Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #121
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
...that the K-7 behaves differently. SR is automatically shut off in certain circumstances, like when using 2-second delay (which I often use when shooting on a tripod), bulb mode, and I think maybe even when shooting flash...
At least bulb and delay disable SR on the K20D too.

08-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Well, I'm in the market for a second body, and I've already decided that I'm getting the K5 no matter what is or is not improved. I love my K7, and now they're bringing out an improved model? ...yes, please. I only hope (though I'm beginning to doubt) that I can have it in my hands before 10/16, when I'm going on a trip. I can even imagine selling my K7 next spring and getting a second K5, after the prices have dropped. Man, I can't wait for the official announcement to find out what kinds of goodies I'm getting on my new camera!
08-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aragondina Quote
If you crop half the photo away then enlarge to the same print size then yes, it will appear you have more noise. Your per pixel noise is the same though, you've just made it look bigger by stretching it out. Same can be said if you expand an APS-C image 40% to match a FF, it will look like hell. Larger pixel surface area means less noise plain and simple.

And if you don't believe FF makes a huge difference. See this example taken with the D3s at ISO6400
http://www.digitalrev.com/images/features/nikon_d3s_gallery/imgs/d3s_gallery05s.jpg

An APS-C like the K7 (especially the K7) can't even come close.
For shooting people inside a structure, I would think I would perfer a FF camera. For sport and wildlife shooters like me, APS-C will do just fine.

So far I like what I see from the K-5. The only thing I don't like from my K-7 is it tends to suffer in lower light. As you can see, I can still produce great photos from it. It is how you use your camera and your flash and the ideal conditions you are shooting in.

It is easy to get emotional and pass quick judgements over a camera. I have done some research on other cameras and the K-7 is a better low light performer than some other major brand cameras out there.
08-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #124
Veteran Member

You guys take this stuff to seriously. "Catastrophic" is an earthquake or tsunami or hurricane. Not having a lens you want is an inconvenience. Seriously.

And yes, if you don't like what a particular company offers you can can change brands. It's not a big deal, nor should you care what anyone thinks about your camera purchase. It's your camera why would you care what someone else thinks about your camera?

08-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i went to the Kx because the K7 lowered high iso performance... So ill move to a K5 because i miss my dual dials
08-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I understand your reasoning and in someways agree. Maybe if Pentax were to include quick-switch customizable button that would allow you to quickly switch camera profiles.

One thing that would be nice is a "Quiet-Shutter" Mode.
That would be nice to have; I am under the impression that this just might not be happening on this K5 though. Why? From what I read in the OP, Pentax seem to be concentrating on the ISO issue, mainly.

I find the K7 shutter very quiet, after having owned the K10D and (still have it) the K20D. I am told that this is one of the quietest shutter around (K7). If Pentax succeds in making it quieter, the better then.

JP
08-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Only more rumors really

"Pentax has begun releasing technical data..."

Where has Pentax released any data... ? from the South Pole - Inner Earth Division? again?

I find it it both amusing and goofy that PF's has announced anything. Interesting rumors, but nothing solid, especially the price.

I'll guess they might up the price from $1299 from the last model to maybe $100-150. but I'll still wait 5-6 months for things to settle and to get a good idea of the ups and downs of the new model.

Why not get everyone worried about the high price, then announce a lower price, - lots of people feel relief and more likely to buy.

Marketing.

08-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote

Sure higher ISO performance is great. But lets be realistic; every DSLR can shoot at ISO values that was pure science fiction a few years ago with a quality that is publishable in fine art form.

This is the eternal refrain, Pål unfortunately, we're comparing current bodies to other current bodies, and wondering where to best send our hard-earned cash - not comparing current bodies to 2005 bodies.

It's a relative evaluation, and money is involved. Using phrases like 'not good enough' does not indicate an absolute evaluation, but rather a comparative one.

If body A does X and costs $Y, then body B that costs ($Y * 1.2) should do something greater than X.

Also - improved very high-ISO does not provide science fiction results, it simply provides two or three times the shutter speeds in similar situations, hopefully better color, etc. Your 1/15s shot becomes a 1/60s shot, and your subject motion blur goes away. Your shots start looking really sharp, even in tough lighting. No Sci-fi situation there.

