ISO (6400) looks the best
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Or more probably it means that the new sensor performs about the same as the old one
I think you guys need to lighten up, the sensor got some superb praise.

QuoteQuote:
Coupled with what appears to be an excellent sensor
QuoteQuote:
The A55's 16.2MP CMOS sensor is new, and in collaboration with the camera's image processing, it offers excellent image quality.
QuoteQuote:
Detail capture is excellent at low ISO settings
QuoteQuote:
Overall, image quality gives little cause for complaint (and is often excellent)
QuoteQuote:
At lower ISO settings the A55 is able to resolve almost the same amount of visible detail as the Canon EOS 550D, which is currently the highest resolution camera in its class. Dynamic range is excellent too, at almost 9EV, which matches the best of the competition.
That sensor in a rugged K-7 weathersealed magnesium alloy body? Yes please.
09-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B.Rosenfeld Quote
I noticed that the sensors for the KR and K-x are both 12MP. This doesn't seem right. Shouldn't it be more? If not, then the sensors are almost identical and the only improvements are in the camera itself. This being the case, it would make more sense for someone to buy a K7 than a KR. On Amazon, the price for a K7 (body only) is $869. That's practically identical to $875 MSRP, less a lens, but lenses aren't that expensive. In addition, you'd get an additional 2MP instead of the same 12MP as it's predecessor. And when you consider who the entry level DSLRs are marketed towards, the soon-to-be-obsolete K7 would prove to be the better choice. In my opinion, K-x users shouldn't upgrade to the KR, they would be better off with a K7.
The flaw in your logic is the notion that more pixels makes the sensor better. I won't speak for everyone on the forum, but I would guess that a good number of people would strongly prefer a 12MP sensor with better dynamic range and lower noise to a 14MP sensor with less dynamic range and more noise.

I own both a K7 and Kx and although the K7 is a better camera than the Kx in many respects, high ISO performance is not once of them. So if the Kr can close that gap in high ISO performance and add a few features that the Kx is missing, I would say that there would be a significant number of people who might choose the Kr over the K7, even if the street prices are similar.
09-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #409

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The flaw in your logic is the notion that more pixels makes the sensor better. I won't speak for everyone on the forum, but I would guess that a good number of people would strongly prefer a 12MP sensor with better dynamic range and lower noise to a 14MP sensor with less dynamic range and more noise.

I own both a K7 and Kx and although the K7 is a better camera than the Kx in many respects, high ISO performance is not once of them. So if the Kr can close that gap in high ISO performance and add a few features that the Kx is missing, I would say that there would be a significant number of people who might choose the Kr over the K7, even if the street prices are similar.
+1 , I cannot agree more. However, I heard they are only going to announce kr this week. I have not heard anything for k5 yet. Hopefully, they were wrong. I cannot wait for the new k5 .

09-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #410

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We ultimately need to wait to see how the K-5 turns out before we judge it as either the greatest thing or a failure. I didn't think I would like the fact that the K-7 was smaller than my K-10, but considering how well the K-7 is build I now think it's a good thing. On the other hand the ISO noise wasn't that much improved over the K-20.

All of our present conversation, including my post here, is speculation at this point. Fun to do, but we will have to wait until the camera is reviewed and used to know how good it's going to be. I tend to trust Pentax and think it will probably be a real beauty.
09-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #411
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
We ultimately need to wait to see how the K-5 turns out before we judge it as either the greatest thing or a failure.

... we will have to wait until the camera is reviewed and used to know how good it's going to be. I tend to trust Pentax and think it will probably be a real beauty.
AGREE!

Whenever there get to be about 3000 or so samples on flickr, there will be a review or two and a number of review posts on this forum - then, and only then - will we have enough information about what the K-5 is all about.

I knew at that point for the K-7 I wouldn't be upgrading

besides I STILL want to see some sort of pointer that Pentax will be bringing a FF to market by next year
09-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #412
Veteran Member

what's the difference between K-7 and K-5?

