Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a question...anyone know if the SR switch is coming back?

08-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #62
Inactive Account

or maybe a programmable option to turn on SR based on certain shutter speed/focal length combination? that would be superb
08-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Actually, the K-7 has clean ISO 1000 and more. This images is shot at 1000ISO, and as if that wasn't enough, it is cropped 50% as well. No noise reduction.

resizing IS noise reduction
08-22-2010, 07:04 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
or maybe a programmable option to turn on SR based on certain shutter speed/focal length combination? that would be superb
Didn't falk "prove"/show it doesn't hurt performance, and it's just shutter blur?

Last edited by Eruditass; 08-22-2010 at 07:19 PM.
08-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I think I would be REALLY pleased and tempted to update with better higher ISO. But a few other small things would REALLY push me over the edge namely better AF, higher flash sync (please please please sync at 1/250!!), and dual card slots.
08-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was surprised to see such announcement when I turned the computer on and logged in tonight.

I do a lot of bird photo, often under not so good lighting conditions, and let me tell you that two MAJOR improvements I would really like to see with this "K5" are:

- Better high ISO handling (read: noise handling at higher ISO ... such as 1250 and up); if the newcomer does a good job at ISO 1600-3200, that would make me a happy camper indeed.
- Better AF performance. I am still very suspicious that Pentax will not have improved much in terms of "subject acquisition" and AF lock-on features.

As for some of the other announced specs, the number of megapixels (16), and faster FPS (7) would not be the main reason(s) why I would switch to the K5 from my K20D and K7.

I seldom use flash, so a higher synch speed is not something that would make want to me change over either. However, I sure can appreciate that this would be a much wanted feature from a lot of users.

Maybe it will have more than one "USER" setting? That is one little addition which could prove rather interesting.

Lurchlarson would like to see the SR button come back ... I personally prefer having it "hidden" away so I don't trip it off accidentally when I need it. The K7 SR function is easily accessed and I hope Pentax has decided to keep it that way or make it safer.

I would certainly entertain the thought of acquiring the K5, and perhaps sell either my K20D or K7, but the ISO and AF issues have better been taken care of.

JP
08-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #67
Veteran Member

I would also like to see the new camera offering Tethering along with the higher flash shutter speed. I'm still using a K10D and I can't tell you how often I have to turn my SR on and off. I certainly don't want to have to access the SR via the menu.

08-22-2010, 09:06 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pål Jensen wrote:

"The misunderstanding is that there exist tools that compensate for the lack of skill. This is wrong."

Oh! OK. If someone decides to use my suggested retort, perhaps they'll argue otherwise.

"There are no AF system that can predict random movements. Nor are there any that will work if theres no contrast where the AF point is pointed at. Nor is there any that compensate for the fact that the photographer point the AF sensor in use at the wrong spot. These are the most common cuases for AF complaints."

Unchallenged. I'll just stand aside and watch you knock over the strawman you've propped up here.

"I'm all for better high ISO performance. But lets be realistic. Andy Rouse, the wildlife photographer, has an image of a kingfisher shot most likely with a first generation Canon DSLR at an insane ISO value. It is till good enough to be included in a photography book in spite of noise. Even the worst noise makers are still better than Tri-X from the old days."

Wildlife photographer, huh? Interesting that you'd offer this person as your example.

I would imagine that there are some people who are tired of being told what they should be able to do with their cameras by people who, as I stated in my previous post, have not "readily demonstrate[d] that they are at least familiar with the challenges one is facing." I am not aware if Andy Rouse, the wildlife photographer, is a participant in this forum, but if he were to make any declarative statement as to what could be done with Pentax equipment without providing fairly substantial proof of him having done it himself, I would argue that it would be completely appropriate to dismiss him/her out of hand. Photographic evidence is often considered the ultimate test of veracity--except, apparently, where it concerns discussions of the capabilities of photographic equipment. Ironic, huh?

Perhaps instead of endless lecturing about what can be done if only others possessed the skill, doubters could just be shown what can be done. And if those who could provide these demonstrations of Pentax cameras' capabilities were really generous in spirit, they might go so far as to provide tips so as to help others achieve those results.

Or people can just keep doing what they've been doing. I'm just sayin': a reasonable demand could be made that either one shows and proves or one should, in the parlance of our times, "STFU." But it's not for me to judge how others choose to recreate, so carry on.

-XM
08-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Lurchlarson would like to see the SR button come back ... I personally prefer having it "hidden" away so I don't trip it off accidentally when I need it. The K7 SR function is easily accessed and I hope Pentax has decided to keep it that way or make it safer.

I would certainly entertain the thought of acquiring the K5, and perhaps sell either my K20D or K7, but the ISO and AF issues have better been taken care of.

JP
I understand your reasoning and in someways agree. Maybe if Pentax were to include quick-switch customizable button that would allow you to quickly switch camera profiles.

One thing that would be nice is a "Quiet-Shutter" Mode.
08-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
No. Not one that moves at 300 km/h or more....Thats what the AF can keep up with.....
As someone who has shot speedskating and rollerderby (neither go 300kph). The former with both the k7 and 50d, and the latter with the k7 and D3s, (switched cameras with friends mid bout both times) I can say without a doubt that the k7 comes in a distant 3rd. Same person, same technique, vastly different results. Hardware does make a big difference in the number of keepers when speed is a factor.
08-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #71
ogl
Banned

11 AF points in top camera? No. Thank you.
08-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #72
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting prospects for these models.
Look forward to the prototypes in the flesh...

Whilst they're not revolutionary models, they are affordable enthusiast cameras and hopefully address the concerns raised for years about Pentax - good high ISO performance to ISO 6400 (at this stage of the game at least) and a more sophisticated AF system with better low-light focusing ability.

IMO, Pentax would do well to focus even more energy on upgrading their current lineup of DA* lenses...
08-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
resizing IS noise reduction
In response to:

(Pal Jensen)Actually, the K-7 has clean ISO 1000 and more. This images is shot at 1000ISO, and as if that wasn't enough, it is cropped 50% as well. No noise reduction.(end quote)

I agree with Pal Jensen's statement here as I have had similar experiences with my K-7 under stronger lighting conditions.

I notice I get more noise when I crop photos... There is no question about it from my experience.

I also question FF can really give you less noise. Yes and no I would suspect. If you fill up the viewing frame with a FF camera sure, I would think you would get a nice image with less noise. But when you crop it about 50%, I wouldn't think a FF would give you any better noise performance over an ASP-C sensor if all other things are equal.

This photo is about a 50% crop from my K-7:

Reddish Egret | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I had the ISO at 1000 when I took this with my K-7:

Polydamas Butterfly | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by traderdrew; 08-22-2010 at 10:06 PM.
08-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
11 AF points in top camera? No. Thank you.
In a flagship camera, pentax should have 51.
08-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #75
Veteran Member

If the "K5" has the specs listed and no major flaws, then I will be lining up to finally replace my old K10D... the higher ISO and fps are just what I need and will use for my bird photography...

Now I just wish Pentax would bring out a prime around 500mm and make it accessible to people outside of Japan...