Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #391
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Funny thing is that when I bought the K10, I thought it was better in my hands than the Canon/Nikon rivals, which I felt were too heavy and too big. Actually I don't have especially large hands.

In K-7 I also thought it is a bit too light, meaning more difficult to handle slower shutter speeds with my not too steady hands... I'd also like to keep all my fingers firmly in the grip, including the little finger.

Anyway thanks for the comments, I am glad to hear the some of you with larger hands do like the K-7, I may have to get use to a more compact body - now that I have develop the desire to have the new Pentax body, having grown out of the K10

09-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #392
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I had a K20D with the special Japan-only extra-large grip.

Nevertheless, I prefer the grip and solid feeling of my K-7 now. In comparison, the K20D (or so-called pro bodies from Canikon) feel like the Communist-era tank-like SLRs from East Germany and Russia. They lack the elegance and sophistication any good tool should express somehow. That's my personal opinion.

Falk,

LOL, LOL

Yes I have a few K20D's with battery grips, and although the combo is nice, it is BIG. I do not have a K7, but have picked it up and the size is MUCH more to my liking.

I would love a KX size camera with a battery pack and the features of at least the K200D ...

What a great middle line up camera that would be :- )

wll
09-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #393
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I had a K20D with the special Japan-only extra-large grip.
I read that you could send your K20D in to Hamburg and let it alternate. Never did it my self.
09-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #394
Veteran Member

Guys, for those that were looking for 100% crops from the 7D and made general remarks about soft images, I've started a thread over on another part of the forum that tests my 7D against my K20D.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/113314...mage-myth.html

09-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #395
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'll take a look. I don't care a iota about the 7D but I still find the debate interesting.
Thank you.
09-05-2010, 02:47 AM   #396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I read that you could send your K20D in to Hamburg and let it alternate. Never did it my self.
costs 50€
09-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
Thanks very much for the feedback .
I’ll echo the others; inspiring and diverse work. I also like that you supplement with info about many of the pictures. Like here from N.Y. :

…so tripods are a big no-no in almost all of the attractions (inside the many churches, Rockefeller and Empire State Building to name a few - I also understand you'll be told to move on in Times Square also if you whip out a tripod) so long exposures were out of the question. This was quite a challenge where the dynamic range was large, so I went with handheld auto bracketing for a lot of my shots (-2, 0, +2). I took a compact Velbon travel tripod that folds down to 36 cms and also a Joby Gorillapod which came in handy where tripods were forbidden. I could attach the Gorillapod to pews in the churches and railings where tripods weren't permitted. I also used a polariser on almost every shot”

Regarding alignment and handheld auto bracketing, I take it one can simply use a program like described by Falk; (if the camera doesn’t automatically have it)
LumoLabs -- Busting the alignment myth

You managed to sometimes use tripod ?

For sure the Eos 7D is a most capable camera.
I prefer your picture of Stob Dearg with the River Coupall in the foreground, to the cover you linked to of digital slr photography :
Buachaille Etive Mòr | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Did IQs drop suddenly when I was away???

My post states clearly that regarding noise on long exposures that the 7D offered no advantage over the K20D; this was in response to complaints on this thread about the K20D being noisy on long exposures. I do extensive (several minute) long exposures with both bodies so I am qualified to make this statement. Hot pixels are still a problem with the 7D on exposures of several minutes. Yes, DFS is a total pain in bum with the K20D and being able to turn it off on the 7D is a big benefit. Given the price of the 7D compared to the K20D, I bloody well hoped that I could turn off DFS when it arrived.
The images in the linked thread, appears to underline your sentiment, how the 7D does tend to get noisy on long exposures :
How does the 7D handle LONG exposures? Pentax comparison... [Page 1]: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review

Many have back-up bodies, which I guess could be used when one cam is doing its DFS.
I think I also stumbled upon a thread, stating how Kx was pretty decent at longer exposures.

Anyway, I don't agree with the thought that a dedicated item, such as a DSLR, should be a one-gadget-do-it-all. We buy accessories for certain arrangements, and go for brands that specialize in our niche/area of interest.

Thanks for displaying your work, always a pleasure seeing real photography, instead of just talking about it.

Guys, for those that were looking for 100% crops from the 7D and made general remarks about soft images, I've started a thread over on another part of the forum that tests my 7D against my K20D.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/113314...mage-myth.html
Regarding 100 % crop, I don’t watch artistic photography that way. And as long as it comes out good in print, I don’t spend much time worrying about it.
But thanks anyway, for taking the time. And your set-up seems fine. IMO, you have two good cameras . (And even more important; skill)

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I think there are many who wish that, but also people who feel that the smaller the camera body is, the better. And I gotta say that compact size has been one of the Pentax strengths. I personally (with not the smallest hands, glove size 7 1/2 or 8) wish my next camera is smaller than the K20D I have today.
The K7 combined with handgrip should be good. First time tried K7 in store, I felt like, I preferred the K10. But some have written that much is also habit.
For bringing along a DSLR, form factor is important to me. Smaller and lighter is nice, though built quality and Penta(x)prism VF is important

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
That is exactly the same spot I am in. I thought I would by the K7 but as soon as I got my hands on it I didn't like it. Hope for something slightly bigger, no rubber doors and with bracketing button and SR button back.
Last time I wanted to test it on my K10, I spend forever in the menus looking for bracketing. Had forgotten that it had a separate bottom

Last edited by Jonson PL; 09-05-2010 at 06:11 AM.
09-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #398
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yea, I want a k200d replacement! K-x + some K-7 features but still use AA batteries! Please Pentax, give me a k200 replacement this year!

