Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
wait till Photokina, all news would be anounced. You would be suprised !
Stop that teasing ...

I'd really like to be surprised. I'll be at photokina to make sure

08-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #242
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Inspector 17 Quote
Is Pentax hiding a big secret about the K-5? that it is FF?
That would hit the spot for me. Really, a 35mm sensor in K-7 type body is a dream came true.

Seriously, they have a killer camera in low-end segment already. Make one in the high-end and they will be all set for the win, with traditional Pentax value and IQ even Canikon would be threatened.
08-26-2010, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seriously doubt the K-5 will be FF. Not at the $1600 US price point. That would be great, but I would be totally thrilled with the proverbial K-7 with K-x noise profile.

The Canon 60D = Cr@p; a cheap plastic body with MP overkill. How many consumers really own glass that can satisfy that pixel density? I would love to have heard that the K-5 would feature a 12MP sensor. I know a lot of people on here own a lot of fancy glass, but most consumers don't and can't take advantage of all those MP. I would love to see a semi-pro (APS-C) body from P'tax that would have fantastic low-light (small-aperture) performance to take full advantage of the superior kit lenses and consumer-level glass they have.

I can't wait to see the RAW performance of the Sony A55 vs. the A580, because that will be the sensor in the new K-5, and the K-5 should (hopefully) have better image processing than the A580 too).

The specs on the K-5 don't promise everything I hoped, and 16MP in a APS-C is getting a bit high for what I need, but if it is everything we think it will be, it will be hard for me to wait for the price to come down at all before I upgrade (then maybe I can convert my K110D to infrared
08-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon.partsch Quote
How many consumers really own glass that can satisfy that pixel density?
How many people buy P&S cams w/ that resolution? Same target consumer IMHO

08-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #245
Veteran Member

I'm disappointed in my K7 for night use. I can't shake the hot pixels with long exposures. Long being over 30 seconds. Tried again tonight in 75 degree temps and still getting them after pixel mapping. I may have a dud sensor. If the K5 does not make headway for this type of shooting I'll have to switch brands.
08-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
I'm disappointed in my K7 for night use. I can't shake the hot pixels with long exposures. Long being over 30 seconds. Tried again tonight in 75 degree temps and still getting them after pixel mapping. I may have a dud sensor. If the K5 does not make headway for this type of shooting I'll have to switch brands.

All cameras tend to suffer hot pixels which sucks.

I avoid them by mapping and shooting in RAW, ACR removes them, try that.
08-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #247
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote
This seems to be a weakness of the Samsung sensor used in the K20D and K-7. The supposed return to Sony sensors in the K-5 will likely be better in this area.

08-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How soon is the K-5 going to be available in the US, do you think? Is it going to be like the 645D where we can't get our hands on one except by import?
08-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
How soon is the K-5 going to be available in the US, do you think? Is it going to be like the 645D where we can't get our hands on one except by import?
Supposed to be in October.
08-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #250
Veteran Member

right
08-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #251
Veteran Member

The K-5 (or whatever it's going to be called) will be available just like your K-7 was/is!
08-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
The high ISO and DR advantages of today's D700 will be matched by sub $1K APS-C cameras in 2 years. After that, it's just the pros and the willy-measuring amateurs who will care.

K-5 sounds fab.
With ever-climbing pixel counts, that's highly unlikely. Count among those "who will care" about FF all of us that want a viewfinder that doesn't suck, which will never exist on ANY APS-C dSLR.
08-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #253
Forum Member

I will reserve my judgement for the K5 when it is officially announced.

Sony's offering seems very good however. I like the SLT concept-
Hopefully the Pentax k5 will offer something even better in terms of features.

I will hold onto my k7 dearly and I am still hoping full frame will be coming
08-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #254
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
This seems to be a weakness of the Samsung sensor used in the K20D and K-7. The supposed return to Sony sensors in the K-5 will likely be better in this area.
Is that confirmed or also a rumour at this stage? This is one enhancement to the K20D/K-7 that would be worth the upgrade...

QuoteOriginally posted by sifun Quote
I will reserve my judgement for the K5 when it is officially announced.

Sony's offering seems very good however. I like the SLT concept-
Hopefully the Pentax k5 will offer something even better in terms of features.

I will hold onto my k7 dearly and I am still hoping full frame will be coming
FF would be nice though I'm sure many would be happy with an APS-C cam that can 'do it all' like the Canikon FF offerings (apart from the viewfinder )...
08-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #255
ogl
Banned

Late October