Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
If the "K5" has the specs listed and no major flaws, then I will be lining up to finally replace my old K10D... the higher ISO and fps are just what I need and will use for my bird photography...

Now I just wish Pentax would bring out a prime around 500mm and make it accessible to people outside of Japan...
Sigma has a 500mm F4.5 prime.

08-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Sigma has a 500mm F4.5 prime.
Yes, I am considering it... great photo's around on the net from that lens... just would LOVE to stick to Pentax glass if possible.
08-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I also question FF can really give you less noise. Yes and no I would suspect. If you fill up the viewing frame with a FF camera sure, I would think you would get a nice image with less noise. But when you crop it about 50%, I wouldn't think a FF would give you any better noise performance over an ASP-C sensor if all other things are equal.

This photo is about a 50% crop from my K-7:

Reddish Egret | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I had the ISO at 1000 when I took this with my K-7:

Polydamas Butterfly | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
If you crop half the photo away then enlarge to the same print size then yes, it will appear you have more noise. Your per pixel noise is the same though, you've just made it look bigger by stretching it out. Same can be said if you expand an APS-C image 40% to match a FF, it will look like hell. Larger pixel surface area means less noise plain and simple.

And if you don't believe FF makes a huge difference. See this example taken with the D3s at ISO6400
http://www.digitalrev.com/images/features/nikon_d3s_gallery/imgs/d3s_gallery05s.jpg

An APS-C like the K7 (especially the K7) can't even come close.
08-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #79

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I take that for granted. They are probably repeating the K10D->K20D trick. Smart way to dilute developing cost. The K-7 is a great body in every respect....
Not quite every. The focus point selection is worse than the rocker wheel of the K10D/K20D, which should be brought back.

08-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I really hope that the 6400 ISO will be clean and 12,800 very usable. I'm starting to shoot bands and weddings where flash isn't allowed and a tripod not practical. Having the extra 3-4 stops of shooting latitude will be much appreciated.

If these specs are true then it might be enough to keep me from lusting after the low-light capabilities of the D700 (and upcoming d800).

Now they just need to release a greater variety of lenses.

I also hope that the body is bigger than the K7 (i.e. the size of the k20d). The K7 is small in my hands.
Well the k-x has clean ISO6400 , if the K5 gives the same results then it's a winner

This is ISO6400 , no post-treatment at all

08-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Not quite every. The focus point selection is worse than the rocker wheel of the K10D/K20D, which should be brought back.
Yeah that rocker wheel, er, rocks.

That's one of the reasons that I stuck with the K20. What I'd really like, though is a K30D with an APS-H sensor, if it is available. And compatible with my K20 battery grips and batteries, thanks.
08-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
I hope for Pentax's sake it does live up to the specs. The K7 was supposed to be the "Canon killer" looking at the specs, but in reality fell short of the competition in many key factors, like focus speed, high ISO, and dynamic range. It beat the competition in build quality but that is a small factor when choosing a camera system, If it doesn't meet expectations they could lose a lot of Pentaxians who have been waiting to replace their K10 or K20.

Specs mean nothing if Pentax can't make good on them. Having an ISO of 25,600 isn't any good if it isn't a usable number. If ISO1600 is as good as you can use without too much PP, then a setting of 25600 is moot. Just saying that while the k7 has iso6400, I know past ISO2000 it's not worth my time to even bother because the quality goes down so quickly. A crop frame camera will never be able to match a full frame like the d700, the 7d, is faster, but loses in low light (it's fairly clean, but the pics are mushy). There is always some give and take at any price point.

The "leaked" specs are nice to see and hopefully it will be a good product for some Pentaxians to move up to. I'm still waiting for the full frame announcement though..........
I completely agree with you , allthough Pentax has allready made a body with extremely good high ISO possililities : the k-x
So if they can implement these perfomance into a 16m/p sensor then its a winner
Just look at the picture i added of the guy with the sunglasses
08-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxRev Quote
This past week I upgraded 10D to the K-7.

Still, I consider this an important upgrade because it shows Pentax remains committed to producing more great cameras. In spite of the fact that Pentax cameras are some of the best values for the dollar I believe neither of these new offerings is likely to make major strides into Canikon dominance.

However, with each new solid performer Pentax comes out with the company demonstrates that they are a truly legitimate choice for those of us who value quality over name. For those commtted to the best quality we can get at a truly reasonable price, Pentax will come through again.

I look forward to reading the reviews and to shooting with my K-7. I'm proud to be a Pentaxian. I love how the company listens to what we want and then tries to give it to us.
Well everyone asked for solid high ISO performance with the K7 because this was one of the biggest issues of the K10d , i remember being very dissapointed when i first saw the results of the K7 , so they didn't really listen to what people asked for (The Nikon D90 blew the K7 away with very clean ISO6400).
Pentax cannot afford such dissapointments and drawbacks from Other makes, if Canon and Nikon are to dominate the market , it should only be because of there more agressive marketing policies and not because they are superior in quality and features then Pentax

08-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicap Quote
16 MP sounds brilliant. But if the sensor is still the same size are we not just squeezing more pixels onto it which does not necessarily mean a sharper picture. Did I read a discussion somewhere about more pixels=more noise? I think one of the later Canikons has been criticised for this.
Completely right , Canon's 50d and 7D have been very criticised , up to now it looks like 12m/p sensors give the best quality high ISO performance (K-x , D90 , the Canon 450d is pretty good too at ISO1600).
When you see that Nikon decided to stay with 12m/p with there FF D700 allthough Canon tried 21 m/p with the 5d MarkII , from the 2 i much prefer the Nikon high ISO performance.
08-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #85

I think if the AF is improved and the price on Europe don't increase (as usually happen) could be interesting.
08-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Didn't falk "prove"/show it doesn't hurt performance, and it's just shutter blur?
Naah, I think he proved shutter blur. There is no proof that SR blur does not exist. Althouh I haven't tested scientfically SR seems to cause panning problem
08-23-2010, 12:56 AM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Naah, I think he proved shutter blur. There is no proof that SR blur does not exist. Althouh I haven't tested scientfically SR seems to cause panning problem
no problems with panning when SR is On.
08-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
AFAIK, the only prob with SR is when it is used on tripod.
Indedd my Tammy 500/8 on tripod with SR ON was busy moving all by itself.
It was funny (really) but useless.

Since it is known that SR should be disabled on tripod (it is on the manual, same with Sony AFAICR) there's no problem IMO. But on tripod I NEVER disable SR: never got any problem.
08-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
11 AF points in top camera? No. Thank you.
I seem to recall that the Nikon D2x has the same layout as the Pentax. Around the time that the D300 came out I remember the comments were that not a lot had changed in performance terms. Its the software and the sensitivity of the points that will make or break the AF system.
08-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #90
Veteran Member

I think its too early to tell if it worth the upgrade. I mean come on its not even out yet even with the specs on paper is not enough to tell. Real world testing once its out will tell if its worth it