Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
KR What's new for k-x users?

Would it be even worth upgrading? Most people wont care for FPS. If it's the same sensor, the only missing features in k-x are focus points and the weather proofing. So unless the KR body is weatherproof, IMO, price may not be justified.

or am I missing something?

08-22-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Would it be even worth upgrading? Most people wont care for FPS. If it's the same sensor, the only missing features in k-x are focus points and the weather proofing. So unless the KR body is weatherproof, IMO, price may not be justified.

I don't think anyone knows except those under NDAs. Pentax appears to be playing the same silly game with tiny bits of information "leaked" by them.

But i agree with you, I was hoping for an enhanced Kx with a quiet shutter. The high iso is useful for event photography, but some venues are not friendly to loud shutters. Adding to the frame rate seems often to result in noisy cameras, not to mention blurred images - good luck Kr.
08-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With the rumors which have been leaked about each body, how can anyone possibly be making decisions like this at this point? The info leaked (is it even accurate?) only gives us iso, fps and pixel count...says nothing about the finer details of a camera body which will make not only those features usable or not, but more about the overall features-set of the cameras which are due for release in the near future.
Id say sight tight, let the bodies hit the market and see what the real-world tells us about these bodies, not the rumor mill and arbitrary numbers that seem to be thrown around.

Jason
08-23-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess: the R is for WR

08-23-2010, 12:40 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote

I'm agree but if is possible i would like add even three other things:
- more silence shoot (as happen on the k7)
- front/back focus regulation on camera (yes i known that other entry-level don't have this feauture but i think should be put on every reflex and don't cost add this functionality)
- the same AF present now on the k7 (for the moment the k-x use the same AF present on k20d).
08-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
- the same AF present now on the k7 (for the moment the k-x use the same AF present on k20d).
I think the only reason the K-x is officially SAFOX VIII and not VIII+ is the lack of WB sensor used in K7 to compensate for WB when AFing and/or AF illuminator.

The AF system itself (speed/accuracy) is on par if not better than K-7, if reports on this forum and others are accurate.
08-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

And
- replace those damned AA batteries with a proper lithium-ion battery - I carry a couple of rechargeables for the GX-10, and they take up no more space than 4xAA, yet last a whole lot longer and are much cheaper overall
- Illuminate the focus points (which I understand are not currently illuminated) - I use that a lot, especially when photographing aircraft

Those are the two main reasons why I would not consider a Kx, much as I like the rest of its features.

08-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Kr Upgrade from Kx

I personally don't mind the AA's, i would love to have a quiter shutter however. I also miss the TAv mode on Kx. A better LCD, possibly a tilt-swivel, faster live view focusing, faster flash sync and HDMI port would be nice. If all these features will be present on the Kr, I will be very tempted to upgrade.
08-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Drat! I forgot how much I miss the TAv mode until this post. Drat. And as a Pentax exclusive (??), it would help with the competitive positioning.

AF illuminator and, of course, AF points.

That's about it, I think. Until someone suggests something good but non-video.

We'll get more, I'm sure. Especially in video - a medium of which I'm hopeless ignorant.
08-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by agsy Quote
I personally don't mind the AA's, i would love to have a quiter shutter however. I also miss the TAv mode on Kx. A better LCD, possibly a tilt-swivel, faster live view focusing, faster flash sync and HDMI port would be nice. If all these features will be present on the Kr, I will be very tempted to upgrade.
Totally agreed, but doesn't it sounds like we are turning K-r into a T2i clone now......?

The customizable color option was the key success to the K-x, kinda opened a "new" realm for the current dslr market....but just looking at the K-r spec, it just sounds like new dog old trick for many, i suspected
08-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Inactive Account

At a minimum:

f2.8 center point AF and working predictive AFC

Icing on the cake:
quieter shutter
GRIP GRIP GRIP
wired remote and ext mike jack
AF adjust even for 5 lenses would be sweet
af illumination points (for those who need it)
AF in video

leave those AA's in. option for LiIon would be good
08-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

and 889$
08-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #13

get rid of AAA batteries, I didn't get K-x because of that.
Sounds really silly these days...
08-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
The ONLY way I'll upgrade to a KR is if it has:

Improved AF
(obviously) ISO performance equal to or exceeding the K-x
Battery Grip
Cable remote/flash sync jack
Bigger and/or tilting screen
Dedicated RAW/ISO buttons

And while WR wouldn't be a make or break, it would certainly be nice.
I'll probably just get a K-7 since the price will most likely drop, though.
08-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

has k-7 af,same sensor type but newer version,is faster and not only aa available.
more is spec
ahh...and have a nice,correct price