Lee

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Falk,

LOL, LOL

Yes I have a few K20D's with battery grips, and although the combo is nice, it is BIG. I do not have a K7, but have picked it up and the size is MUCH more to my liking.

I would love a KX size camera with a battery pack and the features of at least the K200D ...

What a great middle line up camera that would be :- )

wll
09-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #399
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I’ll echo the others; inspiring and diverse work. I also like that you supplement with info about many of the pictures. Like here from N.Y. :

…so tripods are a big no-no in almost all of the attractions (inside the many churches, Rockefeller and Empire State Building to name a few - I also understand you'll be told to move on in Times Square also if you whip out a tripod) so long exposures were out of the question. This was quite a challenge where the dynamic range was large, so I went with handheld auto bracketing for a lot of my shots (-2, 0, +2). I took a compact Velbon travel tripod that folds down to 36 cms and also a Joby Gorillapod which came in handy where tripods were forbidden. I could attach the Gorillapod to pews in the churches and railings where tripods weren't permitted. I also used a polariser on almost every shot”

Regarding alignment and handheld auto bracketing, I take it one can simply use a program like described by Falk; (if the camera doesn’t automatically have it)
LumoLabs -- Busting the alignment myth
Yeah, Photomatix did the alignment for me - the 7D rips at 8 frames per second so just set it to hi-speed mode and it will rattle off the 3 exposures with almost perfect alignment anyway.

QuoteQuote:
You managed to sometimes use tripod ?
In a couple of locations, yes I was able to use my tripod - the Velbon tripod I had is 39 cms when collapsed (great for travel) so I was able to perch this on the balustrade at The Top of The Rock and also inside Grand Central Terminal on the balustrade.

Velbon Ultra Luxi L (with PanHead) Tripod £69 London

QuoteQuote:
For sure the Eos 7D is a most capable camera.
I prefer your picture of Stob Dearg with the River Coupall in the foreground, to the cover you linked to of digital slr photography :
Many thanks, but I prefer the one I took in summer.

QuoteQuote:
The images in the linked thread, appears to underline your sentiment, how the 7D does tend to get noisy on long exposures :
How does the 7D handle LONG exposures? Pentax comparison... [Page 1]: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum: Digital Photography Review

Many have back-up bodies, which I guess could be used when one cam is doing its DFS.
I think I also stumbled upon a thread, stating how Kx was pretty decent at longer exposures.
The 7D, the K20D and I'd expect the K-7 and K-x are all very good at long exposures at base ISOs. I certainly got several minutes out of the K20D with no problem other than dark frame subtraction.
09-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #400

Давно хотел попробовать k-7 в действии. В связи с этим продал свой k200d и уже собрался заказать К-7, как узнаю что скоро выпустят k-5. Теперь возникает вопрос, покупать сейчас или подождать выпуска К-5 и будет ли снижение цены на К-7 в связи с выпуском новой модели

Last edited by Lemkes; 09-06-2010 at 03:28 AM.
09-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #401

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
$1650 K-5 is $110 more than 7D, $150 more than D300s

Where did that sub $2,000 full frame K-Mount go I've been reading about since 2007 ?
I agree with Samsungian. Pentax should go Full Frame, that would really get people taking.
As for the K7 body being the best, sorry have to disagree, far too small
09-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Actually, the K-7 has clean ISO 1000 and more. This images is shot at 1000ISO, and as if that wasn't enough, it is cropped 50% as well. No noise reduction.

That's a lovely photo! May I ask what kind of creature are we looking at? I love my K-7, but will of course be sorely tempted by a successor if has all the K-7 has and more.
09-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #403
Forum Member

Sony SLT-A55 review updated with RAW on dpreview and still the K-X high ISO (6400) looks the best
09-07-2010, 06:44 AM   #404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bodhi Quote
Sony SLT-A55 review updated with RAW on dpreview and still the K-X high ISO (6400) looks the best
Why is that bad, It means Pentax have the best processing engine.
Turn that frown upside down.
The A55 performs about the same as the NEX5 and K-x IMO. But it will gain half a stop advantage without the mirror, and about half a stop again with better processing in a much more expensive camera. Remember that the Sony is a cheaper camera, it uses cheaper components. I have never seen a Sony perform better than A Nikon/ Pentax with the same chip.
09-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
Why is that bad, It means Pentax have the best processing engine.
Or more probably it means that the new sensor performs about the same as the old one