I'm stilling trying to figure out what the major difference is between the K-7 and the K-5 (as its specs are presently understood). Can anybody sum up the MAJOR improvements supposedly offered by the K-5?

I don't care about video. So for me, the only thing that I can see in the specs list (which we know is unconfirmed) is the ability to shoot at higher ISOs. I'm guessing that's a one, to one and a half stop improvement over the K-7.

Is there anything else of major significance? I know there are the usual slew of nice little touches so characteristic of Pentax. But anything else major that would justify me spending $500-$600 more on a K-5, instead of buying a K-7 at this point?

Let me repeat: I know that nothing's for sure yet. But a lot of people here are really excited by the K-5, and many of them confess that they weren't excited about the K-7. So what's changed?

Will

09-14-2010, 11:51 PM   #413
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Can anybody sum up the MAJOR improvements supposedly offered by the K-5?
Price?...well, its an improvement in the Pentax books anyway!

Love that corgi image for your avatar, btw! I have two (one tri, one red) that I bought just outside of Dallas, TX before we moved to VA.
09-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #414
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

Let me repeat: I know that nothing's for sure yet. But a lot of people here are really excited by the K-5, and many of them confess that they weren't excited about the K-7. So what's changed?

Will
Many dismissed the K7 solely for its sensor (which is a valid point to take into account but the K7 really is much more than that).
The K5 finally gives those people the good reason (or pretext) to upgrade. If the AF is indeed better, those are the two major points against Pentax now improved. So the will buy.
09-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #415
Veteran Member

k5 better be hot

don't know if you saw but Nikon announced the D90 replacement yesterday @ $1200 for the body. K5 will have to be lower priced is my best guess
some specs
11 autofocus points has been increased to a whopping 39-point system, the megapixel count has been increased from 12.3 to 16.2, the 96% viewfinder coverage has been replaced with pro-level 100% coverage, parts are now beefed up with magnesium alloy, one SD card slot has been increased to two, 4.5 fps has been upped to 6fps, ISO can be boosted up to 25,600 (up from 6,400), and the camera now does 1080p video recording at 24fps.

It's going to be an interesting Fall from the looks of it, this is a pretty hot looking camera (not FF but then again neither are any of our beloved Pentaxs yet)
09-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #416
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-7's AF is already an improvement on the K20D's, and no doubt with SAFOX IX+ there will be yet a better system to be pleased about.
09-15-2010, 05:16 AM   #417
Inactive Account

When I put a FA 50mm f/1.4 on the K-7 and focus on something it feels like the screw driven AF motor is going to rip the lens apart ... I can't immagine how it can be any faster except for the accuracy and constant AF. It's almost the same with the 12-24, 35 ltd. and the 100 macro.
09-15-2010, 05:34 AM   #418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
When I put a FA 50mm f/1.4 on the K-7 and focus on something it feels like the screw driven AF motor is going to rip the lens apart ... I can't immagine how it can be any faster except for the accuracy and constant AF. It's almost the same with the 12-24, 35 ltd. and the 100 macro.
That's true, even in low-light. And in roughly 60% of the cases the FA 50mm will focus in one shot (with no small adjustments that make the Pentax AF so slow sometimes). I think we are not giving due to the progress made by Pentax along the years. And SAFOX IX proves to be even more sensitive and accurate. Improves AF-C algorithms and I'll be happy.
09-15-2010, 06:08 AM   #419
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That's true, even in low-light. And in roughly 60% of the cases the FA 50mm will focus in one shot (with no small adjustments that make the Pentax AF so slow sometimes). I think we are not giving due to the progress made by Pentax along the years. And SAFOX IX proves to be even more sensitive and accurate. Improves AF-C algorithms and I'll be happy.
Exactly my feelings, based as well on my K-7 use (prior, had an ist-D then a K10).