Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The DA* 16-50/2.8 is the slowest focusing lens I own. It is the only Pentax lens where I would admit that AF speed could be an issue. All my screwdrive lenses, the Limiteds and the FA* 200 macro and 600/4, are very snappy in AF.
my da*16-50 is my favourite lens reg af speed... the slower is 43f1.9 im excluding beeeg zooms because its obvious that such kind of multielement lenses always will be slower it shouldn't happend when you compare 3x zooms in 16-200mm range.... its no ok when you compare macro and normal lens as well..

08-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #167
Veteran Member

In answer to the original question...

Not if it's APS-C!
08-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
when you like the body of k-7,you will like the k-5.
when the autofocus is in the same range of going forward,like the other stuff,than it will be a great k-7 follower
Going a bit OT here but I think people underrate their own skills (this is a reply to all of the "AF is inferior" type posts we've seen lately)

Personally if I'm shooting a moving object I do one of three things.
1)Switch to center point only, hold down the AF button and fire a burst as I keep the center point down on the moving object.

2) Focus manually with a smooth consistent resistance AF lens like something in the Pentax A series. Seriously, the camera doesn't understand movement the way you do. If you can track objects well and have experience being able to visualize what depth field you can expect, you can 3d track with a manual focus lens better than any camera could with 3d AF.

3) Leave it in multi point mode and hope for the best.

90% of the time my camera is in AF-C and center AF point. When I bought this camera it was my first DSLR and I was concerned about AF points, speed and all of that wonderful stuff. I almost spend the extra few hundred for the insane many AF point system on the d300. Now that I actually take pictures with a DSLR its a bit of an afterthought.
08-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
Going a bit OT here but I think people underrate their own skills (this is a reply to all of the "AF is inferior" type posts we've seen lately)

1)Switch to center point only, hold down the AF button and fire a burst as I keep the center point down on the moving object.

2) Focus manually with a smooth consistent resistance AF lens like something in the Pentax A series. Seriously, the camera doesn't understand movement the way you do. If you can track objects well and have experience being able to visualize what depth field you can expect, you can 3d track with a manual focus lens better than any camera could with 3d AF.

3) Leave it in multi point mode and hope for the best.

90% of the time my camera is in AF-C and center AF point. When I bought this camera it was my first DSLR and I was concerned about AF points, speed and all of that wonderful stuff. I almost spend the extra few hundred for the insane many AF point system on the d300. Now that I actually take pictures with a DSLR its a bit of an afterthought.
I was reasonably happy with center point until I began to shoot aerobatics as well as, and especially, my twin toddlers. My daughter's, actually, but you get the point.

I need, I think, the ability to pick a subject and allow the camera to stay focused on one as it moves around the viewfinder. It's rare that one of the twins is in the center of the composition I want - at least when they're in (rapid and unpredictable) motion. Same for aircraft, particularly in pairs.

I think I'm looking for tracking and perhaps predictive AF. Does this all make sense? Or perhaps others are right - I simply haven't learned enough photography.

08-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
i dont dig such a explanation... consumer zoom faster than professional lens? Tell something like this to canikonians... 16-85 faster than 70-200vr2 because 16-85 is plasticky lightweit and wobbly.... you'll hear the laugh(if it was a true... fact is 70-200vr2 heavy and bulky is the fastest lens iv ever checked)!!!
As the owner of the 70-200 L f2.8 MKII I can say 3 of my pentax lenses focus ( infinity to close and back, full rack ) faster than it, it's fast but not as fast as my DA 70, 16-45 or 40mm limited. It does kick the snot out of the 50-135 and just about every other zoom lens I have tried.
08-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
when you like the body of k-7,you will like the k-5.
when the autofocus is in the same range of going forward,like the other stuff,than it will be a great k-7 follower
this is a "when" as in "this is a fact"
or ....
this is a "when" as in "if"

?
08-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lots of noise about cameras that nobody has seen. Specs sound good. I'll wait and see the DPReview tests, then wait for the initial price to drop. Getting all worked up about rumors is bad for the bile or something.

08-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Lots of noise about cameras that nobody has seen. Specs sound good. I'll wait and see the DPReview tests, then wait for the initial price to drop. Getting all worked up about rumors is bad for the bile or something.
Well the new A55 tests are mostly up on DPR now.

Image Quality

The A55's 16.2MP CMOS sensor is new, and in collaboration with the camera's image processing, it offers excellent image quality. Detail capture is excellent at low ISO settings, though strong noise reduction does take its toll on detail at anything over ISO 400 (though it must be said that we're talking pixel-level detail here, which isn't something most people are going to worry about when shooting at ISO 1600).

Although we are currently unable to take a detailed look at the A55's RAW output, JPEG image quality is promising, and - for normal viewing magnifications, remains useable up to ISO 12,800 in a pinch. At lower ISO settings the A55 is able to resolve almost the same amount of visible detail as the Canon EOS 550D, which is currently the highest resolution camera in its class. Dynamic range is excellent too, at almost 9EV, which matches the best of the competition.

If this is the actual sensor to be used in the K-5 it looks good so far.
08-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #174
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Well the new A55 tests are mostly up on DPR now.

Image Quality

Detail capture is excellent at low ISO settings, though strong noise reduction does take its toll on detail at anything over ISO 400

Although we are currently unable to take a detailed look at the A55's RAW output, JPEG image quality is promising

Visible loss of detail at anything over ISO 400 (noise reduction too strong)

If this is the actual sensor to be used in the K-5 it looks good so far.
I don't care JPEG IQ. But...No details at ISO over 400, worse colours and contrast = no IQ.

Anyway, the difference of work of in-camera processors could be huge.
Software is very important thing.
08-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #175

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't care JPEG IQ. But...No details at ISO over 400, worse colours and contrast = no IQ.
The quality of 16 mp was not pleasant to me too
08-24-2010, 12:42 AM   #176
Pentaxian

"No details"? None at all? That's what you read in the review?
Two things to consider:
a. Pentax is not Sony
b. A proper DSLR, unlike those "SLT" thingies, would send all the light to the sensor - during exposure.
08-24-2010, 12:59 AM   #177
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Two things to consider:
a. Pentax is not Sony
b. A proper DSLR, unlike those "SLT" thingies, would send all the light to the sensor - during exposure.
We see pictures...And pictures are really no good or bad.
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/sony-slt-a55-review-samples
08-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
this is a "when" as in "this is a fact"
or ....
this is a "when" as in "if"

?
if and hope for
that´s the unknown point
08-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Two things to consider:
a. Pentax is not Sony
Imaging Resource also has a full review of the a-55, and when comparing their doll picture at ISO 3200 with the same picture from the K-x, there's an incredible lack of detail in the a-55 photo. I tried scaling both pictures down to 6mp, and even then, the level of detail in textures is better in the K-x picture.

BUT... as you say, Pentax is not Sony, and if I compare the K-x with the A-500 (which presumably uses a similar 12mp sensor?), the K-x has far better detail AND less chroma noise.

So I don't think there's any need to worry after seeing this.
08-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote

This is true, and I also use the centre point the most when I'm shooting moving subjects, but it's not always the best for good composition, even taking cropping into consideration.