08-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
If Pentax keeps the SAFOX-IX+ AF System then it probably wouldn't have predictive AF. I am sure the iso performance will improve to at least match the K-x. So, basically other than iso improvements it could just be some cosmetic revamping (7fps is just that to me....unless the buffer is markedly increased to maintain the fps). If it turns out to be this way, I will have no reason to upgrade my K-7....actually even with improved AF I still have no reason to, but I will be mighty tempted to try it out

P.S: dynamic range is nice, but it hasn't been a problem at all in real life use for me with the K-7, neither is low light focus.
I totally agree with you here, concerning the AF: if Pentax decides NOT to improve on this, I might as well wait for yet a future upgrade of the "K5".
As for ISO issues, even if Pentax gives us USEABLE high ISO with the K5, as long as the AF stays the same as the K7, again I will postpone any purchase, at least until serious reviews and tests come out and tell us what that K5 really is capable of.
Time will tell - soon enough now -
08-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #130
Veteran Member

According to Digcam-info

"We received a Release provides information about the publication date and specification of new digital SLR from Pentax readers."

from Pentax readers?

This is google translated stuff from a Japanese rumor website.

So exciting, more rumors! Isn't it fun going in circles?
08-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
...with the K5, as long as the AF stays the same as the K7, again I will postpone any purchase...
Agreed also.
08-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(Rhetorical question) Why do all discussions degenerate into auto focus, high iso or SDM discussions?

Those who complain about auto focus with Pentax act like something changed. Pentax used to have amazing auto focus, comparable to other companies and then, suddenly it didn't. Well, I have been shooting Pentax for roughly 12 years and the knock on it the whole time was that the auto focus was not great and that if you were a sport shooter you should consider another brand. This is not just because of camera bodies, but also lenses.

SDM does tend to be on the slow side. In addition, Pentax makes lenses that can be manual focused fairly easily. Unfortunately, this often means a longer focus throw and it take the lens longer to get there. Lenses like the DA 40 and the kit lens, that have very short focus throws actually have very rapid auto focus. I am amazed at how fast the kit lens is, particularly in comparison to the DA * 50-135 which is glacial in comparison.

All of this is to say that Pentax has not changed over time, people's expectations have changed. I too, hope for improvements, but the idea that Pentax will suddenly become Canon/Nikon is not a faint possibility.
08-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I'd like to see one full-sized photo...Please. I've a lot of RAW from 7D.
I can't get really good photos from this camera.
Here is a 100% crop of the eye from the the shot you requested.

08-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #134
Veteran Member

I disagree with statements about SDM lenses being slow because of SDM.
I have the DA 17-70 f/4 SDM lens and it is among the fastest focusing lenses that I own - faster than FA 50 f/1.7 and comparable in speed to the FA 135 f/2.8 which is fast focusing indeed. Faster than 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 and faster than the 18-55 kit zooms etc.

But, the DA 17-70 has a short focus throw.
The 50-135 has a longer focus throw. The DA Star 55 has even longer focus throw.
17-70 SDM is faster than 50-135 which is faster than 55 and 55 is among the slowest focusing Pentax lenses. Because of SDM? No, but because of the focus throw!

Now, the lenses with double AF systems has been found to have similar AF speed regardless of SDM or screwdriven focus. Again, it is the focus throw that determines the speed.

Oh, and Pentax screwdriven AF was the fastest AF around in the 90's. The Z-1p was fast focusing and so was the MZ-S. Even the screwdriven Pentax MZ-5 ran circles against the in-lens AF motor driven Canon EOS 50. So in the 90's - in-lens AF meant turtle focus and screwdriven AF was rabbit focus!

I believe most has got the "in lens AF must be faster"-thing from Canon commercials and ads. Screwdriven AF can be as fast and even be faster. It is not about the technology in itself, but how it is implemented.

I do like SDM - because it makes less noise.
08-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #135

Photos: Albums
My K-7 has been adequate for me. My main gripes are AF, DR and High ISO performance.

AF-C
Now some may say that it's user error, but consider this. I have tried dozens of times to shoot my kids riding on bicycles either towards me or across from me with AF-C - almost never AF was able to follow them with good focus and pics are a bit OOF. I seem to get better results with F8.0, locked AF at guessed distance. But then what is the point of AF-C?

DR
Under normal conditions DR is not a problem. It has been a problem for me under intense sun in the mountains (thin air, more sunlight?). There the shadows are too dark. I can resolve this by upping the EV, than everything is brighter and background is more washed out or using a filter. But again, sensor does not handle this on it's own.

High ISO
Tried shooting at ISO 800 at churches and F2.4-F2.8, because of low light. Pics are OK, a bit noisy, but Nikon D300 person next to me got MUCH BETTER pictures than me. Her technique was better?

Megapixels
Frankly, for me a 12MP sensor is big enough, if it delivers good High ISO performance.