Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #151

if this is going to be the new flagship camera from pentax i will stick with my k7 as i still have not explored all the possibilities of it yet. what pray tell is the difference between 14.6mp and 16mp 18mp would have been better who in there right mind will shoot at 25600iso except to experiment and how often do you need 7fps over 5.2fps frankly not much of an improvement. cameraboy

08-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
I have the DA 17-70mm, and it is pedestrian at best. Yes, the SDM is nice but it's far from fast.
Perhaps on your K20D, but on my K-7 with the latest firmware it is better than pedestrian.
08-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Perhaps on your K20D, but on my K-7 with the latest firmware it is better than pedestrian.
I've heard the 17-70 is a lot speeider than the 50-135, is that true?

I can't complain my 50-135 excellent with AF-C especially.
08-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #154

QuoteOriginally posted by cameraboy Quote
if this is going to be the new flagship camera from pentax i will stick with my k7 as i still have not explored all the possibilities of it yet. what pray tell is the difference between 14.6mp and 16mp 18mp would have been better who in there right mind will shoot at 25600iso except to experiment and how often do you need 7fps over 5.2fps frankly not much of an improvement. cameraboy
It could be a Sony sensor and logic set, instead of the current Samsung. That right there might be the difference in low-light performance and shutter speed, possibly AF too.

Personally, I'm going to watch how far the K7 falls in price, and then decide if I'm going to upgrade to a K7 or this new K body from my K20D. I have a Kx as a backup as well.

08-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
In response to:

(Pal Jensen)Actually, the K-7 has clean ISO 1000 and more. This images is shot at 1000ISO, and as if that wasn't enough, it is cropped 50% as well. No noise reduction.(end quote)

I agree with Pal Jensen's statement here as I have had similar experiences with my K-7 under stronger lighting conditions.

I notice I get more noise when I crop photos... There is no question about it from my experience.

I also question FF can really give you less noise. Yes and no I would suspect. If you fill up the viewing frame with a FF camera sure, I would think you would get a nice image with less noise. But when you crop it about 50%, I wouldn't think a FF would give you any better noise performance over an ASP-C sensor if all other things are equal.

This photo is about a 50% crop from my K-7:

Reddish Egret | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I had the ISO at 1000 when I took this with my K-7:

Polydamas Butterfly | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

same here,2000asa and i see more noise now in 600pix than before in original size
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-dslr-discussion/57787d...e-k7__0190-jpg
08-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I've heard the 17-70 is a lot speeider than the 50-135, is that true?

I can't complain my 50-135 excellent with AF-C especially.
sure it is,but you compare complete different constructions!!!!
17-70 consumer,lightweight mechanic and tube,very short focusway,50-135 much more weight,much longer focusway.
not to compare.
same you compare a macro lens with the 2,0/35mm
andy
08-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
sure it is,but you compare complete different constructions!!!!
17-70 consumer,lightweight mechanic and tube,very short focusway,50-135 much more weight,much longer focusway.
not to compare.
same you compare a macro lens with the 2,0/35mm
andy
i dont dig such a explanation... consumer zoom faster than professional lens? Tell something like this to canikonians... 16-85 faster than 70-200vr2 because 16-85 is plasticky lightweit and wobbly.... you'll hear the laugh(if it was a true... fact is 70-200vr2 heavy and bulky is the fastest lens iv ever checked)!!!

08-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #158

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
For shooting people inside a structure, I would think I would perfer a FF camera. For sport and wildlife shooters like me, APS-C will do just fine.

So far I like what I see from the K-5. The only thing I don't like from my K-7 is it tends to suffer in lower light. As you can see, I can still produce great photos from it. It is how you use your camera and your flash and the ideal conditions you are shooting in.

It is easy to get emotional and pass quick judgements over a camera. I have done some research on other cameras and the K-7 is a better low light performer than some other major brand cameras out there.
I agree that knowing how to use the camera is important, and I've gotten great photos from mine as well, it just (in my experience) falls short in many key factors that I (personally) require. This is from over 6 months and 13000 shots of experience with the K7 that I have formed my opinion of it. In good light for the majority of people it is an excellent camera. If you need speed, and / or want to shoot in less than good light it falls behind the competition fast.

