Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andi Quote
get rid of AAA batteries, I didn't get K-x because of that.
Sounds really silly these days...

Get rid of AA batteries and I will be severely disappointed. I know many other people that get battery grips just so they can use AA's and share them (and chargers) with other devices.

08-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote

Get rid of AA batteries and I will be severely disappointed. I know many other people that get battery grips just so they can use AA's and share them (and chargers) with other devices.
Same. My Eneloops are doing me just fine, plus I have the security of knowing I can always walk to the store anywhere and buy more AA's should the need be.
08-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote

Agree, I love AA but recently on a trip, handled friends Canon and batteries were really lightweight so won't mind either way.
08-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I like the AAs as well despite not using rechargeables (yet). A set of lithium AAs lasts from here to forever.

What I'd really like to see is a battery compartment that fits 4 AAs OR a single Li-ion battery in the same space. Is that really THAT difficult to design?

08-23-2010, 10:25 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I like the AAs as well despite not using rechargeables (yet). A set of lithium AAs lasts from here to forever.

What I'd really like to see is a battery compartment that fits 4 AAs OR a single Li-ion battery in the same space. Is that really THAT difficult to design?
or they can just update the power circuit to handle CR-V3's. They don't even have to design a new battery.
08-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
And
- replace those damned AA batteries with a proper lithium-ion battery - I carry a couple of rechargeables for the GX-10, and they take up no more space than 4xAA, yet last a whole lot longer and are much cheaper overall
That is an interesting statement. I thought the GX10 was the same as the Pentax K10D and therefore used the same battery solution. Well, my K-x gives more than twice the amount of images on one charge than my K10D gives me. And a battery for the K10D costs twice as much as 4 AA NiHms for the K-x.

So the K10D battery solution gives me half the amount of images per charge, at twice the price - compared to the K-x. I do suspect the GX10 being similar here since it is to my knowledge the same batteries!
08-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Now that I have to maintain and charge separately batteries for K10D and K-7 and previously to W30 it is annoyingly complex. Personally I much rather all these cameras used AA rechargeables. It is not as light but it is uniform and interchangeable so that if one device runs out of juice, batteries from another can be used if necessary. Also, I really like eneloops and recykos that hold good portion of a charge for a long time.
08-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
or they can just update the power circuit to handle CR-V3's. They don't even have to design a new battery.
or update the battery circuitry/regulator to accept "officially" NiZn batteries.

folks have already used these types but are not "officially" accepted by Pentax.

from the past "leaks" it seems like the kr will have LiOn and AA battery options. if so, bravo!

08-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #24

I am surprised no one comments on the LCD. I just think it is mediocre in K-x. A better LCD (900,000 pixels) would make Kr the best bet to buy at entry level
08-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #25
Forum Member

I don't care what type of batteries we can use, as long as they make a battery grip for it! That is the one single thing that would make me upgrade from my K-X.
08-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentakxian Quote
I am surprised no one comments on the LCD. I just think it is mediocre in K-x. A better LCD (900,000 pixels) would make Kr the best bet to buy at entry level
K-x's LCD is pretty bad because of the resolution of the previews. K20D, for instance, is much better, with the same LCD.

Although upgrading the LCD would guarantee an update on the preview resolution, I'd love a tilt/swivel for on the ground or over the head/crowd shots.

Last edited by Eruditass; 08-24-2010 at 07:52 AM.
08-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I don't care about batteries or weather sealing. However, I want a viewfinder equal to the K10/K20, a 460K LCD display and front and rear dials.

Kind regards
.lars
08-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote

The K-7 grip can accept both. But you see the difficulty: to match Li-On voltage you need 6 AAs. Maybe they'll find a solution for the K-r. It would be nice if it was able to switch between 4AAs and a Li-On (preferably the same battery model as the K-7).

Li-On are only nice when you have 1 or 2 devices. Once you get a Phone, an MP3 player, etc, your walls are filled with different chargers.
08-26-2010, 01:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Sounds like from what most of you want out of a camera....you should be owning a K-7 already!

Jason
08-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given that the K-x, K-r and K-7 are all going to remain in the line-up we can surmise that the K-r will not exceed most of the K-7's key specifications

i.e. I would expect the K-r to have

1/6000 shutter
between 4 and 5 fps (possibly up to 6 depending on what the K-5 can do)
14mp Sensor

That's not much to go on but I think we can rule out the K-7's:

Mag alloy body
Horizon correction
Composition correction
rear-dial
possibly it's 77 segment metering
100% viewfinder

However I would expect the K-r to exceed the K-7 in:

1080p video
AF in video
possible SDXC slot
Generally more accomplished live-view
Possible articulating screen
tweaked AF - i.e. mention of better algorithims of the exising SAFOX rather than the brand new version expected in the K-5. It may or may not get the K-7's AF WB sensor