Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 03:11 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by XMACHINA Quote
"There are no AF system that can predict random movements. Nor are there any that will work if theres no contrast where the AF point is pointed at. Nor is there any that compensate for the fact that the photographer point the AF sensor in use at the wrong spot. These are the most common cuases for AF complaints."

Unchallenged. I'll just stand aside and watch you knock over the strawman you've propped up here.
I just couldn't be bothered arguing. I take thousands of sports photos with the K-7. I know that it cannot keep up with a person running at, or near to, me.

08-23-2010, 03:22 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I just couldn't be bothered arguing. I take thousands of sports photos with the K-7. I know that it cannot keep up with a person running at, or near to, me.
True; my K-7 can't do that either. However, in normal AF-S and with normal subjects I do know that I get an almost 100% success rate, even with "difficult" lenses as the FA* 85/1.4 wide open. So I could not be more happier because the K-7 suits my shooting style well.
08-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #93
Pentaxian

I agree it's AFS is great! And in low light levels.
08-23-2010, 03:31 AM   #94
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I seem to recall that the Nikon D2x has the same layout as the Pentax. Around the time that the D300 came out I remember the comments were that not a lot had changed in performance terms. Its the software and the sensitivity of the points that will make or break the AF system.
Grandmother remembers how she was a girl.
D2X was announced on September,16, 2004...:ugh:
We are close to 2011.

08-23-2010, 04:39 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I will quote myself as it seems I was about smack on the money with some things.

I expect maybe some of the things like SDXC support not to be there, but who knows.
Anyway, I think if it is as good as the Canikon equivalents at high Iso and dynamic range then we are talking a very serious step for Pentax. I am not impressed by simply the name Sony though. I think way too much emphasis is placed of some sensor aspects. I much prefer the Samsung Cmos sensors to the Sony Cmos one for color reproduction. We will have to see.
If Pentax keeps the SAFOX-IX+ AF System then it probably wouldn't have predictive AF. I am sure the iso performance will improve to at least match the K-x. So, basically other than iso improvements it could just be some cosmetic revamping (7fps is just that to me....unless the buffer is markedly increased to maintain the fps). If it turns out to be this way, I will have no reason to upgrade my K-7....actually even with improved AF I still have no reason to, but I will be mighty tempted to try it out

P.S: dynamic range is nice, but it hasn't been a problem at all in real life use for me with the K-7, neither is low light focus.
08-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Well this very interesting. I was a K20D user who switched to a Canon EOS 7D because there seemed to be no hope of a decent upgrade path, but this K-5 is looking to be quite something if the rumours are true.

I just hope the AF-C and low light AF is seriously improved over previous models (particularly the K20D). I think that if the K-5 combines the awesome k-x image quality @ 16 MP with a large AF improvement in a nice fully weather sealed package then it'll be a superb camera (providing the price is competitively lower than the EOS 7D and D300s). All we need is an SDM overhaul then Pentax are back in the game.

Looking forward to the release and first reviews .
08-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got a K7 on order and it's been delayed to lack of stock. My K10D is broken.
So faced with a hugh dilemma here - do I cancel the order and wait for K5 and have no camera for 2 months?
Or stick with the K7 order?
Will the K5 be in UK by October?
Not expecting concrete answers, but just need to air my problem.

08-23-2010, 04:48 AM   #98
Inactive Account

if you can live without a camera for 2 months, then wait. remember though that,
unless cash is no object, you'll also be purchasing the new K5 at it's release price

don't know if it's an option for you, but a Kx is around $450ish these days. might be a better choice until the k5's prices settle. YMMV
08-23-2010, 04:53 AM   #99
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Well this very interesting. I was a K20D user who switched to a Canon EOS 7D because there seemed to be no hope of a decent upgrade path, but this K-5 is looking to be quite something if the rumours are true.

I just hope the AF-C and low light AF is seriously improved over previous models (particularly the K20D). I think that if the K-5 combines the awesome k-x image quality @ 16 MP with a large AF improvement in a nice fully weather sealed package then it'll be a superb camera (providing the price is competitively lower than the EOS 7D and D300s). All we need is an SDM overhaul then Pentax are back in the game.

Looking forward to the release and first reviews .
7D???? Do you have any real sharp photos from this camera?
08-23-2010, 04:55 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
So, basically other than iso improvements it could just be some cosmetic revamping.
Impossible. They had one year to get the K-7 successor right and I'm sure they were already working on it when the K-7 hit the shelves. I expect some rather interesting upgrades in all aspects.

