Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery
wow it sounds like a great camera. Hope to find some more info in the next week. What CPU is in it? Screen on the back? Battery? And some more things.

Price is quit high. The K-7 had an startprice of $ 1300 so starting at $ 1650 is just a bit more then I have saved up till now. Still want it in oktober. Please make it come to me before oktober 15th because I have a job to do that day/weekend.

08-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
You've never seen a nervous bridesmaid, who has to pee, really hoof it down the isle after a ceremony then, have you?.
No. Not one that moves at 300 km/h or more....Thats what the AF can keep up with.....
08-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love the price of the K-7 Love the stats of the K-5

This past week I upgraded 10D to the K-7.

Still, I consider this an important upgrade because it shows Pentax remains committed to producing more great cameras. In spite of the fact that Pentax cameras are some of the best values for the dollar I believe neither of these new offerings is likely to make major strides into Canikon dominance.

However, with each new solid performer Pentax comes out with the company demonstrates that they are a truly legitimate choice for those of us who value quality over name. For those commtted to the best quality we can get at a truly reasonable price, Pentax will come through again.

I look forward to reading the reviews and to shooting with my K-7. I'm proud to be a Pentaxian. I love how the company listens to what we want and then tries to give it to us.
08-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I was going to get another K7 as a backup or secondary camera, but I think I will wait and see how everyone likes the K-5.

08-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #35
Forum Member

Steal this!

For those who may be weary of the oft-cited "workman blaming his tools" cliche, or words to the same effect, whenever a someone expresses a desire for technological improvement, may I will suggest the use of the following retort:

"Presently there exist tools the use of which seem to be able to compensate for whatever I might be lacking in skill. Therefore I submit that all toolmakers should aspire to build to this more recently established standard."

May I also suggest that it would be appropriate to dismiss, or at least give little weight to, the comments of anyone who uses the aforementioned cliche, or words to that effect, as an answer to complaints about Pentax AF or ISO performance if he/she does not provide access to a fairly sizable sample of his/her photographic work which was done indoors with available light, or outdoors of subjects in motion. If one is going to submit to condescension, let it be from someone who can readily demonstrate that they are at least familiar with the challenges one is facing.

Please note that I have assiduously avoided stating any personal opinion about the present state of Pentax cameras. My purpose here is to address the easily refutable "workman" cliche, and any similar sentiments however they may be worded.

Just sayin'.

-XM
08-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Will have to wait and see how well the low light and AF-C has improved and how much better that iso is......and hopefully they still maintained the K-7 size/ergonmics. If they did well in these, then it will be a winner.

Hope they announce some sweet lenses too.
08-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Will have to wait and see how well the low light and AF-C has improved and how much better that iso is......and hopefully they still maintained the K-7 size/ergonmics. If they did well in these, then it will be a winner.

Hope they announce some sweet lenses too.
amen to that!

08-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #38

16 MP sounds brilliant. But if the sensor is still the same size are we not just squeezing more pixels onto it which does not necessarily mean a sharper picture. Did I read a discussion somewhere about more pixels=more noise? I think one of the later Canikons has been criticised for this.
08-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No. Not one that moves at 300 km/h or more....Thats what the AF can keep up with.....
Have you tried catching a puffin flying towards you? I have - with the K20D, and I know it is hard. I tried three times this summer, with no luck. Now they are gone for the winter, so I'll have to wait till next spring.

I've never shot cars at 300 km/h, but I assume that their movements usually are easier to predict than incoming puffins.

So this ever repeated 300 km/h argument does not help me.
And it does not help Pentax to improve their tracking abilities.
08-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
"Presently there exist tools the use of which seem to be able to compensate for whatever I might be lacking in skill. Therefore I submit that all toolmakers should aspire to build to this more recently established standard."-XM
The misunderstanding is that there exist tools that compensate for the lack of skill. This is wrong. There are no AF system that can predict random movements. Nor are there any that will work if theres no contrast where the AF point is pointed at. Nor is there any that compensate for the fact that the photographer point the AF sensor in use at the wrong spot. These are the most common cuases for AF complaints.

I'm all for better high ISO performance. But lets be realistic. Andy Rouse, the wildlife photographer, has an image of a kingfisher shot most likely with a first generation Canon DSLR at an insane ISO value. It is till good enough to be included in a photography book in spite of noise. Even the worst noise makers are still better than Tri-X from the old days.
08-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Have you tried catching a puffin flying towards you?
Yes I have. With a Z-1p; on film that is.
I have also shot bumblebees in flight with the MZ-S. The difficulty, sometime bordering on the impossible, is to keep the focus point at the correct spot. Both puffins and bumblebees are incredibly difficult but it is a question of technique.
08-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #42

hoping to see some autofocus improvements too but regardless will wait till the price stablises abit and seen the reviews etc too - if its a good camera then i will upgrade - the increased fps and iso certainly be nice and extra 2 mp for cropping

also wanna see some new glass announced too
08-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #43

Yes I have. With a Z-1p; on film that is.
I have also shot bumblebees in flight with the MZ-S. The difficulty, sometime bordering on the impossible, is to keep the focus point at the correct spot. Both puffins and bumblebees are incredibly difficult but it is a question of technique.
thats why we want 3d tracking autofocus so we dont need to keep it on the focus point
08-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #44
Pentaxian

But problem I have is that I have never encountered any subject in natural world that move faster than AF
I encounter it every weekend over winter when I'm taking photos of rugby players. No way can the K-7 on AFC keep up with them. I still get lots of good shots though.
08-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
thats why we want 3d tracking autofocus so we dont need to keep it on the focus point
The problem with that is that you may end up having the wing tip of the bird in focus, not the eyes. All system needs to be mastered and rely on proper technique based on knowledge on how the system works.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-22-2010 at 04:13 PM.