Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #211
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
And frankly, this camera is becoming just too small.
nobody is forcing you to buy it, so why all the worries ?

08-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #212
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nobody worries. Simply discuss.
08-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #213
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
And why shouldn't a Pentax cost more than a NIkon or a Canon? Is it some kind of natural law?
People don't seem to understand the economy of scale advantages that Canon or Nikon have WRT pricing.
Pentax spending a couple of decades doing their level best to be the cheap guys on the block isn't helping them right now either.
08-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I agree, just look at the Canon 7D!
In Canada, it has settled between 1500 and 1800 dollars, and that's an established market value!
Considering the K-5 is poised to come-in with higher specs at a lower price, I think Pentax is set to do a wonderful thing.
Besides... for anyone finding the prosumer price to steep, there is plenty of selection bellow that as well.
With all due respect, are you serious?

You state this as if you consider Canon and Pentax on equal footing; which is NOT the case.

The average consumer (or prosumer) is absolutely inundated with Canon ads... or any other camera manufacturer except Pentax. Many or most don't know anything about Pentax, and possibly even consider Pentax a clone type brand. This is unfortunate and it doesn't help matters when camera dealers will sway customers towards either Canon or Nikon.

That said, it is quite likely that the K-5 (again, the model numbers are ridiculous!) will primarily be of interest with those who already have an investment in Pentax products.

Anyhow, my point is that I believe the camera is priced too high. Given a choice, and perhaps lacking a little knowledge about Pentax, consumers will likely buy a Canon 7D over a Pentax K-5.... a decision based on name rather than pure specifications or price. But it also seems as though the K-5 will price out HIGHER THAN A Canon 7D! WTH?

Last edited by pentaxmz; 08-24-2010 at 09:33 PM.
08-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
People don't seem to understand the economy of scale advantages that Canon or Nikon have WRT pricing.
Pentax spending a couple of decades doing their level best to be the cheap guys on the block isn't helping them right now either.
There is no doubt that Pentax profit margins are lower than then Canon/Nikon. But when you are at the bottom of the barrel (in terms of market share), you have no choice but to try to win consumers over by competitive pricing strategy.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, Pentax really needs to spend a few 10's of millions on advertising (not just their cheap line, but also their prosumer line)!

Why not gorilla/viral advertising? It is next to free and even more effective than traditional advertising. My opinion is that Pentax is clueless about how to attract new consumers (again, I am not talking about their cheap point and shoots - which already do relatively well)!
08-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax. They already have pro AF (they all have; every AF problem I've so far seen documented have turned out to be user error). Noise is no problem todays digital camera and rumor has it that the 16mp sensor is in the D700 territory noise wise (certainly much better image quality wise). Pretty bad, huh?
Huh Pål, whicha talk'n bout??

Clearly you are not talking about my loved/hated K20D. Because its AF is sub par, especially in low contrast conditions. When the K20D begins to consistently fail on AF, my other camera (of similar price, specs, and lens) continually auto focuses about 3x faster and with 100% consistency.

I also noted that my 11 year old Pentax MZ-S focuses more reliably and faster than my K20D. If anyone owns a MZ-S, go check this out for yourself.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 08-24-2010 at 09:53 PM.
08-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #217
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I also noted that my 11 year old Pentax MZ-S focuses more reliably and faster than my K20D. If anyone owns a MZ-S, go check this out for yourself.
It's true that AF speed only came back to MZ levels with the K20... Not talking MZ-S here, but the cheaper consumer offerings like the MZ-6 (which is quite fine by the way!) and so on...

08-25-2010, 02:18 AM   #218
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Of course, it costs a lot of money for using an APS sensor.
This model isn't going to success, in my opinion and especially in this price unless it is a full frame one.
In this economical crisis only professionals could give this budjet, as you need nice lenses and flashes. For a little more I could get a Nikon D700 or a Canon 5D (full frame bodies) I would give the money for a full frame Pentax body, although I am not a professional.
For APS sensor my Pentax K10D and K20D is enough.