Please remember, everyone... The K-7 has a bad rep because of the "bad" high-ISO, but let's not forget that the K-7 is a MUCH better body than current K10D and K20D users realize. It's not about the specs on paper, it's how it handles in real life.

1. Near perfect AF in AF.S, even in artificial lighting
2. Auto WB that's second to none
3. Near perfect dust removal (never had to touch my Arctic Butterfly since I bought my K-7 1 year and 2 months ago (!!!), and I change lenses on a daily basis)
4. Great Live View (IMHO)
5. 100% Viewfinder coverage

These, together with the other nice additions (horizon correction, PF removal, Magnesium-alloy body, etc. etc) make the K-7 such an attractive and well-performing camera. Especially given its price point and build quality.

I came from a K20D and I'm getting sick of current K20D users who think that the K-7 is not a real upgrade. Those users don't know what they are talking about...
08-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
7D???? Do you have any real sharp photos from this camera?
Dozens and dozens of razor sharp images.
08-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
If Pentax keeps the SAFOX-IX+ AF System then it probably wouldn't have predictive AF. I am sure the iso performance will improve to at least match the K-x. So, basically other than iso improvements it could just be some cosmetic revamping (7fps is just that to me....unless the buffer is markedly increased to maintain the fps). If it turns out to be this way, I will have no reason to upgrade my K-7....actually even with improved AF I still have no reason to, but I will be mighty tempted to try it out

P.S: dynamic range is nice, but it hasn't been a problem at all in real life use for me with the K-7, neither is low light focus.
From what I know the camera will actually be able to do true 7fps.

I dare say it'll be quite similar in specs to the new Sony A580 that will also include the same new 16mp sensor.

And have a few other nice little features, sure it won't be the super quantum leap from the K-7 (ie to FF) that so many people have unrealistic expectations, but it is a logical upgrade like the K-7 was from the K20D.
08-23-2010, 05:08 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Impossible. They had one year to get the K-7 successor right and I'm sure they were already working on it when the K-7 hit the shelves. I expect some rather interesting upgrades in all aspects.

But, within that year they also developed the K-x and the 645D and trying to sell the division, hopfully this didn't affect there developmental pace.
Please remember, everyone... The K-7 has a bad rep because of the "bad" high-ISO, but let's not forget that the K-7 is a MUCH better body than current K10D and K20D users realize. It's not about the specs on paper, it's how it handles in real life.

100% completely agree with it, as I've said it before the best feature by far with the K-7 is how much of a joy it is to hold and use on the go...WOW!
3. Near perfect dust removal (never had to touch my Arctic Butterfly since I bought my K-7 1 year and 2 months ago (!!!), and I change lenses on a daily basis)

These, together with the other nice additions (horizon correction, PF removal, Magnesium-alloy body, etc. etc) make the K-7 such an attractive and well-performing camera. Especially given its price point and build quality.

I came from a K20D and I'm getting sick of current K20D users who think that the K-7 is not a real upgrade. Those users don't know what they are talking about...

I agree with all of this as well....actually this is what I was trying to say - K-7 is so good the K-5 has to be a amazing for me to upgrade. I am very happy with my K-7even in low light and DR was only a problem in paper and not in real life. I of course will take the K-x iso performance or predictive focus of Canikon....One year for R&D, but Pentax is quite a bit behind AF-C compared to Canikon, by much, much more than just a year, and I serioulsy doubt they've done much with the K-5now either.
08-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Grandmother remembers how she was a girl.
D2X was announced on September,16, 2004...:ugh:
We are close to 2011.
Yet the 2004 D2x was comparable to the D300 with the 51 point AF system. and the 51 AF system is used in every top nikon now. Or am I missing something. and the D2h also used the same AF system from 2003.

Anyway, I will not be disappointed by the system unless I try it. You should do the same.
We do not really know enough about the Safox 9 system on APS-c to make any real judgment.
We do not know how sensitive the sensors are, the speed of the system, the accuracy. we will wait and see.
08-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

Very true, in terms of the build quality the K-7 is unmatched in its price point. The Canon 5DmkII whilst been a great camera does not have the same solid feel, it's feels like a solid rugged camera that can take abuse whereas the 5D feel like it'll fall apart with minor abuse.

The High ISO bad-rep is not really fair, you can get very clean High ISO images with the K-7 is you use it right, ie shoot raw, slightly over expose and have the latest firmware updates.

My only gripe with the K-7 is the AF is not the standard of the Canon, under low-light and high-contrast situations it can hunt and struggle, but it's deficiencies are easily outmatched by its strengths.