I like the specs from the K5, I have not seen one yet as it is still just a rumour, unless you've held one (holding out on us are you....) I hope it's good, but we won't know for sure till a reliable, thorough, independent review is published. It would be wise for Pentax to have it in the reviewers hands now, and not wait 6 months like with another camera I won't mention.....

I'm hoping they are playing coy and it will be the rumoured 16mp full frame sensor of the d700 replacement, and not the APS-C version. And a bigger (man sized) body would be nice too
08-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
i dont dig such a explanation... consumer zoom faster than professional lens? Tell something like this to canikonians... 16-85 faster than 70-200vr2 because 16-85 is plasticky lightweit and wobbly.... you'll hear the laugh(if it was a true... fact is 70-200vr2 heavy and bulky is the fastest lens iv ever checked)!!!

can laugh how long you want.
pentax is using different drives and uses in the old *line the way of the long focusway.
the construction is absolut different.
canon 18-55 usm is also much faster than the 2,8 400 usm
and in real focusareas the 17-70 is not realy faster,only the complete drive from close to endless is much faster,because has a shorte way to drive.
sure,the 50-135 is not the fastest,but fast enough for most action i capture.
next lens generations on new cameras are much faster
08-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
can laugh how long you want.
pentax is using different drives and uses in the old *line the way of the long focusway.
the construction is absolut different.
canon 18-55 usm is also much faster than the 2,8 400 usm
and in real focusareas the 17-70 is not realy faster,only the complete drive from close to endless is much faster,because has a shorte way to drive.
sure,the 50-135 is not the fastest,but fast enough for most action i capture.
next lens generations on new cameras are much faster
you are trying to be malicious... ok give me an example of L lens which is slower than 18-55 from more or less the same age of photography dont compare 17 years old lens to nowadays one even if its full amatour/consumer. why dont you pick something like 1000mm lens and compare it to 18-55 so the comparision can justifyyour explanation...

Last edited by filorp; 08-23-2010 at 05:55 PM.
08-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you are trying to be malicious... ok give me an example of L lens which is slower than 18-55 from more or less the same age of photography dont compare 17 years old lens to nowadays one even if its full amatour/consumer. why dont you pick something like 1000mm lens and compare it to 18-55 so the comparision can justifyyour explanation...
I've tried the L 35-350 on a Canon pro body and it is slower to focus than anything Pentax have put out ever. In fact, it is so slow that I believed that the camera wasn't turned on! It also flare indoors on 40W light bulbs something no Pentax lens has ever done...
08-23-2010, 06:08 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I disagree with statements about SDM lenses being slow because of SDM.
The DA* 16-50/2.8 is the slowest focusing lens I own. It is the only Pentax lens where I would admit that AF speed could be an issue. All my screwdrive lenses, the Limiteds and the FA* 200 macro and 600/4, are very snappy in AF.
08-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #163
Veteran Member

great.....they understand nothing
i never try to be malicious......i only know how lenses are made and were the problems and differents are coming from.
sorry for that extreme example,but the compare of different constructions are problematic.
and i know about the medium speed of the 50-135.i use the lens daily
08-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #164
Veteran Member

gods of finance willing I will be purchasing the k5

I personally want an SLR with HD video and the k7 is temping, I just can't justify upgrading so quickly. K5 though has enough to make me want to upgrade. Better high ISO is fantastic, 7fps is great for me and the normal Pentax build quality is what I desire.

I know a lot of people want something with specs to brag about but for me photography is about having a tool that will not hold you back. Not that the k20d holds me back, there are just features (like hd video) that I desire.

I look forward to having a k5 in my hand and a k20d on my hip!
08-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #165
Veteran Member

when you like the body of k-7,you will like the k-5.
when the autofocus is in the same range of going forward,like the other stuff,than it will be a great k-7 follower