So, Pentax, you owe a full frame option to your funs.
08-25-2010, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by teogin Quote
For APS sensor my Pentax K10D and K20D is enough.

So, Pentax, you owe a full frame option to your funs.
Agreed, although a massive jump in IQ might convince those who held off on the K7.

What the k20d REALLY needs is more latitude in the highlights. AF / metering issues aside, the low highlight latitude is where I see the biggest IQ deficiency in the product compared to cameras like the D90. One stop of highlights makes a big difference outdoors, and blown specular highlights (to my eyes) are the most glaring indication that the camera is digital.

Sure you can expose dark, but when the camera's dynamic range is a problem, you get some pretty noisy shadows during PP. Really, DR is where they need to improve, not MP.

I really hope that this high MP sensor isn't a jump that will cause them to be unable to improve more important IQ issues (noise and DR).
08-25-2010, 08:56 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Agreed, although a massive jump in IQ might convince those who held off on the K7.

What the k20d REALLY needs is more latitude in the highlights. AF / metering issues aside, the low highlight latitude is where I see the biggest IQ deficiency in the product compared to cameras like the D90. One stop of highlights makes a big difference outdoors, and blown specular highlights (to my eyes) are the most glaring indication that the camera is digital.

Sure you can expose dark, but when the camera's dynamic range is a problem, you get some pretty noisy shadows during PP. Really, DR is where they need to improve, not MP.

I really hope that this high MP sensor isn't a jump that will cause them to be unable to improve more important IQ issues (noise and DR).
I agree with you completely.

That having been said from a comparison of images on imaging resource comparometer I'd say the K-5 should be able to reach Kx high ISO levels or even surpass them slightly by about half a stop max at high ISO.

The A55 also has a much, much cleaner blue channel than the K-7 at all ISO settings. Good news for landscape shooters who like b&w. The other channels seem also much cleaner.

I hope the dynamic range and highlight latitude is improving as well, hard to judge that from the sample jpg shots. Highlight detail seems ever so slightly better in the A55 jpg images.

Last edited by Agnostic; 08-25-2010 at 09:23 AM.
08-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote
I agree with you completely.

That having been said from a comparison of images on imaging resource comparometer I'd say the K-5 should be able to reach Kx high ISO levels or even surpass them slightly by about half a stop max at high ISO.

The A55 also has a much, much cleaner blue channel than the K-7 at all ISO settings. Good news for landscape shooters who like b&w. The other channels seem also much cleaner.

I hope the dynamic range and highlight latitude is improving as well, hard to judge that from the sample jpg shots. Highlight detail seems ever so slightly better in the A55 jpg images.
So this sensor is likely a Sony, the same one that is found the A55?

That would be ideal, the dynamic range of that camera is about 9 stops, with almost a full stop of highlight latitude.

I'm excited
08-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Agnostic Quote

This would be awesome!

P.S: Hey! on a side note, can you tell me how to link your PPG gallery but have a differnet text than the URL. (A clickable link). Like you have, where it says My Pentax photo gallery.

<a href="LINK HERE">TEXT</a> is not working. I had the link before, but erased it and now can't seems to put it back.

Thanks
08-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
This would be awesome!

P.S: Hey! on a side note, can you tell me how to link your PPG gallery but have a differnet text than the URL. (A clickable link). Like you have, where it says My Pentax photo gallery.

<a href="LINK HERE">TEXT</a> is not working. I had the link before, but erased it and now can't seems to put it back.

Thanks
I removed the first square bracket, otherwise it will just create the link so:
*square bracket*url=http://etc]link text[/url]
08-25-2010, 12:36 PM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Certainly looks like the new Sony Exmor sensor used in the Sony A55 and A580. Does the K-5 have 1080p like the Sony models?
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #225
Veteran Member

If it's the same sensor in a fully sealed body along with overhauled AF, this could be a simply brilliant camera that will have K20D owners upgrading in droves!